Soulknife changes

Rathwellin the Bard

Well it's cool for one.

True to the PnP version for another.

But most of all making it a ranged weapon has the possiblity of eliminating cheese ... or creating bugs. If the Mind Blade is a ranged weapon then the engine will prohibit you from dual wielding it with another weapon.

That could be good if you don't want a Mind Blade + Blem setup.

It could be bad if you want dual wielding Mind Blade short swords.

In PnP the 3.5 Soulknife can only throw the Mind Blade once per round until 17th level. After that he can make a full BAB throwing attack. Maybe the 'throw Mind Blade' should be an innate ablity rather than just making the weapon ranged.

I guess I'm having trouble grasping how it's a "cooler" concept (especially given that it's basically the same principle as any other magical weapon right now-- I find making the kit unique to be cooler), or why being true to PnP is an advantage. :)

Eliminating cheese is indeed an important issue, but I was imagining it being treated as any other magical weapon in this respect: it's created in the magical weapon slot, and is the only weapon you use. Dual-wielding does not happen.

I guess I'm having trouble grasping how it's a "cooler" concept (especially given that it's basically the same principle as any other magical weapon right now-- I find making the kit unique to be cooler), or why being true to PnP is an advantage. :)

There are literally dozens of good & cool melee weapons in the game. There are some decent launchers.

There are only a *handful* of good thrown weapons.

I fail to see how making the Mind Blade ... the signature ability of this kit ... more like the most numerous good weapons in the game would make them more 'unique'.

Um. What are you talking about? The mind blade WOULD effectively be a ranged weapon by the time you reached whatever level. I'm just suggesting more of a gradient: a mix between melee and ranged. That's something the game hasn't done before.

Ah, sorry if I didn't explain it clearly. I'm suggesting that the Soulknife's weapon shouldn't be a thrown weapon per se, but that after however many levels, it should have advanced to a melee weapon with the same range as a thrown weapon (Mordenkainen's Sword in IWD is a good reference here). Thus, if somebody comes close, you can fight them in melee with no penalties, and you can still use it at a distance.

For what it's worth (probably not much if anything) i agree with Sim. I haven't started a new game since Song and Silence came out, but I was looking foward to making use of this new 'long range melee weapon'. The change would make the kit must more generic. While that could have it's value too (I have to admit I played as a paladin to try out the holy avenger) imo it would make the kit a lot less interesting.

Ah, sorry if I didn't explain it clearly. I'm suggesting that the Soulknife's weapon shouldn't be a thrown weapon per se, but that after however many levels, it should have advanced to a melee weapon with the same range as a thrown weapon (Mordenkainen's Sword in IWD is a good reference here). Thus, if somebody comes close, you can fight them in melee with no penalties, and you can still use it at a distance.

Ironic that you mention this. I'm playing IWD2 for the first time right now. I just used Mordenkainen's Sword ingame for the first time last night. That was pretty cool!

I realized yesterday that Ranger would be the perfect class to make a soulknife kit ... if not for the alignment and hardcoded falling restrictions. It's a sneaky fighting class. All one would have to do is disable the spellcasting and replace that with the Soulknife. Too bad about the engine limits.

Guest Guest_anonymous_*

I realized yesterday that Ranger would be the perfect class to make a soulknife kit ... if not for the alignment and hardcoded falling restrictions. It's a sneaky fighting class. All one would have to do is disable the spellcasting and replace that with the Soulknife. Too bad about the engine limits.

What about monks?

Archived