Editing the duration of Negative Plane Protection

Onox

Hi,

I would like to change the duration of the spell "Negative Plane Protection" in BG2EE, but I cannot figure out how to do it. I found a helpful post here, but I cannot find a Duration field. I checked into the "Extended Effects" tab and clicked Edit while having the line "3 Protection: from Opcode [101] (0x0 0xd8)" selected, but there doesn't seem to be a Duration field in that

Can you help me ? Thanks

Hi,

I would like to change the duration of the spell "Negative Plane Protection" in BG2EE, but I cannot figure out how to do it. I found a helpful post here, but I cannot find a Duration field. I checked into the "Extended Effects" tab and clicked Edit while having the line "3 Protection: from Opcode [101] (0x0 0xd8)" selected, but there doesn't seem to be a Duration field in that

Can you help me ? Thanks

In my installation (EET using BG2EE platform) opcode 101 is set at 0xd8 to Duration 30 and should be editable there.

PS I use NI for editing and found the information with that tool.

What editing tool are you using ? A very old Near Infinity might not have the field identified if you don't have the correct file configured in, as this is a BG2EE game... but the newest do. You can get it from here.

Also make note that you have to edit the priest spell file: sppr413.spl, not the other file spell(spcl105.spl) as that has it's duration is set elsewhere to a theoretical zero.

What editing tool are you using ? A very old Near Infinity might not have the field identified if you don't have the correct file configured in, as this is a BG2EE game... but the newest do. You can get it from here.

Also make note that you have to edit the priest spell file: sppr413.spl, not the other file spell(spcl105.spl) as that has it's duration is set elsewhere.

My reference was for sppr413

spcl105 has duration set at 0x108 and in my case it is set to 0 as the timing mode is instant/permanent

Both should be the original BG2EE settings as I have no spell revision mods installed in this game.

Thanks a lot for your answers ! I am dumb, you made me realise that I was looking at the innate SPCL105 instead of the spell priest SPPR413...

I would like to ask another question now :

I had a look at some other spells that have a duration like : X rounds + Y rounds/level, for example Blur. This one has 4 rounds + 2 rounds/level. I noticed that Blur has 18 extended headers, and the required level jumps from 1 to 4 between the first and the seconds headers.

Required level 1 has effect durations of 60, required level 4 has durations of 72. This gives the expected durations (4 × 6 + 2 × 3 × 6 = 24 + 36 = 60 seconds for levels 1->3, and so on...), but why jump from level 1 to 4 and not do every level up to 20 ? Or why not start at level 3, since a mage may cast level-2 spells starting from level 3 ? Is that because of level drain ? (It is my first playthrough, so I don't know well how it works)

Is the way Blur is done (I did not check all spells, but noticed that others are made in similar way) the recommend way to increase the durations ?

Is the way Blur is done (I did not check all spells, but noticed that others are made in similar way) the recommend way to increase the durations ?

Well, the Blur spell is a 2nd level Arcane spell, so a character that is able to cast Blur is either a Mage of 3rd level, or a bard of greater... the fact that the minimum cast level is one doesn't diminish the fact that you have to be at least at level 3, to normally cast the spell. There are creatures and other things that can cast spells and so setting the minimum level to be a 1 is a practicality thing, not a thing you should take only at a face value. This allows creatures like dragons that might not be Mages to cast the spell, if they have other things ...

Archived