Book recommendations

JPS

I just finished the latest Pratchett novel, and I only have two more new books in the queue. I need recommendations for authors and titles. I'm generally a sci-fi geek (ACC, Norton, Dick et al) but I love reading anything.

If any one recommends the BG books... :D

(that is a great emoticon)

Have you tried the BG books?  :D

Well, seriously; if you haven't already, you might want to read Neil Gaiman. He's actually co-written a book with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens, so you might want to start there. Then there's Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods, Coraline and the entire suite of Sandman comics, so that should keep you occupied for a while.

JPS

For anyone that likes fantasy and doesn't mind a little spicy reading, the Kushiel's Legacy trilogy by Jacqueline Carey is probably the best I've ever read, and I read a *lot*.  The writing and storyline are just incredible, and the characters are unique and unforgettable.

I read the first of them (I think!?) 'Kushiel's Dart' and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I haven't read anything really new in a while that has blown me away though so here are some, a few years old but still goodies.  

In fantasy I'm a Guy Gavriel Kay fan and I can particularly recommend 'Tigania'(my personal fav.!) and 'The Sarantine Mosaic' series.  'Sailing to Sarantium' is the first book.  I'm also a sucker for heroic fantasy like David Gemmell.  His first book 'Legend' is astounding.

In the science fiction area I was raised on the old greats but some of the newer and upcoming authors (that are still alive!) I can recommend, are Peter F. Hamilton 'The Night's Dawn Trilogy', the first is 'The Reality Dysfunction'.  I also love Neal Stephenson, 'SnowCrash' in particular is a blast!(although most people have probably read that one by now!)

Cheers. :D

Archived