Boo should appear in the quickslot plz.

Can we make Boo show up? I was thinking about this the other day (I was going to add a little usable ability so he squeaks when clicked), but I read somewhere else that getting Boo to appear in the quick item slots doesn't quite work.

If Minsc is in the party (or has been in the party, maybe), you need to add an extension header to misc84.itm and edit the .gam from the savegame (you need to enable the quickslot).

If Minsc is not in the party (and never has been?) you only need to add an extension header to misc84.itm.

AFAIK, there is no way to edit the .gam from save games with WeiDU atm. I have sent a request for such a feature to TB.

Don't take it to heart. It's not at all my decision.

Honestly it doesn't matter. Since we generally have working v185 patch code for just about everything it's just easier to copy-and-paste for new patches rather than using a nifty new 185+ feature.

Regardless, I'm completely against screwing with peoples' saved games.

Ditto. We're not going into save games to make area/store changes retroactive either. :O

If Avenger's got code to fix this, though, let's get it in.

I think igi is saying we only have to give Boo an ability. I'd be leery of anything that causes Minsc to pause for a round if the player accidentally clicks Boo (not that big a deal, but weird, since Boo won't actually do anything).

Got it.

Did some testing--if we add a an ability header we can specify Boo as a quick slot icon on the game screen. As long as the ability has an invalid target (I used a magical ability with a target value of 0) you can click on Boo all you want and it won't interrupt Minsc's casting, walking, attacking, etc. If Boo actually does something (like squeak) he needs a valid target value and starts interrupting Minsc's action sequence.

// Boo gets a quickslot icon
COPY_EXISTING ~misc84.itm~ ~override~
 READ_LONG   0x64 "abil_off"
 READ_SHORT  0x68 "abil_num"
 WRITE_SHORT 0x68 ("%abil_num%" + 1)
 READ_LONG   0x6a "fx_off"
 WRITE_LONG  0x6a ("%fx_off%" + 0x38)
 READ_SHORT  0x70 "fx_num"
 INSERT_BYTES "%abil_off%" 0x38 // new ability
   WRITE_BYTE  ("%abil_off%"       ) 3          // magical ability
   WRITE_BYTE  ("%abil_off%" + 0x02) 3          // item slots
   WRITE_ASCII ("%abil_off%" + 0x04) ~imisc84~  // boo icon
   WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x20) "%fx_num%" // fx index
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Don't take it to heart. It's not at all my decision.

Honestly it doesn't matter. Since we generally have working v185 patch code for just about everything it's just easier to copy-and-paste for new patches rather than using a nifty new 185+ feature.

Fine. However, some of those should really be used everywhere for improved readability - STRING_EQUAL_CASE for one (which has the 'obvious' return values, rather than having to do "a S_C_C b = 0" like we have to do now). It'd be also good for the newbies reading the code.

Fine. However, some of those should really be used everywhere for improved readability - STRING_EQUAL_CASE for one (which has the 'obvious' return values, rather than having to do "a S_C_C b = 0" like we have to do now). It'd be also good for the newbies reading the code.
I don't buy this. String comparison routines are pretty much standard everywhere you look; once the "newbie" learns that !0 indicates non-matching strings, and 0 indicates matching strings, then there's nothing inherent in STRING_EQUAL vs. STRING_COMPARE that's any more or less readable.

I think there are at least 10 threads where a newbie asks why S_C_C doesn't work correctly in the IE Modding Help forum of G3, and then add to it the SHS, PPG, BWL, CoM ones...

Besides,

scanf("%d",&an_int);

is a pretty standard routine in C, but I'd argue about its readability nevertheless.

My earlier attempt at replying while at work didn't take so here goes. I downloaded the Quickslot 'Boo' from SHS. It is incompatible with Cliffette's 'Kidnapping of Boo' from Unfinished Business. While the inventory Boo gets replaced and returned with Cliffette's code, the new quickslot Boo remains.

Archived