[OS X] Unable to install BG2 Fixpack

Guest tom96

Guest tom96

Hi, I recently re-discovered BG2- SOA and I am trying to install the BG2 fixpack. I am running Mac OsX 10.5.8 on a dual G5. When running the setup-bg2fixpack.command script I get the following:

/Applications/BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-bg2fixpack.command ; exit;

TheOelworks-Power-Mac-G5:~ admin$ /Applications/BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-bg2fixpack.command ; exit;

: No such file or directorytup-bg2fixpack.command: line 1:

logout

[Process completed]

What's wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The file setup-bg2fixpack.command has Windows line endings (\r\n) instead of Unix (\n). To convert it, run Terminal (it's in Applications/Utilities) and type:

cd your-BG2-directory

tr -d \\r < setup-bg2fixpack.command > new

mv new setup-bg2fixpack.command

chmod +x setup-bg2fixpack.command

Guest tom96
The file setup-bg2fixpack.command has Windows line endings (\r\n) instead of Unix (\n). To convert it, run Terminal (it's in Applications/Utilities) and type:

cd your-BG2-directory

tr -d \\r < setup-bg2fixpack.command > new

mv new setup-bg2fixpack.command

chmod +x setup-bg2fixpack.command

Thanks Steve. I tried that but unfortunately it still doesn't work. Could it be a problem with access privileges ?

Welp, whoever packaged the Mac version of BG2 Fixpack made the file with ancient MacOS9 line endings (\r) instead of Unix (\n). Here's what the file should be:

command_path=${0%/*}

cd "$command_path"

./setup-bg2fixpack

It'll probably be easiest to edit your setup-bg2fixpack.command file, delete everything, and paste in the three lines above.

Uh, it shouldn't have changed any time recently... it appears we leave no stone unturned when looking for stuff to screw up. Sorry, guys.

Maybe for v10, I'll actually do the Mac package (and switch from stupid rar too). <-- empty promise

Guest tom96
Welp, whoever packaged the Mac version of BG2 Fixpack made the file with ancient MacOS9 line endings (\r) instead of Unix (\n). Here's what the file should be:

command_path=${0%/*}

cd "$command_path"

./setup-bg2fixpack

It'll probably be easiest to edit your setup-bg2fixpack.command file, delete everything, and paste in the three lines above.

Works now after delete and paste edit of the setup-bg2fixpack.command file. Thank you !!!

Guest Frustrated OSX user

Hey guys, I have been trying to install the fixpack on my OSX 10.6.3 and have run into a bit of a problem. the command prompt won't open. I edited it w text wrangler to the lines you suggested but it still doesnt have the ability to follow through? is there anything I am missing such as setting persmissions? all help would be appreciated I just want to play BG2 i've been trying to get this war beast up and running for almost a day and a half! I need an adult.

Try manually launching Terminal.app and just drag and drop the .command file onto the Terminal window and hit Return.

If that doesn't work, you can still just manually cd to the BG2 directory and run the installer directly (open Terminal, type "cd " with the space after cd but without the quotes, and then type the path to the BG2 folder or find the folder and then drag and drop it onto the Terminal window, hit Return, and then execute "./setup-bg2fixpack" w/o quotes). That's really all the command script does.

Guest distraught osx user
Try manually launching Terminal.app and just drag and drop the .command file onto the Terminal window and hit Return.

If that doesn't work, you can still just manually cd to the BG2 directory and run the installer directly (open Terminal, type "cd " with the space after cd but without the quotes, and then type the path to the BG2 folder or find the folder and then drag and drop it onto the Terminal window, hit Return, and then execute "./setup-bg2fixpack" w/o quotes). That's really all the command script does.

Tried unsuccessfully, is there a way to bypass having the cds? because I have a pirated version, for obvious reasons. Like BG2 is almost 100$ because of how rare it is and I just want to play an old favorite on my Macbook. I did own all the bg and icewind dale series for p.c. when I actually owned one. any advice for bypassing the CD protocol because mounting it doesnt work I even burned TOB after it was installed and my computer does not recognize it. absolute madness sir. Help please!

Guest Guest

It is saying permission denied every time I drag and drop it into terminal. how do I give it permissions??? sorry I am a super newb

Guest William

I'm also running 10.6. I pointed to the file path and then tried to manually execute "./setup-bg2fixpack" and even with forced super user root access, i'm STILL getting "./setup-bg2_fixpack: Permission denied."

It is the same with the drag and drop method too:

"/Applications/Baldur's Gate II ToB.app/Contents/install_bg2_fixpack.command: Permission denied."

any ideas?

Guest HowardTheDuck

I too get the permission denied error, even after manually chmodding the .command files... looks like the actual setup files themselves are read/write only for system and read only for everyone else. I'm not sure how to go about changing all of those with the terminal but could that be the issue?

sudo chmod -R 777 <drag bg2fixpack folder onto Terminal for path>

Enter your admin password when prompted. This will set all files in the bg2fixpack folder (and subfolders) to rwx for all users (nasty, I know, but whatever).

What is the exact error you get after you run chmod +x on the .command file? Did you unpack with StuffIt Expander (some of the other RAR unarchivers were known to break permissions)?

Guest Chairmclee

I hope someone here can help me with what appears to be the same problem with the BG2 Fixpack.

I unarchive it with Stuffit Expander, drag the resulting folder to my BGII folder in my Hard Drive, and attempt to open the setup-bg2fixpack.command file and get a message that says "The file “setup-bg2fixpack.command†could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges."

So I go to the terminal and type chmod +x and then drag the .command file and press enter and it appears to do what that does fine. Then, however, when double clicking or dragging directly in to terminal the .command file I get a message in the terminal that says

"Last login: Fri Sep 17 02:15:35 on ttys001

/Users/CharlesClark/BGII/OSX-bg2_fixpack-v9/setup-bg2fixpack.command ; exit;

charles-clarks-macbook-pro:~ CharlesClark$ /Users/CharlesClark/BGII/OSX-bg2_fixpack-v9/setup-bg2fixpack.command ; exit;

: No such file or directoryX-bg2_fixpack-v9/setup-bg2fixpack.command: line 1:

logout

[Process completed]"

So I do the chmod +x thing on the other file in the folder called "setup-bg2fixpack" and it becomes an Unix Executable file. But, when clicking on it it says in the terminal window:

Last login: Fri Sep 17 02:20:23 on ttys001

charles-clarks-macbook-pro:~ CharlesClark$ /Users/CharlesClark/BGII\ -\ SoA/OSX-bg2_fixpack-v9/setup-bg2fixpack ; exit;

[/users/CharlesClark/BGII - SoA/OSX-bg2_fixpack-v9/setup-bg2fixpack] WeiDU version 21300

ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, going ahead anyway!

Sys_error("setup-bg2fixpack: No such file or directory")

** ERROR ** [sETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] not found.

Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and

that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.

ERROR: Unable to find CHITIN.KEY in:

../..

../../..

../../../..

/BGII - SoA

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Unable to find CHITIN.KEY: run me in an Infinity Engine game directory")

Press ENTER to exit.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.4 on a Mac Book Pro. Installed both BGII and ToB today and restarted after doing so.

Hope someone can help me out or give me more things to try. Let me know if there's any information I left out.

Thanks.

Archived