Some questions about installing and using EET

BobMaster

Hello all,

I used to play BG2 like an addict, my friends called me the walking BG2 walkthrough back then :p

Now recently I am getting back in the mood to play the BG games, but I do want to play all the games as 1 big game, which EET promises.

Questions:

1. In what order do I install everything(BGEE, Dragonspear, BG2EE, patches, EET and other mods)?

2. Does the latest EET 6.3 contain the graphical overhaul as well? If I have to download the mod seperately, when exactly do I install it?

3. Is the latest 6.3 EET version stable enough to play the game or is there even a stable version?

I hope someone is willing to help me with this.

Thanks in advance and greetings,

BobMaster

Install SoD(BGEE comes with it) and BG2EE separately, patch and install BGEE/SoD mods, patch and install BG2EE mods. Refer to the mod compatibility topic to know which mods you can use and which mod goes into which category.

EET is a BG2EE mod, install it first, it'll spawn a setup-eet-end.exe which you'll install very close to last.

You can use BWS(Big World Setup) as a guide for mod order, haven't tried all combinations so I can't guarantee it will always work best but I haven't got any order error yet.

To do this, install big world setup and go into Big World Setup/Includes/10_Misc-GUI.au3 and change the line that contains HideEET=1 to HideEET=0. Do not install with BWS as the fully EET compatible version isn't out yet, only use it as a guideline for install order.

It's pretty stable. If you have experience with big mod installs, EET is nothing to be worried of. Besides, if you do find bugs due to EET, K4thos generally makes an effort to provide fixes or solutions for them that can be applied during your game so you don't have to restart.

I went a full playthrough a few releases ago and did not have to start anew or give up on content I wanted to do due to both low number of bugs and reactivity of K4thos and other members.

In short, if it's the first time you're using mods, you probably should wait a little bit more before playing EET. If not, it's pretty good and definitely worth imo.

Thank you for the quick reply GrimLefourbe

I downloaded the Big World Setup and honestly there aren't many mods I will be using, mainly: BG Unfinished Business, and Tweaks Anthology, maybe more, haven't really checked the complete list.

In the modcompatibility topic, it's mentioned that some mods need to be installed before installing BG2EE and EET or can I add all the mods after installing both BGEE and BG2EE and EET with the Big World Setup ?

Do not use the Big World Setup for installation. To get a mod order from BWS, select the mods you want and the options you want in the mod selection menu, go back, fix the incompatibilities, then go into the mod selection menu again, go to options -> view -> sort in install order/like the pdf.

This will tell you in which order you need to install the mods.

In the mod compatibility thread, there is (1)a list of mods that should be installed on BGEE prior to installing EET, (2) a list of mods that should be installed on EET and (3) a list of mods that should be patched then installed after EET.

(2) and (3) are what I called the BG2EE mods, you will install them in the BG2EE directory, (1) are the mods that you will install in the SoD directory prior to installing EET(in the BG2EE directory). EET will try to detect your SoD directory and ask you if it cannot find it so no modification to the SoD directory will be taken into account after EET is installed.

If you're not going to install many mods, you can try guessing the good install order by reading the readmes, I wouldn't recommend though.

The last commit message: https://github.com/K4thos/EET-patches-for-BG2EE-mods/commits/master tells you that all patches were updated for RC6. Default view of the github repository might be misleading because some folders looks like:

Assassinations Version 1.0 Release Candidate 1 2 months ago

but it doesn't mean that they aren't ready for RC6. After you extracted all mods, extract all patches and overwrite all files.

How do those patches work? When I go to the github page that lists all the patches not all of them are for 'release candidate 6', so do I have to wait until they get updated for candidate 6 or should they all be compatible because they are in the list ?

In Github just go to a green button saying "clone or download". Download the zip file (it will contain all relevant and latest data you need).

Now you either

a) extract all mods to be patched in your game directory without installing them yet. Extract the patch to overwrite some files. (You will also have unusable folders for mods you have not selected but just ignore them)

b) extract the patch file to some place on your computer which is NOT the BG2EE directory - extract a mod to be patched to the game directory, copy the subdirectory related to that mod from the patches to BG2EE thus overwriting some files. Install the mod. (For some mods also check if the patch folder contains a revised tp2 or other file in the main directory to be copied into BG2EE. Repeat this for each mod to be patched. (This way you will only have stuff in your game directory you really need).

So let me summarize.

1. Install the base games(BGEE+BG2EE)

2. Patch and Install mods for BGEE

3. Install EET

4. Patch and Install mods for BG2EE and EET

5. Play?

Also I can't find a patch for 'BG1 Unfinished Business' mod, Tweaks Anthology and Graphical Overhaul(don't think these 2 needs a patch). Also Rogue Rebalancing(not sure if I want this mod) says it already is compatible with EET, yet there is still a patch for it.

[EDIT]: I have to download all the patches it seems, can't download them seperately.

Also I can't find a patch for 'BG1 Unfinished Business' mod,

If you notice the BG1EE already has the mod installed in it, meaning that there's no BG1EE Unfinished Business mod at all. There's a version of it for BG1 and BGT, but that's not the same thing.

So let me summarize.

2. Patch and Install mods for BGEE

3. Install EET

5. Play?

Also I can't find a patch for 'BG1 Unfinished Business' mod, Tweaks Anthology and Graphical Overhaul(don't think these 2 needs a patch). Also Rogue Rebalancing(not sure if I want this mod) says it already is compatible with EET, yet there is still a patch for it.

[EDIT]: I have to download all the patches it seems, can't download them seperately.

2. Patch and Install mods for BGEE >> Nothing to patch here, this will be done by EET when importing the BGEE modded game

3. Install EET

5. Play? Run the *setup-EET_end.exe* that was automatically created during step 3

6. Play

Thank you Roxanne and Jarno :)

I see what you mean to manually update them, I should just recreate the folder structure and copy/paste the text in the files and rename them properly, not too difficult.

I guess the .tp2 files can be executed to initiate the patch ?

This is not what I said.

Example - You unpack the Angelo NPC mod to BG2EE but do not install it yet. You copy the Angelo subfolder from the patches-package to BG2EE and acknowledge the overwrite (the patch has the correct folder structure by itself). Then you install the patched mod, that is all.

In some rare cases (e.g. Alora, there is also a SETUP-alora.tp2 in patches which you copy to the BG2EE folder.)

Thank you Roxanne and Jarno :)

I see what you mean to manually update them, I should just recreate the folder structure and copy/paste the text in the files and rename them properly, not too difficult.

I guess the .tp2 files can be executed to initiate the patch ?

This is not what I said.

Example - You unpack the Angelo NPC mod to BG2EE but do not install it yet. You copy the Angelo subfolder from the patches-package to BG2EE and acknowledge the overwrite (the patch has the correct folder structure by itself). Then you install the patched mod, that is all.

In some rare cases (e.g. Alora, there is also a SETUP-alora.tp2 in patches which you copy to the BG2EE folder.)

Yea ok, but then I still have to download ALL patches first, because I can not download them separately.

Jarno said I didn't have to download anything, so now I am a bit confused.

[EDIT]: This made me believe I could just replicate the folder structure and files with notepad, or was I wrong about that ?

[EDIT2]: The only mod I will have to patch according to the compatibility list would be "Unfinished Business" for BG2 or is that also included in the Enhanced Edition ?

Archived