Bug Reports for Version 1.1 Beta

berelinde

Guest Shieara

Got a dialogue bug in Nashkel. After we cleared the mines and ran into Nimbul I got...

Gavin:Nice greeting, who is this guy?

Gavin: Please <charname> as the father of a small child, I can bear this no longer. Something about a guessing game that I forgot to write down.

Looks like the second line is out of place.

I had removed both gavin patch and the 1.0 version before starting a new game, but I suppose there could be a ghost or something. Anyways, might be worth a look.

Yeah. It's a scrambled string. His interjection ends with "Nice greeting. Who is this guy, anyway?"

Afterward, he'll remark on the idea of being hunted by assassins.

The second line you're seeing is actually a Neb interjection.

Tutu seems especially prone to problems with uninstalling/reinstalling, I'm afraid.

This is nothing serious, but the guy in Gavin's house in Beregost will only say the generic "I don't know what you are doing in my house, but please leave," sort of line. Gavn's dialog does not trigger where he is supposed to ask the guy if the lady of the house is present.

Hmm. Will look into it. That is partially based on a reaction roll, so it's likely that Galteran doesn't like you very much (in which case, Gavin won't comment).

Did I give you instructions on extracting a dialogue file with WeiDU? If so, I'd like you to decompile B!GAVINJ.dlg for me, and send it to the usual place. I don't think this is a bug, but your decompiled file will help me rule that out.

I didn't touch this interjection in revision, so if it worked in the last version, and I know it did, it should work in the current one. And I know you started with a fresh installation.

But like I said, there's a chance that the reaction roll was not as favorable as it could have been (possible with a CG or NG PC who has just started the game and hasn't done much to improve her rep yet).

I think I'm just going to hijack Galteran's dialogue for the next version, because I'd kind of like Gavin to say something no matter what the reaction roll is.

Hmm. Will look into it. That is partially based on a reaction roll, so it's likely that Galteran doesn't like you very much (in which case, Gavin won't comment).

Did I give you instructions on extracting a dialogue file with WeiDU? If so, I'd like you to decompile B!GAVINJ.dlg for me, and send it to the usual place. I don't think this is a bug, but your decompiled file will help me rule that out.

I didn't touch this interjection in revision, so if it worked in the last version, and I know it did, it should work in the current one. And I know you started with a fresh installation.

But like I said, there's a chance that the reaction roll was not as favorable as it could have been (possible with a CG or NG PC who has just started the game and hasn't done much to improve her rep yet).

I think I'm just going to hijack Galteran's dialogue for the next version, because I'd kind of like Gavin to say something no matter what the reaction roll is.

I don't believe you gave me instructions on how to do that. You can either do that here or by PM. Either way, I'll try to get it to you. I do get Gavin very early as I want to be with him right away and have the party I want get all the XP we can together. Yes, it could well be a rep thing. In my previous installations sometimes the man spoke with Gavin, sometimes no. So I think you are right. So, if you want the file, let me know, if not, no biggie. Now that I think of it, it is likely the rep thing and you don't need to worry about it!

Yes, I think your rep is a factor. Gavin doesn't comment unless Galteran's reaction is pretty darned good. If your rep is 11 or 12, it's likely you're never going to see those lines.

I don't think I need that file after all, but I'm probably going to post general decompiling instructions in a separate thread anyway, since it's good general knowledge, and anyone who's ever written a mod is likely to ask for that info sooner or later. Maybe I won't do it today, tho. I've got some play time, and I don't want to waste it.

But I think I will put the Galteran dialogue adjustment on my to-do list. This is really something that shouldn't be left to the luck of a die roll.

Okay I finally registered also.

But anyways, I reinstalled everything (easytutu, tutfix, tututweaks, bg1npc) and now I have a game free of scrambled strings. Which is good because it was driving me nuts.

Here are two minor things I have come across...

At the flirt menu:

"Touch Gavin's hand."

"Gavin's cheeks redden. Do you need anything?"

NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS

In Nashkel. I had forgotten about the ring that you find in the mines (Joseph's greenstone ring), so I actually found the ring and then went looking for it's owner.

As soon as you enter the widow's house, you get the line from Gavin. "Damn, how I wish we could bring the poor widow happier news." However, in my case this didn't make much sense, as we had never talked to her before and there was no way he should have known that she was the widow. Again, something that most people probably wouldn't have run into, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Edit by B: coded

This is the code for your first observation. There is no earthly reason you should be getting a NVROL there. I just don't know what's up with it. Anybody else have an ideas?

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN BGavinTalk3.2a2

SAY ~* Gavin's cheeks redden. *~

= ~Do you need anything?~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

The second thing is because I'm an idiot. I added the variable setting that would detect whether or not Gavin had talked to the widow before investigating the mine to the wrong script block. I simply used an area check to set the variable, not realizing that it would work *any* time the area was entered, not just before the mine is cleared. I'll stick a chapter check on the variable setting so that he'll only say it if he's been in that house *before* the mine was cleared.

Well, the final battle in his third quest was buggy for me.

When the enemies finally became hostile, only the cleric and his minions attacked. The three guys wearing leather became hostile but just stood there (even after I attacked them), and the butler guy never did became hostile. He would still go through the entire conversation loop even after the cleric+minions+guards were dead.

Kind of weird because my install should be clean. I'm wondering though, with this and the other bug whether I shouldn't start back at square 1 again.

Ah, no, this is because the combat script for the thugs needs to be changed is bugged. I suck at scripting actions.

The buttler didn't ever go hostile because he was supposed to leave via the stairs. I'll have to check to make sure that he does that.

And I'll have to fix the combat script for the thugs.

Maybe I'm the only one this is happening to, but I no longer have any PID's, after installing V1.1 (as well as extracting the RAR you had provided). Any reasons why that would be? I thought he had PIDs, romance or no, and I know I'm not at the romance yet, but there's something fishy in that "Gavin has nothing to say to you."

Edit by B: coded

If you did a fresh installation, did you remember to apply the patch?

If you didn't do a fresh installation, you've probably got scrambled strings, and, as I neglected to assign a hotkey to fix the strings without resorting to PID, this might not be an option.

During the installation, are you absolutely certain you chose to install PIDs? If not, you can rerun the installation for just that part.

If you did a fresh installation, did you remember to apply the patch?

If you didn't do a fresh installation, you've probably got scrambled strings, and, as I neglected to assign a hotkey to fix the strings without resorting to PID, this might not be an option.

During the installation, are you absolutely certain you chose to install PIDs? If not, you can rerun the installation for just that part.

Not sure if this is a bug or I also need a fresh install but, in 2 consecutive

games, Gavin commented on "the letter" in candlekeep before he knew

about it. The letter is read right after he comments on it

Nothing I can do about that. The two events are separate. The talking letter is introduced by BG1 NPC, not by BG1. In order for Gavin to comment on it as the BG1 NPC npcs do, I would have to require that BG1 NPC be installed. I'm not really willing to do that. I tried putting a timer on it, but it wound up not working at all, so I had to abandon that idea. If it's enough of an issue, I suppose I could still go back to the timer idea, but I have a feeling that if I wait until the BG1 NPC npcs have all had a shot at commentary, I'll just be answering bug reports about why Gavin never comments on something as important as Gorion's letter.

Maybe I should clarify that: the letter is part of vanilla BG1. The fact that it is read aloud is introduced by BG1 NPC. I cannot assume the letter will be read aloud. Attempts at setting the timer have not gone well, as that is a notoriously busy area for interjections, etc. There's a lot of dialogue going on, and script doesn't run when that is happening. So it might be a good long time before Gavin's script ever gets around to setting that timer. If the party leaves the area before that happens (likely) it could never happen. That caused a lot of problems with LT 25 never firing.

When it comes to that, I just can't win.

Archived