[BUG] Kivan's Super Flight Arrows

Kivan's De'Arnise arrows that you fletch together with him have a slight bug in the item description; the description is cut off and runs off the page, and isn't in the right place on the item screen, either. It's easier to show than describe:

kivanbug.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm using the latest version of the mod, v13, and while I have about 40-odd mods installed on a standard BG2 game, I don't think they would influence this particular bug.

cheers!

1) sorry for posting almost 4 months later

2) it addresses this topic specifically tho

I'm getting ready to install this and was checking for any 'new' bugs since the last update. seems this is the only one. I've taken a look at the tp2 & the tra file.

COPY ~kivan/itm/P#AROW.ITM~ ~override~
SAY NAME1 @183
 SAY NAME2 @184
 SAY DESC @185

@183  = ~Arrow +3~
@184  = ~The flight arrow, as its name implies, is built for distance.  These are lightweight arrows and are often used for hunting.  Most of these arrows are made of ash or birch and are 30 to 40 inches long.
STATISTICS:
Damage:  1D6
Damage type:  missile (piercing)
Weight:  0
Launcher:  Bow
Not usable by:
Cleric
Druid
Mage~
@185  = ~These enchanted missiles far surpass the craftsmanship of any arrow, magical or otherwise, you have ever seen.
STATISTICS:
Damage:  1D6
THACO:  +3
Damage type:  missile (piercing)
Weight: 0
Launcher:  Bow
Not usable by:
Cleric
Druid
Mage~

It looks as if the 184 reference could be the un-identified description while 185 is the identified description. now 183 is the only reference for a name. I guess the simplest would be to adjust the tp2 into

SAY NAME1 @183
 SAY NAME2 @183
 SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @184
 SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @185

However I'd think that there should be a more unique name for the identified version.

Since the one description says The flight arrow, as its name implies, is built for distance. I'd suggest and un-identified name of "Flight Arrow" and a identified name of "Flight Arrow +3" Especially since arow15.itm already exists in the game as "Arrow +3" That would make 183 become "Flight Arrow +3" and we add 186 (since 185 is the last entry in setup.tra) to be "Flight Arrow" and adjust the tp2 further into this

SAY NAME1 @186
 SAY NAME2 @183
 SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @184
 SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @185

However, what is more interesting is if I open the P#arow.itm file in Near Infinity using an unmodded BGT dialog.tlk (only BG2 Fixpack installed prior to BGT) as well as totally unmodified BG2 (no mods at all) dialog.tlk, I get everything in it's proper place with "Arrow" as unid name and "Arrow +3" as id name and the two descriptions exactly where I suggested they should be. My guess is that the arow15.itm was copied to be the base item and the text entries simply mixed up. May be safest then to simply comment out the the copy block in the tp2 since it already points to existing strings inside the item file.

Again tho for being a mod added Item it should have a distinctive name. I can foresee people trying to stack these arrows with the regular Arrow +3

For now, to get the game setup and going I will comment out the culprit copy block in my local tp2

Thanks for the heads-up, plainab! One of these days... probably the first weekend in May... I'm going to do a massive update of everything. Kivan's arrows will get the proper name, Crossmod Banter Pack will get updated with the new banters everybody has been submitting, I'll get updates done on my own mods, etc. But things are a little hectic right now, so I have to ask folks to be patient.

You are right, though. It's probably safest to use strings from the tp2 rather than relying on game resources. Otherwise, we get things like Jastey's love confession from BG-minus-ToSC!

Archived