Shadowdancer

Jab

I must say, that this new kit really gets my attention. :)

- From level 5, can summon a Shadow once per day. The Shadow increases in power as the Shadowdancer gains levels, has stealthy abilities, and is summoned for 8 hours

May I ask, how the shadow increases in power? Something like a progression table would be helpful. :)

Btw in my Easy-Tutu game, he doesn't have the option of dual-classing (though he is a human). :-/

With the dualclassing--it may be because you don't have good enough statistics? I'll look into the requirements, though, just in case it is my fault.

I don't have a progression table to hand for the shadow. Essentially they should always be useful, but will never be able to compete with a party member. I'd suggest using them for scouting, or blocking a corridor for a while so enemies can't get down it. (Also, I think I got the timing wrong so 8 hours may be incorrect for the current version.)

I am glad you are interested in the kit--it was one I wanted to do for ages!

Few problems:

Dual-class is still not working (and my pc has good enough statistics).

(New one) Every time I cast the summon shadow spell, the game crashes (even after complete reinstalation of BG easy-tutu with all mods).

I have no particular info on this mod, but...

Few problems:

Dual-class is still not working (and my pc has good enough statistics).

(New one) Every time I cast the summon shadow spell, the game crashes (even after complete reinstalation of BG easy-tutu with all mods).

At what time does the game crashes, just before the creature appears, before the spell is even started to be casted...? It might help, if you put the content of your WeiDU.log to a post. As the reason might be that the shadows creature animation might have been overwritten by another mod.

And as for the Dual class thing, you are trying to dual him above the first level, as level one char can't dual? To what are you trying to dual him into, as he needs the 15 in dexterity for starters, and the 17 in the other stat, also you might want to check that what the DUALCLASS.2DA says about his dualing options(it can be opened with text editor), the 1 is yes to that class while 0 in no, obviously. And if the code is horribly off the markers, it might be a good idea to re-do it completely, so the number line is strait, so it looks something like this the whole way down:

2DA V1.0
                       FIGHTER CLERIC  MAGE    THIEF   DRUID   RANGER
MAGE                    1       1       0       1       0       0
FIGHTER                 0       1       1       1       1       0
CLERIC                  1       0       1       1       0       1
THIEF                   1       1       1       0       0       0
BARD                    0       0       0       0       0       0

At what time does the game crashes, just before the creature appears, before the spell is even started to be casted...? It might help, if you put the content of your WeiDU.log to a post. As the reason might be that the shadows creature animation might have been overwritten by another mod.
Just before the creature appears.

The problem with dual-classing is both in dualclass.2DA and setup-song_and_silence.TP2 (I should find that out :) ).

That means there are 0 everywhere instead of 1 for Fighter, Cleric, Mage. So it's easy to fix.

Btw my weidu.log

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~EASYTUTUDEGREENIFIER.TP2~ #0 #0 // EasyTutu Degreenifier

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Assign a kit to Ajantis? -> Ajantis: Cavalier

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #11 // Assign a kit to Eldoth? -> Eldoth: Jester

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #13 // Assign a kit to Faldorn? -> Faldorn: Avenger

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #29 // Assign a kit to Kivan? -> Kivan: Archer

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #35 // Assign a kit to Safana? -> Safana: Assassin

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #39 // Assign a kit to Shar-Teel? -> Shar-Teel: Berserker

~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #2 // Restored BG1 Loadscreens

~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #3 // BG2 Ammo Stacks

~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #4 // Totemic Druid Spirit Summons are Balanced

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Icon Improvements

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor (Galactygon)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1060 // Breakable Iron Nonmagical Shields, Helms, and Armor

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1070 // Improved Multi-Player Kick-out Dialogues

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1110 // Add Map Notes

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1150 // Shapeshifter Rebalancing

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Expanded Dual-Class Options

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3012 // Maximum HP for NPCs (the bigg) -> For Party-Joinable NPCs Only

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3031 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells and No Maximum Cap

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Adjust Evil joinable NPC reaction rolls

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // ToB-Style NPCs

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values

~1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // One Pixel Productions: v2 Everything but Potions (1): v2.6

~1PP.TP2~ #0 #1 // One Pixel Productions: v2 New Potion Graphics (2): v2.6

~1PP.TP2~ #0 #2 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Flaming Swords (3): v2.6

~1PP.TP2~ #0 #6 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Paperdolls (human, half-orc, elven, halfling) (7): v2.6

~1PP.TP2~ #0 #7 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Legacy Shields - Bucklers (D1) (8): v2.6

~1PP.TP2~ #0 #8 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Legacy Shields - Small Shields (D2) (9): v2.6

~1PP.TP2~ #0 #9 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Legacy Shields - Medium Shields (D3) (10): v2.6

~1PP.TP2~ #0 #10 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Colourable Quarterstaves core (11): v2.6

~1PP.TP2~ #0 #11 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Colourable Quarterstaves mod patches [caution advised.] (12): v2.6

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Edwin his BG2 portrait.: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #4 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait.: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #5 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // The BG1 NPC Project: Kivan's "Kivan and Deheriana Companions" portrait: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content): v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content): v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content): v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content): v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #18 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location -> Alora Starts in Gullykin.: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #19 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location -> Eldoth Starts in the Cloakwood Forest.: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #21 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location -> Quayle Starts at the Wyrm's Crossing.: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #24 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location -> Tiax Starts in Beregost.: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #26 // The BG1 NPC Project: Make Shar-Teel Unkillable until In Party: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #30 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary: v16

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v16

~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Mini-Quests and Encounters Mod: 3

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ice Island Level Two Restoration

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Mysterious Vial

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #2 // Additional Elminster Encounter

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #8 // Safana the Flirt

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #9 // Appropriate Albert and Rufie Reward

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #10 // Place Entar Silvershield in His Home

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #11 // Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Quoningar, the Cleric

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #13 // Shilo Chen and the Ogre-Magi

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #14 // Edie, the Merchant League Applicant

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #15 // Flaming Fist Mercenary Reinforcements

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Creature Corrections

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Creature Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Creature Name Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #19 // Minor Dialogue Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #20 // Audio Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #21 // Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #22 // Item Corrections and Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #23 // Area Corrections and Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #24 // Permanent Corpses

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #25 // Elven Charm and Sleep Racial Resistance

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Gavin NPC for Tutu and BGT, 14April2008: v3.1

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #1 // Gavin: Romance (mature content): v3.1

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #2 // Gavin: Flirts (adult content): v3.1

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #9 // Gavin: Alternate Portraits -> Original alternate, by Kaeloree: v3.1

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #10 // Gavin: Player Initiated Dialogue: v3.1

~SETUP-SOA.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Stone of Askavar Version 1.2

~AJANTISBG1/SETUP-AJANTISBG1.TP2~ #0 #0 // Installs Ajantis BG1 Expansion Modification: 1

~CORANBGFRIEND/CORANBGFRIEND.TP2~ #0 #0 // Coran's Extended BG Friendship Talks, v1, October 20, 2007: v2

~XANBG1FRIEND/SETUP-XANBG1FRIEND.TP2~ #0 #0 // Xan's friendship path for BG1, v4

~SETUP-FINCHNPCV3.TP2~ #0 #0 // Finch NPC for Tutu v3.0

~SETUP-SIRINESCALL.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Lure of the Sirine's Call: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Divine Remix Core Components (Required for Everything)

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #100 // Cleric Remix

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #106 // Install Nightcloak of Shar Cleric Kit

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #109 // Install Battleguard of Tempus Cleric Kit

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #121 // Install Lorekeeper of Oghma Cleric Kit

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #127 // Install Feywarden of Corellon Cleric Kit

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #600 // Install Battleguard of Tempus Kit for Branwen

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #610 // Install Nightcloak of Shar Kit for Viconia

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Changes to trueclass bards and thieves, and unmodded game kits (required for other components): v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Add new bardic store and thief items: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #10 // Install Shadowdancer thief kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #10 // Install Shadowdancer thief kit: v3

~TUTUGUI/SETUP-TUTUGUI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurs Gate I GUI for Tutu, SoA/ToB, or BGT

The shadows .cre is a#shado1.cre , so make a back up from it...

Just before the creature appears.
You might want to look for the animation changer mod, create a result directory, then getting the latest WeiDU.exe or copy-paste-renaming the setup-*last installed mods*.exe to WeiDU.exe and starting it then putting this command in to the console, after a few Enter -key hits.

--change-log a#shado1.cre --out results --out results/log.txt

The results/log.txt will contain the mods which edit a#shado1.cre, and a copy of all of its stages. Then just try to find a backup from the installed mods directories that works... or if none of them work, you might have to change the cre's animation to one of these, by first copying one of their files to the overwrite folder, and then using Shadowkeeper, NI or some other editor to replace the cre's animation file.

Guest Guest

Is there an easier way to do this? I love the mod, and all the new classes, but I'm not what you'd call technically proficient at screwing around with game files, and I'm worried I'll wreck the heck out of my stuff.

Is there an easier way to do this? I love the mod, and all the new classes, but I'm not what you'd call technically proficient at screwing around with game files, and I'm worried I'll wreck the heck out of my stuff.

Please, post your WeiDU.log and make a changelog for a#shado1.cre, like Jarno described above. After that, open the new log.txt and post the content here.

Greetings Leomar

Guest blindfold

Please, post your WeiDU.log and make a changelog for a#shado1.cre, like Jarno described above. After that, open the new log.txt and post the content here.

Greetings Leomar

I don't think this problem has to do with compatibility or changes made by other mods.

I couldn't even get the Summon Shadow ability working in a vanilla BG 2 ToB.

Therefore, not much to see in my Weidu log.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Changes to trueclass bards and thieves, and unmodded game kits (required for other components): v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Add new bardic store and thief items: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Install Acrobat bard kit: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #3 // Install Chorister bard kit: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Install Dirgesinger bard kit: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #5 // Install Gypsy bard kit: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Install Adventurer thief kit: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #7 // Install Burglar thief kit: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #8 // Install Soulknife thief kit: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Install Sharpshooter thief kit: v3

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #10 // Install Shadowdancer thief kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Changes to trueclass bards and thieves, and unmodded game kits (required for other components): v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Add new bardic store and thief items: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Install Acrobat bard kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #3 // Install Chorister bard kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Install Dirgesinger bard kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #5 // Install Gypsy bard kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Install Adventurer thief kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #7 // Install Burglar thief kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #8 // Install Soulknife thief kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Install Sharpshooter thief kit: v3

~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #10 // Install Shadowdancer thief kit: v3

I won't be needing a change log

since this is the only mod that I have currently installed, right?

So, I'm assuming that a file is missing or something?

Anyone else besides me and the other guest got this problem?

There's a typo in the .tp2 file that's causing the summoning effects to try to bring forth a non-existent creature.

Change line 886 in song_and_silence/setup-song_and_silence.tp2 from

WRITE_ASCII 0x30 ~a#sdsha%e%~ //Resource

to

WRITE_ASCIIE 0x30 ~a#sdsha%e%~ //Resource

and then reinstall the kit.

Guest blindfold

There's a typo in the .tp2 file that's causing the summoning effects to try to bring forth a non-existent creature.

to

Finally a simple solution for this, and it works! :crazyeyes:

Thank you.

All that trouble because one measly letter was missing,

wonder what's the point of that E in there anyways?

OT: WRITE_ASCIIE is a short form for the command WRITE_ASCII_EVALUATED.

When you're dealing with variables in WeiDU (like the %e% in the string above), most of the time when you use them like ~a#sdsha%e%~, the %e% will be replaced at runtime with the value of the variable. In this case, the variable e will be a number between 1 and 4 (the code uses a loop to simplify making 4 creatures and 4 effects to summon the creatures), so the resulting strings should look like ~a#sdsha1~ or ~a#sdsha3~. WRITE_ASCII_EVALUATED will do this, but WRITE_ASCII won't.

For whatever reason, the standard behaviour with WRITE_ASCII (and SAY) is to not evaluate variables. The normal WRITE_ASCII writes each character encountered without evaluating variables, so the 8-character string in this case ended up looking like ~a#sdsha%~ and the extra ~e%~ was written over some other field that it shouldn't have been, because the resource field is only supposed to hold 8 characters.

Forgetting to use the _EVALUATED versions of these commands is a frequent oversight, but the good news is that it is fairly easy to spot when looking at a file in NI and it's super easy to fix.

Curiosity sated? :crazyeyes:

to

Mike1072, thanks we'll fix this with the BW Fixpack, too. :crazyeyes:

Perhaps there is a possibility that someone will upload a new SaS version, because of the mentioned fixes and the German translation...

Greetings Leomar

Guest blindfold

OT: WRITE_ASCIIE is a short form for the command WRITE_ASCII_EVALUATED.

When you're dealing with variables in WeiDU (like the %e% in the string above), most of the time when you use them like ~a#sdsha%e%~, the %e% will be replaced at runtime with the value of the variable. In this case, the variable e will be a number between 1 and 4 (the code uses a loop to simplify making 4 creatures and 4 effects to summon the creatures), so the resulting strings should look like ~a#sdsha1~ or ~a#sdsha3~. WRITE_ASCII_EVALUATED will do this, but WRITE_ASCII won't.

For whatever reason, the standard behaviour with WRITE_ASCII (and SAY) is to not evaluate variables. The normal WRITE_ASCII writes each character encountered without evaluating variables, so the 8-character string in this case ended up looking like ~a#sdsha%~ and the extra ~e%~ was written over some other field that it shouldn't have been, because the resource field is only supposed to hold 8 characters.

Forgetting to use the _EVALUATED versions of these commands is a frequent oversight, but the good news is that it is fairly easy to spot when looking at a file in NI and it's super easy to fix.

Curiosity sated? :)

Definitely.

I think I almost understood that :crazyeyes:

Well, it's been a good learning experience.

Before this I didn't even know you could open and edit .tp2 files with as simple a program as Wordpad.

Cheers! :)

Archived