SCS won't install on BG2:EE (2.1)

ballad

First off, I'm terribly sorry if I'm creating a redundant topic but I've looked all over these forums and the ones over at Beamdog and can't find this being discussed anywhere, and I'm really at my wit's end.

When I try to install SCS on BG2:EE (with the latest patch, 2.1), the program aborts and gives me a list of errors. I tried using the hotfix detailed here. I also tried installing the BWS fixpack. Both to no avail.

I want to clarify that I am trying to install SCS on the sequel. I got it to work with the original game (2.1 with SoD) just fine.

Is it something on my end or is it really so that SCS is not compatible with the latest installment of BG2:EE?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

An update: I finally managed to install the mod using setup-stratagem.exe, that is, the installer that installs every component immediately after selection. The problem was caused by, it seems, my trying to use the "quick" installer (stratagems-v30.exe).

I apologize for starting an unnecessary thread. I do, however, think that it might be wise to make a temporary sticky of how to get SCS working with the latest patches. A lot of people seem to be struggling with the same issue, and there is no clear authoritative post/guide on the matter.

For all casual players like myself if someone is actually interested (join the queue!). Don't even bother applying all these "fixes" - you will only waste your time. Simply forget about SCS for now and just wait for a proper update by the mod author.

I was looking for some kind of alternative for SCS and found a nice mod - Fields of the Dead. It is on Pocketplane labeled as "beta" but it works on BGEE v.2! I'm quite early in the game (explored only three areas) but no problems so far.

For all casual players like myself if someone is actually interested (join the queue!). Don't even bother applying all these "fixes" -

Umm, did you actually click the link? I'll give it to you again:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/725492/#Comment_725492

It's four files, you just drop them in specific folders in the SCS mod folder. Just because you're a "casual player" does that mean you can't move around a couple files using a basic window/folder file manager that's been the way people use computers since ~1986?

It's not that hard man.

I didn't think a new thread was warranted, cannot get SCS to work on BG2EE specifically:

Basically I install BP Ascension first, just the bare minimum, I run SCS auto install but quit when it command box appears so I can paste the 4 hotfix files in my BG2 folder, then install components, then this. Always an Error message at the start it tries to continue and crashes at some point down the line.

Help would be greartly appreciated. Just working out how to attach file...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzl7HTB-FKfGY2tIbFlwcTVOZnM/view?usp=sharing

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work either, I just get a different error log. Pretty sure I've tried every combination of which installer and when to apply the hotfix.

I've done a screenshot of where that method is failing. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzl7HTB-FKfGWjZMVlZmejBxa00/view?usp=sharing

Looks quite specific "cannot convert spellshieldheader_0 or... to an integer" error: [spwi519.spl] -> override Patching Failed (Copy) (Not_Found)

Stopping innstallation...

I've been trying to break it down into chunks, using the setup_stratagems.exe crashes every so often at seemingly random intervals, alternatively I get errors for specific module, so I've been doing one part at a time and crossing my fingers. Unfortunately ran into an error on one of the crucial components:

ERROR [sPWI593.SPL] Patching failed (COPY) (Failure("Uninitialised return value: \152Kb\006ng"))

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [initialise AI components] (required for all tactical and AI components)]

This happened on BGEE too :(

I had the same problem and found a workaround that solved it to some extent. It's pretty simple. You just copy somebody else's files straight to your BG folder. This means that you don't can't choose what to install, you just stick to the components the other guy chose, but it's certainly better than not having SCS at all. You can find the files here, with thanks to semiticgod (it is his idea): https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/796556/#Comment_796556

Archived