Discussion: BG2 Kit Creation Series

Here is just my own observation, though it would be probably better to post it at PPG forums. I noticed that the following with respect to spells doesn't necessary add the descriptions:

SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~Unidentified Description~ // unidentified description for items, spell description for spells

SAY DESC ~Identified Description~ // identified description for items, unused for spells

If you look into NI then after compiling this part you would see something like this:

Unknown - Offset 0x42 - 00 00

Unknown - Offset 0x44 - 00 00 72 62 00 00 55 6e

Unknown - Offset 0x4c - 00 00 00 00

Description - Offset 0x50 - No such index (-1)

Unknown - Offset 0x54 - 63 40 01 00

Unknown - Offset 0x58 - 00 00 69 66 65 64 69 74

Unknown - Offset 0x60 - 00 00 00 00

I think SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC should extract offesets 0x42 - 0x4c, and SAY DESC - 0x50 - 0x60

This is all because someone has assumed that the structure of ITM ans SPL is identical while in my humble opinion it is not. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Vlad

You're wrong. The unIDed description offset is 0x50 (4 bytes) the IDed description offset is 0x54 (also 4 bytes). Spells and items are the same. Although spells don't actually require IDed names or descriptions, Cam has an er... (insert nice word for "anal" here) side.

I followed the instructions for creating a kit, editing all the files listed manually (I thought it would be easier than using WeiDU). Everything is working fine save that my character with the kit can't put proficiency blips in weapons at char creation and level up. I dont know if I have missed something or stuffed something up somewhere. Please help?

Did you add a column for your kit in WEAPPROF.2da?

YCam has an er... (insert nice word for "anal" here) side.

Hehe. Yeah, that's definitely a page from Anal Retentive Modding.

Well, then first I am going to report this to Jon. Second, what are the offsets 0x44 and 0x58? Third, I still cannot get the description of the spell in my game whilst spell itself is installed without any problem:

COPY ~NeJ2/spl/SPWI527.SPL~ ~override/SPWI527.SPL~
 SAY NAME1 ~Xan's Eye Bite~
 SAY NAME2 ~Xan's Eye Bite~
 SAY DESC ~Xan's Eye Bite (Enchantment/Charm)...~

Do you see any problem in this code?

[EDIT] I am not talking about kits. This is just about spells.

Edited by Vlad

That's what Idobek is talking about--spells actually use the unidentified description slot as the one that appears in game. (It's actually better described as general rather than unidentified, but oh well.) The descripts would work with this:

SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~Xan's Eye Bite (Enchantment/Charm)...~

edit: Idobek types faster. :rolleyes:

SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~Xan's Eye Bite (Enchantment/Charm)...~

Thanks, it looks promising because what I have noticed that ALL original spells have the offset 0x54:

7f 96 98 00

Then in my opinion it cannot be "the IDed description offset is 0x54 (also 4 bytes)". If I use DESC than it is really written into 0x54 (4 bytes).

[EDIT] Also there are only a few values appearing at offsets 0x44 and 0x58 which might be evaluated then by changing them.

Edited by Vlad
Thanks, it looks promising because what I have noticed that ALL original spells have the offset 0x54:

7f 96 98 00

Then in my opinion it cannot be "the IDed description offset is 0x54 (also 4 bytes)".

It doesn't matter in the slightest what is there--the offset isn't used in spells. A lot of files have junk in them.
If I use DESC than it is really written into 0x54 (4 bytes).
As it is supposed to, yes.
Also there are only a few values appearing at offsets 0x44 and 0x58 which might be evaluated then by changing them.
Possibly yes, but that discussion belongs in the IESDP forum.

If I can chime in here... AFAIK, the Druidic Sorcerer doesn't replace the sorcerer, but changes the druid kit's class to sorcerer via a script. You can still play a regular sorcerer, you only have to use the same HLA table for both regular and "kitted" sorcerers.

The thing is, you'll have to start with a kit under some other class, so you'll end up with some features of the original class.

Edited by Sovran

Hi all, I have read the BG2 Kit Creation Series (great info Cam, thanks for the time spent writting the threads), and I am a bit frustrated now that I know abit more about the engine limitations.

I wanted to create a new Cleric kit, stronger than the average cleric in the offensive side (perhaps not as powerful as a dual Fighter/Cleric), but lacking in the defense. It would be roughly as follows...:

- Can attain grandmastery in Staffs

- Can attain specialization in Mace, Flail/Morningstar, Warhammer

- Bonus dmg/to hit at certain levels

- Learn special attacks/moves/abilities with the staff at certain levels

- Can cast cleric spells (might need selection)

- Can wear only robes

The kit would include custom robes and staffs.

I've been toying with WeiDU a bit, and I'm not sure if this is possible. I can create the kit with Cleric as its parent class, but my number of attacks/round never go above 1 with the staff (no clue why btw), even with grandmastery. Also due the usability flags limitation, I have to use the mage flag to restrict him to robes... which means that I won't be able to use cleric-only items... and what is worse, I might be able to use a lot of mage-only stuff.

I wonder if I can overcome these limitations and create the kit, or I am stuck with the mentioned problems. Sorry if I sound like a newbie with these questions, but it's the first time I try to create something of my own... and well, I am a newbie after all.

First, thanks for the kind words, and welcome to modding. :)

For the questions, it's mainly no. The engine is hardcoded to only grant the extra number of attacks from proficiencies to fighter classes--swashbucklers never get their extra half attack for two stars, for example. AFAIK, this is hardcoded. (I should probably add it to the tutorial too, since it's something that I see a fair bit in kitmaking.)

As for the distinct usabilities, you're kinda stuck unless you implement a hacky workaround. You'd need to do something like making mage robes available to clerics, and then take one of the other kit unusability flags for your new kit. I use this trick in SPC, for example, to allow the Arcane Fist to use robes. I change Undead Hunters to use the same items as regular paladins (since there's no difference in the game) and then use the free flag to implement new restrictions.

It's very hacky and unsatisfying. It has the additional drawback of still not being perfect (regular clerics would be able to use mage robes, unless you added even more hacks). It also has a lot of compatibility issues--other mods may try to use the same flag, or you'll mess up any mod items/kits/etc. that may use the unusability flag you just borrowed.

About the attacks per round: the engine will give you the bonuses for level / specialization only if you are a Fighter/Ranger/Paladin/Barbarian, so tough chance. You can always increase the Attacks per Round with spells.

If you want to forbid armour only, try to add the shapeshifer's flag to your kit item restrictions.

EDIT: CamDawg was faster, I removed all redundant information.

Edited by the bigg

Damn :)

I was thinking that maybe I could use the cleric flag, and prevent the character to use any other armor than his custom robes via script (if it's possible and I learn to do so, heh).

About the attacks/round, it is a problem. I should make it a fighter kit then, but that is bad for consistency.

;)

I'll meditate about it in bed. Good nights all.

EDIT: and the bigg was faster than me.

Can shapeshifters use robes?

If they do, it might be a workaround. Ill check it tomorrow.

Edited by -JW-