Gods! I love this cleric!

Guest DalreïDal

Guest DalreïDal

Heya all! Hey, really, I really love this mod :) It's really good, fine, well-written, Gavin's really got a personality.

So basically, I give you a heartfelt truck of back-patting :(

Now, I just want to make sure everything's alright, because I'm really worried about my favourite cleric's silence. I got a summons to go to the temple and see Keldath about something (it was Bassilus, I think, but I'm not sure). So I went to the temple and heard about it. Now I read in the readme that completing the quests is optional, so I didn't rush my way and tried to find Bassilus (you see, it's my first BG1 play-through, so I got no idea where to find him)... But now, it's been a good 5 or 6 hours of real playing time, and I got not a word from Gavin since I went to the temple... Is anything wrong??? I tried talking to him, and everything seems alright. I tried sleeping in an inn, sleeping in the wilderness, but still nothing... Btw, our reputation is at 15 now, could that silence him until it gets higher?

If anyone has any reassurances to produce, I'll be very happy :)

Gavin will never say another word about Bassilus. You have allowed him to obey his summons, so he's happy. After that, it's up to you.

The only time Gavin ever complains about the quest taking too long is if you won't go to the temple to receive the quest in the first place. After that, he's all right.

I'd like to warn you that if you do complete Gavin's first quest (Bassilus), and second quest (Mutamin), there is a problem with his third quest. Dummy (that would be me) assigned the quest assignment to the wrong Kelddath file. There is a hotfix for this in a stickied thread on this board that will allow you to use it mid-game without uninstalling anything. Unfortunately, it only works for windows.

None of his quests or interjections depend on reputation. If you are romancing him, the relationship will only go so far if the relationship is below 15, but you're all right there.

I am glad you are enjoying the mod! :)

Guest DalreïDal

Er, if everything is alright, then why does he stay silent for so long??? Btw, thanks for the word about the hotfix, since I haven't reached the third quest I'll install it as soon as I can.

What path are you pursuing, friendship, romance, or neither?

Both friendship and romance depend on alignment and class.

To be his friend, you can't be evil or an assassin. For a romance, you must be good, have a wisdom of 10 or better, a charisma of 12 or better, and you can't be an assassin, a bounty hunter or a necromancer.

There is a PID option that will shut him up. If you tell him you want more solitude, he leaves you alone. You have to use PID on him again and tell him it's OK to talk to you.

There are areas where he doesn't have a lot of interjections.

What PID menu choices do you get? That will give me some idea about what's going on in your game.

Guest DalreïDal
What path are you pursuing, friendship, romance, or neither?

Well, you see, I was rather hoping for a romance, but he's been a little too silent lately to qualify for that, lol :)

Both friendship and romance depend on alignment and class.

To be his friend, you can't be evil or an assassin. For a romance, you must be good, have a wisdom of 10 or better, a charisma of 12 or better, and you can't be an assassin, a bounty hunter or a necromancer.

I'm a neutral good, elven sorceress, (yipee for tutu which allows BG2 kits into BG1!) with WIS 10 and CHA 16, so I'd say everything's alright from that point of view, and reputation's coming along nicely.

There is a PID option that will shut him up. If you tell him you want more solitude, he leaves you alone. You have to use PID on him again and tell him it's OK to talk to you.

I definitely never told him to leave me alone, but I admit there's something weird with the PID menu on occasion, so I have been known to click the wrong reply at times (were you aware that you sometimes get duplicated lines for "Any advice, Gavin?" and when you click on the second one you get the answer for "How are you, Gavin?"... Although that comes and goes. Usually restarting the PID makes it go away.) In any case, I don't get the line to tell him that it's ok to talk to me again, so it should be alright.

There are areas where he doesn't have a lot of interjections.

I'm talking about speeches here, not interjections. Lovetalks, whatever you call them... He's as close-mouthed as a mussel on low tide (sorry, I'm a marine biologist... it can't help but show at times).

What PID menu choices do you get? That will give me some idea about what's going on in your game.

Err, from memory just like that, err... I must have like 15 of them, mostly the "harmless" flirts, smile, touch his hand, touch his face, got an eyelash in his eye, how's he doing, any advice, glad to have a cleric around, some others, and then the "necessary ones", I think you're getting the wrong idea about us, I need some solitude... that's about all I can think of (although looking at it right now, I'm thinking I should be doing something more productive with that biologist's memory of mine...).

So, is it normal for him to just stop talking? Is he waiting for something? And I heard a lot about jealousy comments. I mean, come on, I got Ajantis and Xan along, shouldn't Gavin begin to feel the soup's hot???

Yeah, I think it's time for that saved game. Something is definitely not right, and I can't tell what it is without checking some variables.

Did he ever give you any lovetalks? He must have, or you wouldn't have his early romance PID menu.

What was the last thing he said to you?

You can send the saved game to rtannahill at msn dot com.

Guest DalreïDal

Er, sorry to be such a not-competent user, but, what do you mean by "savegame"? Do you want the folder called "MyLastSaveGame-00000001" (or somesuch) in my saves directory? Or do you want some specific file(s) in that?

Anyway it's gonna be a few hours still, it's lunch break at work here in E Canada.

Btw, yep I got a few lovetalks, but I don't remember so well... Anyway it sounded well underway, he got my elven maiden blushing a few times calling her an "intriguing woman" and all... I'll send over my savegame as soon as I can :)

You can open up your saved game folder like any other file, but you know that, or you wouldn't have been able to tell me the name format. You should just be able to right-click on the latest entry and select "send to email recipient". I'm just going to be opening it with NI to check the variables.

It's possible that you might have unintentionally ended the relationship, I suppose, but I'll be able to answer it when I see your save.

I am delighted and greatly relieved to report that there is nothing wrong with your game. Everything is functioning exactly as it should, flirts work fine, and the lovetalks are sitting there waiting for you.

If you want to prove this, you can either just wait, or you can advance the real timer by typing the following into the console:

CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime(20000)

That will give you the flirts from all the boys, and will give you lovetalks from everybody that isn't Gavin.

To get Gavin's next lovetalk, you need to camp outside during daylight.

Some of his talks have special conditions. I decided to do this to give players the option of having natural pauses in the romance, should they want to pursue other relationships for a while without having a lot of LTs from Gavin. To get LT5, you have to camp outside during daylight. To get LT9, you have to sleep at an inn. There are a few like that.

Like I said, I'm relieved that the problem was not with your installation, or with the mod.

Archived