Rebalancing of mods during EE conversion

Roxanne

Here is a suggestion that has been posted originally on the SandrahNPC forum at SHS (by someone who knew that this megamod is currently re-constructed for EET). I think here is the right place for it.

Topic Rebalancing of mods (XP, items etc) in EET

agb1, on 15 Jan 2016 - 11:16, said:

Has anyone created a new BP Balancer type of mod to correct some of the perceived deficiencies of big mods that BP Balancer does not cover yet? I saw that K4thos rebalanced DSotSC items in the EET compatible update he has prepared, so maybe the same approach for the other big mods would be better in the long run (ie rebalance them while updating for EE/EET compatibility, instead of making a new balancer mod).

Roxanne, on 15 Jan 2016 - 11:22, said:

rebalance them while updating for EE/EET compatibility, instead of making a new balancer mod

This is a very good point and this exactly the right moment to bring it up!!!

In BGT we ended up in (three?) mods that tried to balance the game XPs, items etc in the end and they did it cumulative. For EET there should be a unique convention to say it is either done in the mod (while you never know how a user will install the game with one, more or none of the other megamods) or by a final cleanup mod that does a balancing based on which mods are there.

Comment - Part of it seems already been planned for EET-Tweaks???

Has anyone created a new BP Balancer type of mod to correct some of the perceived deficiencies of big mods that BP Balancer does not cover yet? I saw that K4thos rebalanced DSotSC items in the EET compatible update he has prepared, so maybe the same approach for the other big mods would be better in the long run (ie rebalance them while updating for EE/EET compatibility, instead of making a new balancer mod).

Major kudos for balancing DSotSC should go to Vlar, not me. I've used the work he posted in this topic as a base and than nerfed it further when I still felt that the item is game breaking over powered (and probably will tweak these items further once I get back to this mod and actually play with it)

New NPC stats and starting items is heavily based on the feedback provided by WithinAmnesia for BG:EE release of DSotSC by CoM_Solaufein.

BP Balancer code was also used to get rid of BG2 items and other junk from the mod, but without actually removing new items added by the mod itself.

nope. As you can read in the first link Vlar received negative feedback and was actually forced to remove the package that overwrites files. In order to release it without controversy he would need to make all the changes to items on the fly via patching, which is ridicules, when the exact same thing can be achieved by replacing files before installation is started. I don't think I would like to deal with this stuff. So I'm opting for an update for BP-Balancer rather than adding such component to EET Tweaks.

With DSotSC it wasn't a problem because I've received a permission from original author (CuChoinneach) to balance and maintain BGT version of this mod (of course also received one from the last maintainer). Not sure how it will be with NTotSC, but I will try to convince Aurelinus to give me similar permission. Grey Clan Episode 1 doesn't need any balancing. And these 3 are the only mods I'm interested in converting, so my part in balancing ends here, sorry :p

If someone is interested in updating Bonehill than from what I remember Sir Billy Bob said that anyone can do whatever they wish with it, so I think BP-Balancer is free to balance the items at will. Not sure what is the stance of other "mega-mod" authors.

Major kudos for balancing DSotSC should go to Vlar, not me. I've used the work he posted in this topic as a base and than nerfed it further when I still felt that the item is game breaking over powered (and probably will tweak these items further once I get back to this mod and actually play with it)

New NPC stats and starting items is heavily based on the feedback provided by WithinAmnesia for BG:EE release of DSotSC by CoM_Solaufein.

BP Balancer code was also used to get rid of BG2 items and other junk from the mod, but without actually removing new items added by the mod itself.

nope. As you can read in the first link Vlar received negative feedback and was actually forced to remove the package that overwrites files. In order to release it without controversy he would need to make all the changes to items on the fly via patching, which is ridicules, when the exact same thing can be achieved by replacing files before installation is started. I don't think I would like to deal with this stuff. So I'm opting for an update for BP-Balancer rather than adding such component to EET Tweaks.

With DSotSC it wasn't a problem because I've received a permission from original author (CuChoinneach) to balance and maintain BGT version of this mod. Not sure how it will be with NTotSC, but I will try to convince Aurelinus to give me similar permission. Grey Clan Episode 1 doesn't need any balancing. And these 3 are the only mods I'm interested in converting, so my part in balancing ends here, sorry :p

If someone is interested in updating Bonehill than from what I remember Sir Billy Bob said that anyone can do whatever they wish with it, so I think BP-Balancer is free to balance the items at will. Not sure what is the stance of other "mega-mod" authors.

Understood

In this case I will apply a simple strategy for my mod taking into account a kind of *target environment* with a number of mods I can envision for it. I will adjust specific creature as well as quest XP to that, leaving common enemies (e.g orcs or bandits) as they are.

This way some future balancer may take care of this common stuff while I would advise the respective modmaker to leave the specifics as they are.

Archived