Request: An in-game reason to go to IWD

Ser Elryk

I was just wondering if the plan was still to have IWD be a location on the world map that you could just randomly go to for no reason.

Personally, I'd really like to see CHARNAME and party be given a reason in-game to optionally go there, so that it feels more like a large side-quest or an expansion. I think just randomly picking up and going to IWD just for giggles would just feel a little odd to me. Can one or some of you amazing modders/writers please think on it, at least? =)

Also, thank you immensely to everyone who is working on, and contributing to this amazing project. Seriously.

In a number of discussions earlier this year this topic was elaborated. The outcome of the discussion was that (currently) EET itself would not provide this *glue* but it was up to modders to do so. See http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27783&page=2&do=findComment&comment=243963 and surrounding entries.

In my soon-to-be-released mod I have included this idea for IWD1 and HoW. The mod gives you a reason to go there and also connects some parts of the main plot to IWD (also some new stuff is added). The downside of such an approach is that you get a certain *window* within the main evolution of the plot at which a visit to IWD or HoW makes sense. You need to do certain things first to qualify for the journey (e.g. not prior to Nashkel mines solved) - on the other hand, stuff will not trigger when you go too late (after Sarevok's defeat). In the latter case you can still go there to do plain IWD plot but there is no longer a connection to the Iron Throne activities.

There is also a mod developped that adds IWD specific banters and reactions to your Sword Coast company during IWD.http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27760&page=3&do=findComment&comment=246035

Edited by Roxanne

Thank you very much for the info, Roxanne =)

I can't wait for the day when I can play though all of EET + IWD + tons of other mods, and all with Sandrah by my side ^__^

I still wait for this http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741&page=13&do=findComment&comment=246214 to release the mod.

At least NTotSC is essential.

IWD contents would install like any other mod if Sandrah finds it during the own installation process.

Edited by Roxanne

I can't wait for the day when I can play though all of EET + IWD + tons of other mods, and all with Sandrah by my side ^__^

I still wait for this http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741&page=13&do=findComment&comment=246214 to release the mod.

IWD contents would install like any other mod if Sandrah finds it during the own installation process.

I'll most likely have to wait until everything is install-able via BWS, anyway

Do you have an updated README for Sandrah yet? I'd love to check it out!

EET should provide the technical glue for IWDEE content; but modders like Roxanne and others should be able to provide the narrative glue.

Roxanne, regarding NTotSC: doesn't that use a bunch of IWD areas? Wouldn't it be weird to have both NTotSC and IWDEE-in-EET in the same game? Or am I misunderstanding what NTotSC is?

I'll most likely have to wait until everything is install-able via BWS, anyway

Do you have an updated README for Sandrah yet? I'd love to check it out!

IWD in EET will not conflict with any other mod available or planned for EET (the only candidate would be NEJ which recycles IWD areas and characters on large scale - NTotSC has unique areas and NPCs - there is no idea to make NEJ compatible with EET, the mod's author is a flaming enemy of EE).

The readme was on SHS until their recent loss of data, here is a copy (reflecting what is available today).

Sandrah NPC for EET_Readme.pdf

Edited by Roxanne

I was just wondering if the plan was still to have IWD be a location on the world map that you could just randomly go to for no reason.

Personally, I'd really like to see CHARNAME and party be given a reason in-game to optionally go there, so that it feels more like a large side-quest or an expansion. I think just randomly picking up and going to IWD just for giggles would just feel a little odd to me. Can one or some of you amazing modders/writers please think on it, at least? =)

Also, thank you immensely to everyone who is working on, and contributing to this amazing project. Seriously.

Due to SoD story the inital plan to provide IWD1 storyline as it is has changed recently. SoD spoilers:

The bad guy of the expansion is not really Caelar Argent but Belfihet, the demon banished from the Prime by Icewind Dale heroes.

On 'EET Workroom' section of the forum I'm discussing with AWizardDidIt how to resolve this conflict and we came up with a plot that allows both IWD1 and IWD2 content to be available. Details are not yet finalised, so not sure if we should present them here yet and if it's even a good idea to spoil the mod before it's even released. But yes, there is a reason to finish IWD1 campaign and it doesn't conflict with SoD story anymore.

In my soon-to-be-released mod I have included this idea for IWD1 and HoW. The mod gives you a reason to go there and also connects some parts of the main plot to IWD (also some new stuff is added). The downside of such an approach is that you get a certain *window* within the main evolution of the plot at which a visit to IWD or HoW makes sense. You need to do certain things first to qualify for the journey (e.g. not prior to Nashkel mines solved) - on the other hand, stuff will not trigger when you go too late (after Sarevok's defeat). In the latter case you can still go there to do plain IWD plot but there is no longer a connection to the Iron Throne activities.

huh, you've finished implementing it already? I will send you PM regarding it. Hopefully it won't screw your efforts.

There is also a mod developped that adds IWD specific banters and reactions to your Sword Coast company during IWD.http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27760&page=3&do=findComment&comment=246035

This is not really a mod but part of the core IWD-in-EET. You won't be able to skip installation of NPC interjections.

Edited by K4thos

How hard would it be to add a Wanted -poster for adventurers in the BG games ? After all that's what the whole plot of IwD revolves around, the party comes to the Easthaven... in search of loot. And stays for the experience points or as a dead corpse frozen to a solid lump.

IWDinEET still on hold while work goes on ironing out EET for 1.0 right? We aren't likely to see IWDinEET any time soon correct?

That depends on the definition of soon... it has only been 15 years since the ToB came out. :devlook:

IWDinEET still on hold while work goes on ironing out EET for 1.0 right? We aren't likely to see IWDinEET any time soon correct?

That depends on the definition of soon... it has only been 15 years since the ToB came out. :devlook:

This ;) And yes, EET 1.0 has priority now. We're also waiting to see if next patch will also cover IWD:EE. Updating the old version to patch 2.x only to find out that most of the work on this was useless wouldn't be exactly bright idea.

Edited by K4thos

Please don't force us to complete Nashkel or any quests. Please just let us go to IWD by default in Chapter 1 pretty please.

I think nobody intends to force anything. EET lets you do things as you want. If some mod wants to connect/integrate IWD deeper with the BG main story it may require some conditions to be met before IWD makes sense. In this case the mod will tell you about that approach and you can decide to install or not install it.

The In-game reason to go to IWD proposed and discussed in this thread should be understood as an option.

PS - the fact that some mod (IWD is a mod in the EET context), task,or plot becomes available at a certain stage of the game is not so unusual, it is rather the norm in Baldur's Gate.

Edited by Roxanne

I think Bill is just advocating a "Keep It Simple" approach. EET could have an NPC who says "wanna get on my boat and kill some monsters up north?" In the Friendly Arm Inn or on the Candlekeep Coast. Then if a modder wants to make it more integrated, you can move that NPC to a late-game area, or trigger the NPC's spawning after some chapter's completion, or just disable the NPC and devise whatever method you like.

I think the key considerations are:

- simple and accessible for players who don't care and just want to play through IWDEE

- easy to modify by modders who want to create a more interesting and integrated experience.

That's why I suggest keeping TotLM pretty separate; it's there if you want to go from Lonelywood, but make it easy for a modder to shift the entry point to the south and make it a separate adventure, a Watcher's Keep-style place.