Mike1072
  • Gibberling Poobah
  • 2531 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:40 PM

@Mike1072 Thanks for suggestion but it looks like you are to bound to BWS
1. No, not true
2. Doesn't matter
3. No, not true

No need for database/cache metadata. The <modname>.ini scheme is much better from the bigger picture(simple copy without adding "-metadata"), not from single mod and I'm happy that it's not a problem anymore.

Guess I'll have to take your word for it.

#32 ALIENQuake

ALIENQuake
  • Modders
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:44 PM

Just to be incredibly contrarian about this, Zeitgeist will support INI over my dead body*. It's not a suitable format for abstracted editing, for lack of a better term (that is, parsing it, presenting it with abstracted controls, say GUI widgets, allowing the user to change values within predefined bounds and doing something useful with the results); JSON's where it's at (the offshoots are less widely supported and are thus less qualified). Hell, even XML is better. The only way INI works if it's like today, where the user essentially opens text files in editors and change values at ver own risk. I'm not the dictator here; people can use whatever they like and build whatever ecosystems they like, but don't expect me to not be difficult about it.

*My being alive or dead is probably not relevant; INI would be unsupportable, regardless.

On the wider point of why metadata shouldn't be stored in the TP2, it's because having to run WeiDU every time you wanted to get to the information is terrible and unreasonable (and having to implement a TP2 parser in your program would be ridiculous) and WeiDU has not use for it, itself. Aside from having to have WeiDU available, in the right version, there are the considerations of needing to run a, possibly non-blocking, inferior process interactively, or at the least needing to run an inferior process and then having to read from whatever file to which you directed the process' output. Having the information in a widely supported standard format is the way to go; with a little luck, whatever tool/language you are using has native support for the format, and away you go. The unfortunate downside is that if you want per-component metadata, you have to duplicate and maintain the component structure in a second file.

The ini format is suitable for mod metadata. Modder doesn't need to learn about JSON at all for things like mod name, author, description and simple url. The configuration sould be stored in another file anyway (because of the updatemod>overwrite settings problem) so it can have JSON format for those who will need it. But for simple o/1 or true/false options, I think ini will also be fine. So why not support for both ini and JSON?

I think we all agree about 'data inside tp2' as a dead end. 

#33 ALIENQuake

ALIENQuake
  • Modders
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:07 AM

Example for Tweaks Anthology:

Metadata from setup-cdtweaks.ini (match tp2 name)

[Mod]
# Full name of the mod, without version number
Name = Tweaks Anthology

# Author name or nick
Author = Project Lead: CamDawg, Authors: Andyr, the bigg, DavidW, grogerson, Idobek, and Wes Weimer, Contributors: Angel, Ardanis/GeN1e, argent77, aVENGER, Baldurdash, Blucher, Davide Carte, Domi, Galactygon, icelus, Icendoan, japheth, jcompton, Karzak, Luiz, Mike1072, Miloch, plainab, Richardson, Sabre, subtledoctor, Wendy Yung, Zed Nocear

# Description of the mod itself
Description = This mod includes and deprecates a slew of other mods: the BG2 Tweak Pack, the G3 Tweak Pack, the Tutu Tweak Pack, Wes Weimer's Ease of Use, the Icewind Dale Tweak Pack, the Icewind Dale II Tweak Pack, the Baldur's Gate Tweak Pack, and the Planescape: Torment Tweak Pack.

# Link to HomePage
HomePage = http://www.gibberlings3.net/tweaks/

# Link to dedicated forum or forum thread 
Forum = http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=34

# Direct download link, preferred hosting is github.com, for last release link use 'https://lynxlynx.info/ie/modhub.php?AccountName/Repository
Download = https://lynxlynx.info/ie/modhub.php?Gibberlings3/Tweaks-Anthology

Presentation: https://imgur.com/a/FWs3U8f

ojqzEG2.png

Notice that Version and Readme path are taken from tp2. What do you think?

Edited by ALIENQuake, 07 November 2018 - 05:29 PM.

#34 DavidW

DavidW
  • Gibberlings
  • 4619 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:00 AM

I don’t understand the “lynxlynx” bit.

#35 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6827 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:19 AM

I don’t understand the “lynxlynx” bit.

Just read this pages info. Aka: "Microservice to find the latest or latest (pre)release version of a mod hosted on GitHub

It will automatically redirect to the desired archive. Defaults to archived code of the latest proper release."

Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#36 Sam.

Sam.
  • Modders
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:20 AM

Maybe bold the keys to help distinguish them from their values?
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

-- to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

Posted Image
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#37 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modders
  • 4819 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:06 AM

Sound idea.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." -Terry Pratchett

#38 ALIENQuake

ALIENQuake
  • Modders
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:36 AM

Sound idea.

Done. Also the mod name has version at the TreeView.

Regarding lynx 'modhub':

I will definitely try to implement such functions directly in my tool so modders could just simply put 

Download = https://github.com/Gibberlings3/Tweaks-Anthology

and that's it  :thumbsup:

Edited by ALIENQuake, 22 October 2018 - 08:37 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users