Two questions on this mod

Hmm. The MostRecentApplication is probably just Windows' temporary list of recent programs used. Not relevant to the installer.

The other two (the SOA/BG2 keys), if they have no path entries, are probably just remnants of an old install, but I see no harm in removing them -- and it is possible that one of those is preventing your DVD's installer program from to giving you the option to start a new install.

Well, then, just install the game to any other computer and copy the game folder from that to a USB or other transportable media and that's it. And then you can uninstall it from the other computer ... It's 2.5 Gbs, so that's not really that much.

And yeah, you need to start the game from the BGMain.exe, not the baldur.exe ... but you shouldn't be using that either way because it just open up the front-end program that just starts the BGMain.exe anyways, meaning it's for naught.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

The installer must be finding something on the system still that makes it think the game is already installed. Do you see an entry for the game in the control panel (add/remove programs)? If yes, try removing that too...

Jarno's suggestion would also work, but remember that if you ever copy/move the game folder, you must manually edit baldur.ini and correct the game folder path lines (lines starting with CD and HD) before you install mods or play.

The installer must be finding something on the system still that makes it think the game is already installed.

Exactly - the thing is, where to look for it? I was beginning to wonder if someone on the BioWare fourms might know, but they are down as well... :)

Do you see an entry for the game in the control panel (add/remove programs)? If yes, try removing that too...

I do, actually - in the control panel, the entry is still there, but very much nothing happens if I try to remove it - the HDD activity indicator flashes for a while and this is it. Similarly if I try to use CCleaner.

Well, then, just install the game to any other computer and copy the game folder from that to a USB or other transportable media and that's it.

The trouble is, if the system now sees things regardless of whether the game is still there or not, if I copy a folder (and I had one in place anyway), it will still be some kind of "disconnected" install, and that's bound to create problems...

At the moment, the question seems to be where it looks for indicators for the installer, and how to edit them.

The trouble is, if the system now sees things regardless of whether the game is still there or not, if I copy a folder (and I had one in place anyway), it will still be some kind of "disconnected" install, and that's bound to create problems...*

At the moment, the question seems to be where it looks for indicators for the installer, and how to edit them.

*Erhm, that's where the genius of my plan is... you can restore/move the game as many times as you wish, to anywhere you wish it to be(when you edit the baldur.ini -file path directories)... and then try to uninstall it... which will then eventually allow you to get back to not have the game installed in the computer in the first place and then install it. Or just skip the whole w-ho-ha of trying to find the place in the first place as we know that one can use the copy. I would know, as I have done this for 7 different simultaneously installed and working games on a single computer when I actively moded the game in the past... and played the 3 Total Conversion mods(IwDinBG2, Classic Adventures, Epic Endeavors.) and BGT-weidu.

The installation issue, at least, seems to have been resolved.

Solution, in case anyone runs into similar problems:

As per the advice given here (post 9), there are 2 keys to delete, plus a hidden directory. However, on my computer at least, the numerical-named key and directory could not be found.

Searching the registry for "baldur", though, found (along with some keys in 'Audio', for some reason), this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{7af32ab1-cb97-11d4-9607-0050ba84f5f7} - neither in exactly the same location, nor with the same number, but there was a directory for it as well; deleting both seemingly fixed the problem (the game disappeared from the Add/Remove Programs list, and the setup opted to install).

Now let's see how installing the mod will go. :)

Unfortunately, even with supposedly "clean" installs of both games, the AV off and installing to a "clean" (new, that is) folder, I still get very much the same result - a 2.5 GB installation, and exactly the same error message as before, with the log file empty. Now, this time, looking a bit more carefully through the text in the DOS window, I see a reference to some file in the iwd_in_bg2\workspace directory called log.debug - in fact, it asks that it be mailed to G3. Shall I somehow send it, and if so, what would be the most convenient way?

Edited by DragonRider

.. I see a reference to some file in the iwd_in_bg2\workspace directory called log.debug - in fact, it asks that it be mailed it to G3. Shall I somehow send it, and if so, what would be the most convenient way?

Open the file with Notepad and copy paste the text to the very next post !

Dah.

It won't open, though, with Notepad... :) It is listed as a 'debug', not text file, thus "Windows cannot open file", etc.

Yeah... so what, you just need to go through the options until you can choose to select a program to open it with, and set the program to be Notepad. That's what everyone has done. At least on newer Windows(xp, Win 7, 8, 10).

You can open the .tp2 file this way too, to see the install text commands.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola