extended quest for the robe of vecna?

something i saw on the refinements section of forgotten wars...someone was noting how utterly cheesy and uber is increased acuity, robe of vecna and amulet of power is for a sorceror, or kensai mage..

and someone quipped up as to how cheesy is being able to buy such a powerful artifact level item as the robe of vecna early in the game...

so why not remove the robe from the adventure mart, and make it part of the loot for an existing hard quest, or create a unique quest all its own...make it part of firky's loot, or dropped by the shade lord, or give it to tolgarious, make you earn the robe...

you appreciate an item more if you earn it...

and it would be a great way to add a small quest in the game, one full of rather tough monsters to kill if you want to really earn the ultimate mark of achievement for a sorc or mage...

Not a bad idea.  I think it should be a pretty difficult quest, though.  A new quest would be nice, but it would certainly need to be well written.

like going up against vecna himself??? :D:D:D

i really was thinking of tolgarious, the joker in the planar sphere..he's not too powerful, but the robe would seriously make him a contender, much more dangerous...

and of course you'd want a reward, like the description gets edited...

"so recently, the odd history of this robe included, as was often the case, a little tale of treachery and deceit. Tolgarious attempted to use the child of bhaal, charname in a bid to control another artifact of mighty power, the planar sphere of lavok. He attempted to have him/her bring the last scion of the corthalanas to him for the purpose of using his blood to open the doors of this mighty engine of travel, yet in the end, tolgarious feeds the worms, and charname still lives..."

one more thing...i find it unbelievable that an artifact level item, no matter how obscene the price remains unsold for ANY length of time in amn...it makes the most sense that a powerful mage as tolgarious as soon as he heard would buy the item, or have it stolen or even extort it from ribaud.. :D

My sole objection to Tolgerias having the robe is that the Planar Sphere is already set up to reward mages. I'd rather see it added to one of Bodhi's chapter 6 vampires, both to prevent early cheese and to make her lair more difficult.

My sole objection to Tolgerias having the robe is that the Planar Sphere is already set up to reward mages. I'd rather see it added to one of Bodhi's chapter 6 vampires, both to prevent early cheese and to make her lair more difficult.

tanova???

or bodhi herself, to make her casting of her spells faster???

either way, it would be good... :D

but you like the general concept, that the artifact should be won, and not simply bought? :D

No Vecna here please! I hate it when people talk about how they killed Elminster and stuff, but Vecna (from what I read) would even tell Kangaxx where to stick it in mage terms. Vecna could be a late ToB encounter, but not level 12, please!

A new and exciting quest: travel to the horror-filled world of Ravenloft, fight your way to the dwelling of the dreaded arch-lich Vecna and... loot his laundry basket.

You will not only get the famous Robe of Vecna, but also the Dirty Socks of Vecna, the Rahter Worn Out Favourite T-shirt of Vecna, With the Name of His Favourite Band On It, and the dreaded Underwear of Vecna, with powers the mortal mind cannot begin to comprehend.

Archived