Mod introduction

This mod expands the number of resolutions available to Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, allowing you to play at pretty much any resolution in the spectrum.

The current build is an open beta. notable restrictions are:

- the Y axis must be greater or equal than 600.

- The X axis must be strictly greater than 800 and different from 1280.

- The mod might work or not on SoA, or on different versions of the game (it's only tested on Italian/European 26798 ToB). Testing is required.

- The mod requires a beta version of WeiDU (attached). Please install as first mod and do not use it in a stack operation.

Edited by the bigg

I have a stupid question. Increasing the resolution means, a small window on the screen becomes bigger? So, if I have a monitor that scales the game window up already to full monitor size (which is what my comp does), would I still profit from this mod and how?

Your monitor does not do what this mod does. Your monitor takes, for example, the game at 800x600 and just stretches it to the full size of your monitor. This mod makes the game the actual size of your monitor, 1440x900 for example. Your monitor does not make the game 1400x900 it just stretches the normal game sizes to full screen. I hope I explained that well, if not the Bigg will surely correct me.

Yes, menus will be the same area in pixels, and appear smaller, whereas the game area's pixel dimension will be expanded. For an example, see the screenshots in PST.

BG2 will be treated much more nicely (expanded dialogue box area, no black boxes), but the PST screenshot should be somewhat clear.

Since you'll be playing at your monitor's native resolutions, pictures will also be sharper (since you won't have your picture distorted to fit your screen).

I'm worried about the characters size; i remember perfectly the only time i tried a resolution higher than 800x600... i disliked it a lot. In the unmodded game, a "high" resolution configuration makes the characters size so small that you have to take a magnifying glass to see them.

How it goes with this mod? What character size should i expect from a 19' or 22' TFT native resolution?

Can i play with a 19' or 22' TFT with 640x480 with just the usual loss of quality? (without this mod, obviously)

SirLancelot

Can i play with a 19' or 22' TFT with 640x480 with just the usual loss of quality? (without this mod, obviously)

Of course you can - all the mod does is to allow you to select previously unavailable resolutions. If 640x480 is good enough for you, then you don't need WSM.

OTOH, if your characters at 1024x768 on a 22'' look too small, I'd suggest you to consult with an oculist - I can play either 1024x768 on a 13.3'' or 1680x1050 on a 20'' without difficulty, and I wear strong glasses (-4.5 dioptries on both eyes).

"OTOH, if your characters at 1024x768 on a 22'' look too small, I'd suggest you to consult with an oculist - I can play either 1024x768 on a 13.3'' or 1680x1050 on a 20'' without difficulty, and I wear strong glasses (-4.5 dioptries on both eyes)"

Yes i'm myopic too, i have -5-5 on the left eye and -6 on the right and astigmatism and must use one of the most expensive pair of lens available on the market.

I tried 1024x768 on a 19" and the characters seemed too small for me. Sure, i can play with that configuration, but i prefer to see the dummies more detailed.

PS: Are you serious about the 1680x1050 part?

SirLancelot

Quick nooby question. BG2 supports experimental higher resolutions out of the box. The thing is, I have heard complains that the game is much more prone to crash if the are selected, which always kept me from trying them out. Is this still an issue and how does this mod influence game stability?