[Testers Wanted] Tweaks is dead. Long live Tweaks!

Don't get me wrong, I get the argument that HLAs are what you're "supposed" to see if you pass the XP cap. My counter-arguments are twofold:

1) HLAs are a BG2/TOB thing. In BG1/SoD/IWD getting to high levels not anticipated by the game design should not necessarily shunt you into the BG2/TOB ruleset.

2) Adding HLAs to BGEE/SoD more or less means adding a spell pack to the mod component. Look at how much work it's going to be for us to add IWDEE spells in FnP... that's what Camdawg would have to do, and it seems like he's a busy guy.

I mean, ideally, thus should have two subcomponents. Option 1, just uncap the XP limit. Option 2, uncap the XP limit and add HLAs at appropriate levels.

But one of those options can reasonably get done in a day or two, while the other might take weeks or months. For the guy who can't level up and play the game, that's a pretty immediate problem and the quicker solution is, for now, the better one.

Edited by subtledoctor

Actually removing the XP cap doesn't mean that you would have to make the level cap not exist & the ability to reach levels that exceed the requirements of the HLA rule set appear.

In EET Tweaks, there's an option to limit the chars to level 20, 30, 40 or 50, if memory serves, as you can set the 21, 31 etc xp level requirements to be -1.

This actually allows all kind of good things, you don't need to give HLAs in games that have non of them(BG1), while exp&IMPorting them to games that they can have then in will just turn out naturally as they get more levels and thus be able to receive High Level Abilities, for being at those levels.

Yeah but this component is just an XP cap remover

I disagree. This component installs a lvl 20, 30, or 50 ruleset, which includes updated XP cap, spell and THAC0 progression tables, backstab multipliers, etc. Everything is included to properly progress through these levels. Everything that is, except the ability to obtain HLAs.

1) HLAs are a BG2/TOB thing. In BG1/SoD/IWD getting to high levels not anticipated by the game design should not necessarily shunt you into the BG2/TOB ruleset.

I view things differently. I see the BG2/ToB ruleset as an extension of the BG1/SoD ruleset, just adapted for higher levels. This is particularly true for the EEs where all of these games (plus IWD) are all truly using the same engine (or soon will in the case of IWD). Considering the vast majority of players are likely now playing the Enhanced Editions instead of the original engine, this interpretation is not likely unpopular.

2) Adding HLAs to BGEE/SoD more or less means adding a spell pack to the mod component. Look at how much work it's going to be for us to add IWDEE spells in FnP... that's what Camdawg would have to do, and it seems like he's a busy guy.

I mean, ideally, thus should have two subcomponents. Option 1, just uncap the XP limit. Option 2, uncap the XP limit and add HLAs at appropriate levels.

But the spells and 2DAs already exist: they just need to be copied from BG2EE to the other games. A component adding HLAs is certainly not going to be available for every version of every game engine, but adding them to the EEs is mostly a matter of copy/paste.

But one of those options can reasonably get done in a day or two, while the other might take weeks or months. For the guy who can't level up and play the game, that's a pretty immediate problem and the quicker solution is, for now, the better one.

I certainly agree that removing any reference the the HLAs is the quickest and easiest solution, but I also very much hope that a better one will be developed.

Respectfully,

Sam.

I see the BG2/ToB ruleset as an extension of the BG1/SoD ruleset, just adapted for higher levels. This is particularly true for the EEs where all of these games (plus IWD) are all truly using the same engine (or soon will in the case of IWD). Considering the vast majority of players are likely now playing the Enhanced Editions instead of the original engine, this interpretation is not likely unpopular.

Neither BGEE nor SoD nor IWDEE have HLAs in their engine. They are their own campaigns, and HLAs have always been specifically a feature of the TOB campaign - not even BG2, specifically only the versions of BG2 that contain the TOB campaign.

But the spells and 2DAs already exist: they just need to be copied from BG2EE to the other games. A component adding HLAs is certainly not going to be available for every version of every game engine, but adding them to the EEs is mostly a matter of copy/paste.

Copy and paste the spells, of course. And the .2da files. And .bam and .vvc and .bcs and .eff files. And s bunch of strings. And then Weidu it all together again. Sure, we're not talking about complex code here, but it's definitely likely to be time-consuming.

But hey, I've been wrong before. Surely if it's so easy, someone will step up and contribute the code? And he, I've been meaning to get around to updating IWDification to use the EE version of those spells... perhaps someone could be a pal an copy/paste those over for me as well?

Edited by subtledoctor

Hi

I came across a small problem: the shape shifter rebalancing part of tweaks anthology does not seem to work. I can get the paws but cannot equip so cannot shift forms.

I am running the latest version of BG2EE with the newest patches from gog.

Any assistance would be a great help.

Thanks

Edited by magisensei

OK, I've got Mike's bug fixed, and tracked down the issue with dw#melri. It's Melissan's Ring of Wizardry from Wheels of Prophecy; it's misindexed so pretty much anything that patches it will either fail or make it worse.

On BGT, component 2150 of Tweaks Anthology still corrupts the dw#melri copies (C!PP29.ITM / CDPP29.ITM). I am not sure if it corrupts dw#melri.itm itself.
This is using the latest v5 of Wheels of Prophecy, which modified the dw#melri.itm in an attempt to avoid this problem.
The C!PP29.itm file causes the following error when installing component 1000 of SCS:
[./override/C!PP29.ITM] loaded, 554 bytes
ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 61610 of 554-byte file
ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 61610 of 554-byte file
ERROR: [C!PP29.ITM] -> [override/C!PP29.ITM] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Read out of bounds"))
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR Installing [initialise mod (all other components require this)], rolling back to previous state
Using latest Near Infinity dev snapshot, opening the file C!PP29.ITM is not possible ('null').
Attached for your convenience is the original dw#melri.itm from wheels\misc\ folder and the c!pp29.itm created by cdtweaks #2150. Is this enough to track down the problem?
Edit: This is NOT the same as the issue reported in http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28142 -- that is an issue with C!PP26.ITM, which is a clone of c2amul01.itm; my report here is about C!PP*29* not *26*.

before_and_after.zip

Edited by agb1

Alter Weapon Proficiency System: Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies. appears to be broken in BGEE with SOD installed. Instead of seeing weapons and descriptions for the modified placements, I instead get lines of dialogue.

For example, where it should say "Short sword/Ninja-to, I instead see "Enough with the pleasantries Zenlnick, You know what's been happening in the north? Then the description reads. "Some of it, Not as much as the commander of the Flaming Fist.. At least I hope not."

Alter Weapon Proficiency System: Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies. appears to be broken in BGEE with SOD installed. Instead of seeing weapons and descriptions for the modified placements, I instead get lines of dialogue.

For example, where it should say "Short sword/Ninja-to, I instead see "Enough with the pleasantries Zenlnick, You know what's been happening in the north? Then the description reads. "Some of it, Not as much as the commander of the Flaming Fist.. At least I hope not."

Do you have the steam or gog version of the game? If so, you need this:

forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

Do you have the steam or gog version of the game? If so, you need this:

forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

Thank you very much.. That worked. :)

On BGT, component 2150 of Tweaks Anthology still corrupts the dw#melri copies (C!PP29.ITM / CDPP29.ITM). I am not sure if it corrupts dw#melri.itm itself.

This is using the latest v5 of Wheels of Prophecy, which modified the dw#melri.itm in an attempt to avoid this problem.

I took a look, and this was a result of the Tweaks component not being able to handle items that had effects listed before abilities. I included a reindexing function and used it in this component so any items it encounters will have their abilities moved before their effects, hopefully negating the problem (in this component, at least).

Feel free to include these changes in the BiG World Fixpack until a new version of the Tweaks Anthology is released.