Idea for a wizard slayer kit upgrade

WarChiefZeke

as the general consensus seems to be that wizard slayers are a largely underpowered kit, I thought i'd try an optional upgrade for them as i make an npc using that kit.

if you have any thoughts on it id like to hear it:

- Miscast Magic as normal

- Spell Resistance 10% + 2%/lv (50% at level 20)

- Lv 7:

Chaotic Commands 1x/day

Free Action 1x/day

Lv 11:

Chaotic Commands 2x/day

True Seeing 1x/day

Free Action 2x/day

Breach 1x/day

Lv 15:

Chaotic Commands 3x/day

True Seeing 2x/day

Free Action 3x/day

Breach 2x/day

Lv 20:

Chaotic Commands 4x/day

True Seeing 4x/day

Free Action 4x/day

Breach 3x/day

Remove Magic 2x/day

- Normal Wizard Slayer restrictions apply

There are several WS mods, I think. The problem with them is that they fail to deliver proper lore. You can hack together a bunch of abilities, and even balance them to a degree, but without a plausible explanation it's a colossus with clay feet.

There are several WS mods, I think. The problem with them is that they fail to deliver proper lore.

Agreed. It's a fighter kit - why/how is it casting spells??

I tried to fix this in my modified wizard slayer: removed the magic resistance and instead gave it really good saving throws; removed a fair amount of the item restrictions; and gave it two special abilities:

- A chance-of-miscast-on-hit rationalized as knowledge of pressure points/chakras/whatever that are particularly sensitive for spellcasters

- An area effect vocalization that messes with people's inner ear and simulates deafness for purposes of miscast spellcasting. (This affects *all* spellcasters, friendly and hostile.)

In both cases the abilities are natural and nonmagical, stemming from training and knowledge.

Eventually I decided to leave the Wizard Slayer alone (poor broken thing that it is) and instead used this template for a Ranger kit. This allows for a bit more wizard-fighting tactics (sneaking) and lore-appropriate spellcasting.

Archived