Discussion on 'Converting existing mods to the EE engine'

jastey

And, I know that item images are a bit different, but I assume that the names of the .bams stay the same across platforms. So a custom item that used BG1 .bams, if used in EE, would still call the correct images...?

(Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions: items and picture formats are a whole new flavour of weird-and-scary for me.)

Portraits: I use:

medium portrait: BG:EE - 169x266; BG/BG2 - 110x170

small portrait: BG:EE - 54x84; BG/BG2 - 38x60

epilogue portrait remains 210x330 for both classic and EE

I made my EE portraits by resizing the epoligue portrait, I did not change any color encoding (but maybe someone with better knowledge should anser for that, too).

For the .BAMs: All BG1 description bams are present in the BG:EE as.bmp, which the EE games use, and the names are the same for BG:EE and BG1. Inventory bams are .bams in EE also. For Tutu and BGT, the bams are not necessarily the same as for BG1, this depends whether the bam is present or the name already used for BGII.

So, yes, a custom item using BG1 bams would call the correct pictures in an EE game, but for BGT and TUTU, it's better to check.

Would using the .d version of IF_FILE_EXISTS be a reasonable way of coding interjections by EE (and therefore occasional) NPCs?

The WeiDU Doc gives examples like this:

APPEND [ IF_FILE_EXISTS ]filename state list END
This tells WeiDU to place the given states at the end of the already-existing dialogue filename.DLG. If there is IF_FILE_EXISTS and the file doesn’t exists, this action is skipped.

EXTERN [ IF_FILE_EXISTS ]filename stateLabel
The dialogue continues at the state with label stateLabel in the file filename.DLG. The whole transition is not compiled if there’s IF_FILE_EXISTS and the file filename doesn’t exist.

Has anybody tried it? Like:

<snip>

IF ~~ marshmallows3

SAY ~Now that the fire is going (finally), let's toast our balls of white and fluffy goodness...~

++ ~Righto!~ + marshmallows4

++ ~I changed my mind - I prefer my balls-of-goodness untoasted, thank you.~ EXIT

IF ~InMyArea("Neera") !StateCheck("Neera",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN EXTERN IF_FILE_EXISTS ~NeeraJ~ marshmallowneera

END

APPEND IF_FILE_EXISTS ~NEERAJ~

IF ~~ marshmallowneera

SAY ~*whoooooooosh*~

= ~...~

= ~... sorry?~

IF ~~ EXIT

END

END // APPEND

Or would the potentially missing death variable be something the compiler would choke on?

People, I'm new to the journal, and it has changed so many times. I'm using BGEE 2.0 and Weidu. The Weidu documentation really isn't helpful. Can you please tell me just what to type in the tp2 file and in the d file? Just give me an example with the syntax, if you will.

Sample quest

Hey, this sample guy wants me to run an errand!

Sample quest

Hey, I ran it so fast!

What to write where? And erase the first one, of course. I'd really appreciate an answer, I'm freaking exasperated with this last minor obstacle to getting my preview mod out. It has everything but correctly working quest records.

I lost track about all the changes on the ee engine a while ago. I do believe the tutorial is quite outdated, though.

Still, one question: is it true version 2.0 doesn't accept description images in bmp format any more? If yes, can someone enlighten my why they would do that?

Still, one question: is it true version 2.0 doesn't accept description images in bmp format any more? If yes, can someone enlighten my why they would do that?

Yes, they have returned to using BAM resources again. However, it now supports the new BAM V2 format as well, so you don't lose any transparency information of the graphics. The format is still slightly incompatible with files for the original games though. You have to reset BAM center coordinates to (0, 0) for the image to be displayed correctly.

I can't think of anything else that has to be taken care of if your mod is already compatible with pre-2.0 versions of the games. The journal entry storage format has changed, but WeiDU's ADD_JOURNAL function can handle it correctly since v240.

Well, there is a NPC-related issue. To prevent your party-joinable NPC from getting a hefty HP and level bonus in LoB (Legacy of Bhaal) mode you have to set CRE flags bit 22.

Request help:

In order to make my mods more compatible with other mods, I used a lot Expended Stats provided by ToBEx in my mods, for item/spell check in scripts.

But in EEs it no longer works.

Are there any way in EE can work like that?

What specific mod are we talking about ? All I can say, there's likely ways.

Request help:

In order to make my mods more compatible with other mods, I used a lot Expended Stats provided by ToBEx in my mods, for item/spell check in scripts.

But in EEs it no longer works.

Are there any way in EE can work like that?

What specific mod are we talking about ? All I can say, there's likely ways.

You mean my mod?

Since other mod like SCS uses almost every available stat, so I add an effect with opcode 318, parameter1=1, parameter2=4444, to items/spells, then in script like

IF
  CheckStat(Player1,1,4444)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    ForceSpellRES("c4#SnSa",Player1)
    Continue()
END

Archived