Mute Creatures in BG2

Caillean

Another thing I noticed when playing both my BG2 and BGT installations: all creatures that don't talk won't make any sounds at all - like monsters and animals. Game is BG2 + ToB in English, GemRB version 0.8.4. Again, tested on a clean installation as well, so no mod is responsible. Is it just me?

No, rather the battle cries, being wounded, and so on. Basically the whole soundset, but in the case of animals and monsters with no tlk entry. Same goes for shapechanged forms, when a druid shapechanges into e. g. a bear or werewolf. They still use their usual soundset, but I don't think they're supposed to be. It's the vanilla creatures, but also affects mods. These days I installed a new Ranger kit, that allows to shapechange into a werebear. Along with the animations comes a 2da file that lists the sounds and goes into the override folder, but it won't work.

Now that you mention the random stuff while standing around - there're these random comments that are supposed to come up during day / night or in different area types (dungeon / wilderness / city), when being fatigued and so on.... they only ever come up after travelling to a new area via the worldmap. A new area loads and everyone in the party just starts giving comments. But that's small stuff, really, I just remembered now when you mentioned it.

Ah, so the animation soundsets. For the shapechange thing I also don't know what the original did, but I can easily imagine we always use the "human" version due to the way some of this is implemented. Would have to check more thoroughly why you don't get any sounds though.

Travelling takes a long time, so chars often get fatigued. It's not so noticeable otherwise, since you only get 1 fatigue point per 4 hours (20min of unpaused gametime) ...

Animation soundsets, that's it! So this is really a problem others don't have? Well, I'd say, if it's not a common problem, no bother with it.

As for the random comments - it's not just the fatigue ones that fire immediately after I enter a new area and only then. Everyone starts talking across each other, the bored comments and the area specific ones mostly. The random comments like 'Can we go kill something now?' of Lilacor (the talking sword) also don't work. But again, if it's just me, I can live with that. All things considered, I'd prefer GemRB a dozen times over messing around with wine or windows :) Just thought I'd let you know.

Unless I'm playing the game, I don't use audio, so things like this are less noticeable to developers. There's only so many times you can listen to the intro theme in a day before it starts getting annoying ...

From what you report, the bored and area timings seem to persist from the last area, so the jump in time due to travelling makes them overdue. I'll add that to the todo. Btw, the shadow one from the other thread is already fixed. Lilarcor could be special, since it's not an actor.

Heh, I can imagine it's getting on your nerves after a while. Timing issues with those random comments sounds probable (to me, anyway). The other thread is marked as solved now - btw, had the same issue with ghouls now, they looked like ettercaps. Never noticed before, since they're not that common in BG2.

Edit: Re-checked on the fresh installation in the ghoul town in BG2, the ghoul lords look like ettercaps alright

There are little things, like a command in a script that causes a CTD, and also some more general observations. Just wouldn't want to sidetrack you over little details if you're working on something else right now. But if it helps and makes sense, I could certainly compile a list of things I noticed. Then you can see what's worth investigating.

any crashes: most definitely! Almost 300 changes have been made since the last release, so perhaps it's fixed already, but it's better to be sure.

I guess a list could be an ok start, since some stuff will likely be pruned, but otherwise one thing per topic is best.

Archived