Request for the next version of Gavin

Guest OneEyedPhoenix

Guest OneEyedPhoenix

Could you add some kind of lock to the door of the Beregost house?

As it is I get hold of a "Full Plate Mail" and an "Robe of evil archmagi" way too early in the game.

Guest OneEyedPhoenix
Probably, but versioning up isn't in the cards for the next month.

If you get it the month after you'll still be well below expected mod-update time... :)

Guest OneEyedPhoenix
Considering that I've only made one deadline ever... well... (babbles something about free time and computer issues and wanders off muttering to self)

"Patience! I will get to it eventually... (These monkeys don't know how valuable my time is.)" :)

Considering that I've only made one deadline ever... well... (babbles something about free time and computer issues and wanders off muttering to self)

Hee hee! Edwin conflict, perhaps??? I can only dream! Ooh, and more Xan conflict! Ooh! Ooh! (Never mind, you can only do so much after all...)

Anyway, my most important request is just to plain be able to have him in SOA.

Take care not to burn yourself out Berelinde. You've obviously got so much on your plate. We'll be here, I know I will, for Gavin whenever he's ready.

A new addition to our family and emergency home repairs have me tied up, at present, but things are coming along nicely, and I am still modding when I can.

But you're right about finding the RL/modding balance. Neglect RL and you'll have all the time in the world to mod, but no more spouse or friends, and that would suck.

Don't know if you're familiar with "The Lady of Shallot." There's some discussion about the meaning of the poem. It's definitely a warning of some kind, but the nature of the danger is unclear. Some interpret it to mean that there is a danger that those of an artistic or creative nature might spend so much time in their dream worlds, seeing life through a mirror rather than going out and living it, that they are unequipped to deal with the real world, which then destroys them. There are other interpretations, but I like that one best. So, yeah, a connection with the real word is important to maintain.

The good news is that when I do get a chance to sit down at the computer, I work very quickly.

A new addition to our family
A what? I recently acquired a parrot (quite accidently I can assure you). Is it anything like that?
But you're right about finding the RL/modding balance. Neglect RL and you'll have all the time in the world to mod, but no more spouse or friends, and that would suck.
Nah. If they truly loved you, they'd understand your modding habit. Some people watch soap operas in their spare time, is that any more productive than modding? Rhetorical question there (because the answer is obviously "no").
Don't know if you're familiar with "The Lady of Shallot."
Yeah. Well sort of. I have Loreena McKennitt's version on MP3 jukebox but I'll admit I've never read the poem or lyrics (yes I'm lame and don't care).

We've got a new housemate, a young friend who's really good about helping with home repair. In a 100 year old fixer-upper, there's a lot to fix.

But there's a big chunk of modding time on the horizon, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've been banging my head against this request for a year now, and I still don't know how to lock a door. I've checked a lot of code, but it just isn't making sense to me, I'm afraid.

Sorry, but I don't think I'm going to be able to comply with this request. It's beyond my modding knowledge.

Ah, well you just had to ask. No sense in bruising your brain when mine is sufficiently jellied enough so that coding in gibberish doesn't phase me much anymore :).

But I'm confused now. The only place you can get Full Plate in Beregost in the standard game is from Thunderhammer Smithy. Surely, OneEyedPhoenix was not suggesting locking the door to *that*. As for the Robe of the Evil Archmagi, only Davaeorn has that in the vanilla game, and he's miles from Beregost. Is this stuff something some megamod adds? I wouldn't expect Gavin to be adding that kind of gear to Beregost but then I dunno - maybe some sort of quest?

Yeah, it's a quest reward. You have to kill a high-level SCS-enhanced cleric that literally buries you under a mountain of skeletons to get it, and there's an SCS-enhanced mage upstairs, so I didn't think it was that unbalancing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just too fried to deal with it anymore.

Ok, well I installed it and see they spawn in

fw3400/ar9300, the outdoor Beregost temple area

So, eh... which door should be locked? Edit: nm found it. You've got some wacky stuff what with CREs spawning in one area then immediately moving to another :)...

(And, as it probably shouldn't be pickable, at least not by a low-level thief, what would you need to open it?)

Edit: Incidentally, are you aware you extend the same scripts with the same blocks twice in a row in v3 (once around line 557 and again around line 564)?

I'm not worried about the lock. If they can get past the high level cleric and the mage, a locked door isn't going to present any kind of challenge.

And no, I wasn't aware that I'm extending the same script twice. Dammit. I just versioned up, too. No kidding, not 5 minutes before I read your post.

Archived