Amaurea's Portrait Mod

Amaurea

Wow on the new additions! :)

Keldorn's got a sexy, bearded George Cloony look. Nice.

Valygar...Yum.. and Ajantis(modeled after one of my fav. actors)....Yum! :)

Branwen looks so much better than her default pic.

I really like the picture of Coran. In my first game of BG1 I couldn't bring myself to keep him in the party primarily because of his horrible portrait.

Thanks! Ajantis is another one of only a few which are not morphs. As soon as I saw that picture of Jensen, that was Ajantis to me.

I'm really glad to have the feedback on Coran. I started and scrapped so many different versions of him! I know it's going to be just as difficult doing Kivan and Xan.

There's one I already have up there that I use in my games for Xan, but he's a little angrier looking than I'd like him to be. If all else fails, I'll use him. At the very least, I might offer him as an alternate.

I really like Coran so much better now. I actually think I could stomach him in my party with this pic! I was just so turned off by the Bioware one that I never really gave him a chance. I just said "yuck!" and dropped him almost at once. Not very decent of me but hey I couldn't help it.

Mike1072, that's very nice, but I prefer the richer balance of blues and browns in her darker skin coloring. It has a certain translucence to it. It makes me think that there is red blood flowing beneath her skin.

Everyone seems to have their own view of what drow should look like; this is just closer to how I envision them. Your comment about blood made me curious as to the colour of drow blood, but all my searching accomplished was me ending up a forum where people are discussing ALBINO drow. Yikes.

Mike, out of curiosity, what sort of edit did you do?

I edited the 1.12 image, changing the hue of the skin to black, and overlaying it as a colour layer on top of a merged version of the 1.1 and 1.12 images (to be midway between their light/darkness). I then added a very tiny amount of blue to the highlights (for kicks).

By the way, I'd like to echo the general sentiment that Coran looks great. :)

Amaurea,

If you decide to make more portraits after the project you're working on now, I'd like to put in a request to include some faces of ordinary looking people and/or perhaps show some signs of having been in a fight, even if you were to make only a few and those only for warrior-type classes.

The current ones are beautiful, no argument, but that is what is starting to trouble me. I can't help thinking that the faces are too beautiful, that people who are adventurers wouldn't look quite so clean or so worry-free. I'm also being influenced by the pictures of the soldiers and civilians that are shown in Burns' latest documentary The War and some of the letters and interviews mentioning their physical condition. Sometimes they show photos of the person in uniform and then one from later in his life, and the changes are dramatic, even after allowing for changes you expect from growing older.

Thanks,

John

Amaurea,

If you decide to make more portraits after the project you're working on now, I'd like to put in a request to include some faces of ordinary looking people and/or perhaps show some signs of having been in a fight, even if you were to make only a few and those only for warrior-type classes.

The current ones are beautiful, no argument, but that is what is starting to trouble me. I can't help thinking that the faces are too beautiful, that people who are adventurers wouldn't look quite so clean or so worry-free. I'm also being influenced by the pictures of the soldiers and civilians that are shown in Burns' latest documentary The War and some of the letters and interviews mentioning their physical condition. Sometimes they show photos of the person in uniform and then one from later in his life, and the changes are dramatic, even after allowing for changes you expect from growing older.

Thanks,

John

That's a very interesting idea, John. I think that I might like to do that as a series after I finish doing the BG1 and Mod portrait series.

I know that these are idealized pictures, but I saw that as sort of the opposite to the pictures that come with the game. However, I can see the point of having a series of closer-up images that do show battle scars and road wear. After all, I can imagine that players who prefer that look might also enjoy actually being able to see the faces in game.

I'm thinking out loud here, so pardon me if I ramble... maybe I could do a series by class and race, and they could always be SK'ed in for NPC's if players prefer that. Hmmm....

Thanks for more food for thought!

You're welcome. I've played BG2 a lot over the years and have always been on the lookout for new portraits for my pc, if only for the novelty from previous portraits. It's always nice to have additional portraits from which to choose :)

John

Just saying that for the mod NPCs, they're going to have to be along the lines of the PC Portrait Pack I sent, where the player assigns portraits via SK, if that's what he or she wants. Some modders (not me, though) might not take kindly to a mod that replaced their NPC portraits without their permission.

Oh, definitely along the lines of the PC portrait pack for SK'ing. I do not want to step on any toes.

I've made my own alternates for my own games simply because I'm too anal retentive to handle looking at several different picture styles. :-D

I'll just make them available in case other people, like me, want some options in the style of my portraits.

I may even just throw pictures up there without mod names, and let users decide who should be who. Can't step on many toes that way, I guess. Though I'm betting male drow and redheads would be clearly identifiable...

Anyway, if you've created an npc that you'd really rather I not do an alternate of, please let me know.

I've made some changes and added some alternates to the BG2 portraits. I'll be adding a Valygar and Yoshimo alternate, and then all those will be done, and I'll get back to work on BG1.

You're safest with just making your pics and letting the player decide who they remind him of, yes.

If modders want the portraits you make to be identified as their NPC, they can let you know.

I certainly have no objection if you say that a portrait is meant to be Gavin!

Minsc 1.1, pretty freaky ... but not in a bad way. You really can tell that things are a little off. That's the portrait I'm going to use for him.

I noticed you changed Jaheira 1.1 and Aerie, they look good. I'm curious why you changed them though.

Archived