Portraits and Various and Sundry Materials

cmorgan

I hope there's a flirt to ask Aran if he has a tattoo, or see (or be given a private viewing of) Aran's tattoo. I'm interested in finding out what design he had inked.

Darned good idea - I will work it in!

(edit: and I think the tattoo will not be on the face, since that constrains the portrait possibilities. But that leaves a wide swath of realestate to play with.... I had better put in an Amber-like player interest talk early on, so PC can voice her opinion. Safest way to allow PC to not be turned off. Discreet tattoo for folks who don't like body art at all; the more heavy stuff for folks who like the ides. Hmmm... my RL brother has a dragon tattoo from elbow to chest... nope, no dragons for Aran given his attitude. Have to go look up some cool FR-izeable ideas.)

I'll take a look at the picture. I am still tyring to figure out how to get chapter-text like screens to splash up during dialog rather than jumping to a new area; it may not be possible. But it would be nice to try.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=18499

Go for it -

Nix has a great one that is based on Heath Ledger, but the floor is wide open. Suggest away!

I have tried to cast a wide net for players while still having a unique voice; the same goes for portraits. He could be a wide range of things - and there si no "pretty" requirement, as that is definitely in the eye of the beholder!

Tthe only hassle with setting up portraits is making the in-game avatar colors match the portrait. For that, to be blunt, I am going to beg/bribe/cajole Berelinde into a short color-patching-the-.cre-after-portrait-choice-is-selected coding session for me - it is a serious pain to work out that stuff, even more of a pain than finding coordinates for placement in the game :suspect: Berelinde will say "it is easy - no big deal", but then again she is a chemist - she regularly and patiently sits through hours of testing to get things right.

I can see him as anything from Mr. Darcy to Jack Sparrow, and most things in-between, depending on the . Cary Grant, nope - too sooth. Patrick Jane... perhaps? But probably still a bit too pretty. But when it comes to choosing portraits for him, I am completely open to suggestions. I think I can run between 6 and 8 portrait choices before they get overwhelming, with the default being Nix's work (since nix was kind enough to build the first one for me!).

Heh. Cmorgan knows me too well. I was going to say "It's easy. No big deal."

Suppose you have the default portrait Nix did for you. The name base of it is c-aran. I'm going to use some examples from DA Portraits just because they have obviously different coloring and they're mine to use.

Here's the default, c-aran

c-aranm.jpg

Here's Alternate 1, with red hair and a fair complexion. Its code is b_hum6

b_hum6l.jpg

Here's Alternate 2, with dark hair and slightly darker skin. Its code is b_hum9

b_hum9l.jpg

Here's Alternate 3, with dark hair and very dark skin. Its code is b_humh

b_humhl.jpg

So, this is your tp2. You're going to start out setting up your CRE and portraits the way you ordinarily would. You need to do this because the player may opt not to use an alternate.

//Creature copying and naming
/* Portrait Assignment */
MKDIR ~portraits~
COPY ~aran/creatures/c-aranl.bmp~ ~override/c-aranl.bmp~
COPY ~aran/creatures/c-aranm.bmp~ ~override/c-aranm.bmp~
COPY ~aran/creatures/c-arans.bmp~ ~override/c-arans.bmp~

COPY ~aran/creatures/c-aran.cre~ ~override~
 SAY NAME1 ~Aran~ 
 SAY NAME2 ~Aran~ 
 WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~c-arans~   #8  // assign override script
 WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc ~c-aran~	#8  // assign pre-joining dialogue file
 WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~c-aran2~ #32 // assign DV 
 WRITE_ASCII 0x34  ~c-arans~ #8  // assign small portrait 
 WRITE_ASCII 0x3c  ~c-aranm~ #8  // assign medium portrait
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2F 12 // skin color (light carnation pink)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x32 3  // hair color (light gold)

So, let's see what we can do about those alternates. As long as you're copying the CRE to the override and setting up all the files, you won't have to do it again. This will help if you are planning on allowing the player to choose a particular stat configuration.

//Alternate portraits
BEGIN ~Red hair, fair complexion~  
 SUBCOMPONENT ~Alternate Portraits~
 REQUIRE_COMPONENT ~setup-aran.tp2~ ~0~ ~Aran Whitehand must be installed~ 
COPY ~aran/creatures/b_hum6l.bmp~ ~override/c-aranl.bmp~
COPY ~aran/creatures/b_hum6m.bmp~ ~override/c-aranm.bmp~
COPY ~aran/creatures/b_hum6s.bmp~ ~override/c-arans.bmp~ 
COPY_EXISTING ~c-aran.cre~ ~override~  // all you're doing here is making sure that the correct CRE is specified
	WRITE_BYTE 0x2F 13 // skin color (light pure silver)
	WRITE_BYTE 0x32 4  // hair color (auburn)

BEGIN ~Dark hair, medium complexion~  
COPY ~aran/creatures/b_hum9l.bmp~ ~override/c-aranl.bmp~
COPY ~aran/creatures/b_hum9m.bmp~ ~override/c-aranm.bmp~
COPY ~aran/creatures/b_hum9s.bmp~ ~override/c-arans.bmp~
COPY_EXISTING ~c-aran.cre~ ~override~  // all you're doing here is making sure that the correct CRE is specified
	WRITE_BYTE 0x2F 84 // skin color (peachy)
	WRITE_BYTE 0x32 2  // hair color (dark gold)

BEGIN ~Dark hair, dark complexion~  
COPY ~aran/creatures/b_humhl.bmp~ ~override/c-aranl.bmp~
COPY ~aran/creatures/b_humhm.bmp~ ~override/c-aranm.bmp~
COPY ~aran/creatures/b_humhs.bmp~ ~override/c-arans.bmp~
	WRITE_BYTE 0x2F 91 // skin color (dark chocolate)
	WRITE_BYTE 0x32 0  // hair color (red-tinted black)

That's all there is to it.

Sure thing, as long as B is cool with it. He's in! I also need to figure out how to get a Plasmocat-like alternate portrait. Perhaps Denzel Washington? The ones berelinde set up as basics are Dragon Age style, and we will want som to be more Plasmocat and Amaurea style ones.

No point in keeping quiet - there are as many likes and dislikes as there are folks in the world!

Either one of those dudes could do well, or a combination of both. I will poke about next week on SHS and see if anyone else is up for buiding custom portraits, and reference both these guys. Frankly, I am usually searching fro the perfect female portrait for my love interest when playing (Aerie has been practically every doggone romance "enginue" picture for years now - i am sure the poor elf just doesn't know where her head is, literally!) , and don't bother too much with the males, which is definitely putting me at a disadvantage. I have been trying to rectify that!

Denzel Washington... Sorry, please excuse the drool. Seriously, he's a bit older than I'd picture Aran, but you might be able to use a base photo from earlier in his career. This one from his Much Ado about Nothing days, leaps to mind.

You might want to split some of this off as a portraits discussion. People might miss it here.

And as for using any of my portraits, you don't need to ask. No one does. They're made to be shared.

Hmmm... my RL brother has a dragon tattoo from elbow to chest... nope, no dragons for Aran given his attitude. Have to go look up some cool FR-izeable ideas.)

Hmm...berserk gibberling is probably out of the question then...sigh.. :suspect:

I'm all for tattoos and scars and a general air of clean scruffiness. (No dialogues about how he wears his underthings inside out after the first week.)

Which portrait collections are you likely to choose from?

I'm hoping to get a suggestion in early enough to have a NotPrettyBoy option included :)

Ooh.. I love the 'NotPrettyBoy' look, especially with some stubble and character lines (wrinkles). You know, a face that's not seen the odd fist before it connected. Someone that is handsome but that can also look mean in the right light or with the right attitude.

Denzel Washington... Sorry, please excuse the drool. Seriously, he's a bit older than I'd picture Aran, but you might be able to use a base photo from earlier in his career. This one from his Much Ado about Nothing days, leaps to mind.

Yum. (also to the movie, especially the way Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson fire off each other.)

Actually I prefer an older looking Aran, not Angelo old, but a well weathered 30ish.

Maybe a bit Sam Worthington but with longer hair like when he starred in a rather horrible movie adaptation of Macbeth.(his acting was pretty bad too)

For some reason an image of Dylan Moran keeps coming to mind, but with muscles.(now that would be weird)

Licking tattoos....... not that there's actually a textural difference but still..... :suspect:

I'm all for tattoos and scars and a general air of clean scruffiness. (No dialogues about how he wears his underthings inside out after the first week.)

I hear you! and what you said about Angelo as well. Oh my!

Maybe a bit Sam Worthington but with longer hair like when he starred in a rather horrible movie adaptation of Macbeth.(his acting was pretty bad too)

Thinking of Macbeth.... Jon Finch? http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/images/2...nch_150x180.jpg

Kath STonedog

I made a portrait a couple years ago based on Ioan Gruffudd (it is my avatar as it was the simplest way to show it). If it would be useful as another option for a dark-haired Aran, you are welcome to it. I also love the idea of a Don Pedro portrait. I've been trying to work on one, but have had trouble making it look like a BGII portrait. So I do believe that's a fail for that one, but it sure has been fun trying! :suspect:

Archived