Cleric's weapon proficiency

Guest Demivrgvs

Guest Demivrgvs

Have you thought about a tweak for letting clerics have proficiency in all weapons?

I think that's silly they can only use blunt weapons...

Something along the line has been made in Ashes of Embers mod but they do it for every class and removed too many restriction...for example with that mod druids can use swords and mage two handed halabards!!!

Have you thought about a tweak for letting clerics have proficiency in all weapons?
I agree Ashes of Embers goes a bit far with removing restrictions. I had thought this would be appropriate as an optional component in something like Divine Remix, since it should be up to the individual cleric's deity whether he/she permits certain weapons. I think the Feywarden of Corellon (elven deity) does permit swords. Similarly, Tempus as god of battle (and having a sword for a holy symbol) probably wouldn't be against it. And I really doubt the half-orc god Gruumsh would frown on his shamans using edged weapons. :rant: Also, multiclass fighter-clerics and cleric-rangers are a bit too restricted. There is a 'Yeslick' tweak that allows all fighter-clerics to use axes, but cleric-rangers should be able to use swords (yeah I know it's not a FR example, but take someone like Aragorn in LotR who was a healer, a ranger and a swordsman).

I use Ashes of Embers with discretion, but I do use it.

I love running clerics, and always have. I think it makes sense for Anomen to wield a sword, a spear, or any other martial implement he can lay his 18/52 strength hands on. I don't remmeber off the top of my head whether he is a cleric of Helm or of Torm (I think it might actually be Torm, but I'm not certain), so swords would be all right. It also makes sense that poor, squeamish Gavin is going to prefer to use a hammer (not necessarily because of the blood thing, but as a reminder that a weapon is a tool, like a hammer.) Gavin's god is Lathander, who is nowhere near as warlike.

The point is that Ashes of Embers does not force you to choose pointy weapons for clerics, mages, or anyone else. It just doesn't prevent it.

The point is that Ashes of Embers does not force you to choose pointy weapons for clerics, mages, or anyone else. It just doesn't prevent it.
Yeah, but anything I'm not prevented from using, I'm going to use. We already started having a similar discussion on the SCS board about use of BG2 spells in BG1/Tutu. :rant: Removing all weapon restrictions tends to unbalance the game IMO.

Balance is why they were stuck there in the first place (well, and that hold over from christian priests being not supposed to spill any blood). It's representative of not only ethos, but also the time required to learn to use the thing properly. A sword or an axe is a more fiddly thing to use right than a mace, which is pretty much a club, and time spent learning that is time not spent learning clerical things.

The same goes for mages, who generally don't have time to learn the complexities of swordplay along with their spells.

For balance purpoes i don't think any bastard sword in the game (Helm's weapon of choice is the bastard sword) could be more powerful in the hands of Anomen than the migthy Flail of the Ages! (Speaking of Anomen i always thought that his weapon proficiencies are totally wrong...one arrogant as him using a sling? And than he mention using spears and swords but he can't!)

Anyway i think that up to 3rd edition clerics are allowed to use adged weapon...and in bg2 even if you allow Viconia using scimitar or else she will be limited to only one point of proficiency (not five like fighters!).

I think the code to modify .2da entry is not difficult as i see in the .tp2 af Ashes of Ember but removing restriction from weapons it's far from my abilities.

I wrote some code a while back that gives cleric/thieves the same restrictions as regular thieves:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.itm$~ ~override~
READ_BYTE  0x1f "useoneb"
READ_BYTE  0x20 "useonec"
PATCH_IF ("%useonec%" BAND 0b01000000) = 0x01000000) BEGIN // if usable by thieves
  WRITE_BYTE 0x1f ("%useoneb%" BAND 0b11111101) // make usable by cleric/thieves
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Nightmere will your code do the same if i change thieves with fighter and cleric/thieves with fighter/clerics? If it is so... Anomen will be able to use swords and pure clerics will remain restricted to their weapons...and i'll be happy!

Kulyok: sure, no problem :rant:.

Guest: not quite. This'll do what you're after:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.itm$~ ~override~
READ_BYTE  0x1f "useoneb"
PATCH_IF ("%useoneb%" BAND 0b00001000) = 0x00001000) BEGIN // if usable by fighters
  WRITE_BYTE 0x1f ("%useoneb%" BAND 0b10111111) // make usable by fighter/clerics
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Archived