Brainstorm Request - Inspiration for Friendtalks

cmorgan

OK, I have set up 12 friendtalks that are light in mood and discussion, working within FR, and set up as the fun sort of trail talk. I have 5 Underdark talks that focus on the feelings engendered by being underground. But for both SoA and Tob content, I am puzzling over how to do something fresh, new, and fun with a few more talks, this time more directed and personal.

Except -

I don't want to cover the same old territory, done well in other mods. things like "Hey, how do you feel about me?" "What was it like in Candlekeep?", "Gorion was a cool dude, wasn't he?"

What I want to have some fun with is showing more friendly intimacy like a long-term comapnion and friend would, on topics that are less discussed.

I'll take any brainstorms possible, and will post with my own tomorrow. But here is your chance to suggest something you always wished an NPC wuld bring up with your PC.

Pros and cons of the various taverns of Athkatla. Favorite ale.

Economics of adventuring and speculations on a certain Ribald.

Mudslinging on the pompous breed called Cowled Enforcers.

Metaphysical speculations on colliding afterlives (are there multiple conflicting views on afterlife in FR? Can't remember.)

Heh. Keep a resurrection counter, if possible? "Back again. Ouch. Doesn't get any easier."

"Played cards against an ogre once. Bet a friend and lost."

War stories about summoning saving/ruining the day properly.

"First time I ever saw a golem/xvart/wolf I ..."

Cooking.

Theatre, perhaps? (In reference to the Bard stronghold, if applicable.)

Gossip about other companions. Oh, yes.

Women.

Men.

Theology. Politics, relating back to quests and plotlines.

Literature. Language.

Music. Song. Dance.

Festivals. Holidays. Where did the weekend go?

"My kingdom for a horse." Complaints of walking. Everywhere.

Complaints in general, or of being in a party. This party.

The weather. People do talk about the weather, it's true.

A Wizard Did It!

The relative benefits and drawbacks of wearing a codpiece.

Benefits:

- Protection.

- Mystery and allure.

- Equals the playing field. (So to speak.)

- Increases sense of... brotherhood?

- And of course, stylishness.

Drawbacks:

- A bit stifling.

- Air flow.

- Comfort.

- Mobility.

- And of course, accessibility.

If you had three wishes, what would they be? ;)

[EDIT] Oh, and sex.

OK, you folks are already doing better than me.

I could only come up with

• When was the last time we all had a nice night out and relaxed?
  • Hey, how's your sister? Mine has herself all tangled up in Neverwinter politics...
    -subtalk: our sisters and their suitors
    -subtalk: the meanest thing my little sister ever did was...
    -subtalk: why is it that a revealing set of armor is awesome when it is on someone else, but when it is on my sister it makes me very angry (perhaps crossmod or recognition of Imoen Romance?)
  • Life in a mercenary company
    -subtalk: what is it like in the Flaming Fist? What about in the Moonshea Axes?
    -subtalk: genetic family vs company of comerades - what kind of a "family" have we got here?
  • Forget the whole settling down kind of thing - if we could do anything, what would we do right now? Take over a country? Infiltate Zhentil Keep? Take over Thay and rule it with an Iron Whip and Velvet Chain? Go home and start a nice little bakery that sells the softest buttery-est croissants this side of Evermeet?

Time for some brainstorming on your brainstorming!

And just for Miloch, heh...

~[ARAN] I had a lad in th' 'Fist who told some tall tales, an' weren't ashamed to stretch truth farther than most. Once he claimed to have has a contract wi' some gnomish king under th' Crystalmist Mountains, an' someone called him on it.~

++ [PC] I have never heard of the Crytstalmist Mountains. ~[ARAN] Right fine pile o' rocks, home to a few odd humanoid races, includin' a large kingdom o' Svirfneblin.

++ [PC] Are you sure this 'lad' wasn't you? ~[ARAN] Now, that was a right cheap shot, eh? No, I know enough not to talk too far off o' th' truth. Most times. When I be sober.

++ [PC] What did he say?

++ [PC] Hey. Rock Gnomes don't live under the Crystalmist range... Svirfneblin do. ~ [ARAN] Good on you. That be th' reason we called him on it. Not many have seen 'em, let alone worked for 'em.

~[ARAN] Well, th' lad claimed that one o' th' tests o' initiation for service was drinkin' some blood-red concoction called Gogondy.

++ [PC] Don't Svirfneblin work with the Drow? ~[ARAN] Hells, what kind o' crap filled those books o' yours in Candlekeep? Those two be bitter enemies, an' competitors! Drow go for Shar, an' Svirfies worship Glittergold, mostly. You might as well say I kiss a drow a day!

++ [PC] Ah, I knew this would come down to a drinking story.

+ IF GNOME/DWARF + [PC] I have had Gogondy. Good stuff. ~[ARAN] I be takin' you at your word. One good swig o' that rusty drink has put a man out for decades, or killed 'em outright.

+ IF NOT GNOME/DWARF + [PC] I have had Gogondy. Good stuff. ~[ARAN] Th' hells you have. One good swig o' that rusty drink has put a man out for decades, or killed 'em outright. Shortaxes can handle it, an Sverfies, but not many other folks.

~[ARAN] To make a long story short, th' lad did some research an' found out th' drink would probably kill him or put him out for a couple o' years, him bein' human wi' no shortaxe bloodline in his family. He sweated a mite bit, but finally came up wi' a cunnin' plan.

++ [PC] Is there any other sort of plan? ~[ARAN] Always th' wisearse, eh?

++ [PC] Let me guess... he left quickly, with everything he could steal?

++ [PC] If this story is about him stealing magic beans and growing a big beanstalk... ~[ARAN] Dear gods alive, those books in Candlekeep really were created by scholars what never stuck their nose out o' th' door, eh? Everyone knows that story be "Jackie an' her Fire Giants". Will you let me tell th' blighted story, or what?

++ [PC] What did he decide to do?

++ [PC] Pity this isn't a story about a scribe or sage. Then you could work in something about 'cunning linguist'. ~[ARAN] You have a dirty mind. An' a slow one... that wordplay be over 200 years old, an' it weren't funny then, neither.

~[ARAN] Bein' an enterprisin' sort, he traded wi ' one o' th' Svirfneblin recruits. Svirfies love Gogondy more than life itself. So he bonded a favor for th' illusion, an' the Svirfy recruit cast a bit o' illusion an' then drank it hisself.

++ [PC] That worked? I would think the gnomes would have detected the ruse.

++ [PC] So he got into the contract under false pretenses. Not bad. I would have just drank the stuff.

++ [PC] Tricky. I like it. What was the penalty?

++ [PC] That is really stupid. For all he knew, the daily ration would include this drink... what would he do if that turned out to be true?

~[ARAN] Th' ruse worked well enough, though they caust on right away. He got in immediate, on account o' th' deep folk enjoyin' a good bit o' illusion an' trickery, an' most o' all because th' trick were on my lad. See, th' 'favor' turned ot to be this Svirfie's sister needed a husband. Apparently she were so tall an' gawky for a Svirfie that no one had come callin'.

= ~[ARAN] Hearin' that finish to th' story, we had a good laugh at my lad, on account o' there be no way that could be true. We was laughin' up a storm, when in walks a shortaxe lass, no beard, a little short, gnarled, ugly as sin... grabs my lad by th' belt, an' pulls him towards th' door.~

= ~[ARAN] 'Sorry boys', he calls out as he gets pulled through th' door; 'apparently, I have matrimonial duties. Anybody got some Gogondy?

EDIT: ok, not a freiendtalk - a locker-room or boyz-night-out story. So we probably need the chance for a female PC of gnomish or dwarvish origin to respond - hmmm. OK, how about this:

on its way...

An hour of fun diversion and follow-through - try this.

/* Gog Story */

IF ~~ story_start
 SAY ~[ARAN] I had a lad in th' 'Fist who told some tall tales, an' weren't ashamed to stretch truth farther than most. Once he claimed to have has a contract wi' some gnomish king under th' Crystalmist Mountains, an' someone called him on it.~
 ++ ~[PC] I have never heard of the Crytstalmist Mountains.~ + sidetalk_one
 ++ ~[PC] Are you sure this 'lad' wasn't you?~ + sidetalk_two
 ++ ~[PC] What did he say?~ + story_continues
 ++ ~[PC] Hey. Rock Gnomes don't live under the Crystalmist range... Svirfneblin do.~ + sidetalk_three
 ++ ~[PC] I think this 'lad' has already pushed it too far. Most humanoid tribes don't hire outsiders, do they?~ + sidetalk_three
END 

IF ~~ sidetalk_one
 SAY ~[ARAN] Right fine pile o' rocks, home to a few odd humanoid races, includin' a large kingdom o' Svirfneblin.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO story_continues
END

IF ~~ sidetalk_two
 SAY ~[ARAN]  Now, that was a right cheap shot, eh? No, I know enough not to talk too far off o' th' truth. Most times. When I be sober.~
END

IF ~~ sidetalk_three
 SAY ~[ARAN] Good on you. That be th' reason we called him on it. Not many have seen 'em, let alone worked for 'em.~
END

IF ~~ story_continues
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, th' lad claimed that one o' th' tests o' initiation for service wi' th' Svirfneblin was drinkin' some blood-red concoction called Gogondy.~
 ++ ~[PC] Don't Svirfneblin work with the Drow?~ + sidetalk_wrong
 ++ ~[PC] Ah, I knew this would come down to a drinking story.~ + story_almost_done
 + ~OR(2) Race(Player1,GNOME) Race(Player1,DWARF)~ + ~[PC] I have had Gogondy. Good stuff.~ + sidetalk_four
 + ~!Race(Player1,GNOME) !Race(Player1,DWARF)~ + ~[PC] I have had Gogondy. Good stuff.~ + sidetalk_five
END

IF ~~ sidetalk_wrong
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hells, what kind o' crap filled those books o' yours in Candlekeep? Those two be bitter enemies, an' competitors! Drow go for Shar, an' Svirfies worship Glittergold, mostly. You might as well say I kiss a Drow a day!~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO story_almost_done
END

IF ~~ sidetalk_four
 SAY ~[ARAN] I be takin' you at your word. One good swig o' that rusty drink has put a man out for decades, or killed 'em outright. I like a good stiff drink, but I don't have no deathwish.~
END

IF ~~ sidetalk_five
 SAY ~[ARAN] Th' hells you have. One good swig o' that rusty drink has put a man out for decades, or killed 'em outright. Shortaxes can handle it, an' Sverfies, but not many other folks.~
END

IF ~~ story_almost_done
 SAY ~[ARAN] To make a long story short, th' lad did some research an' found out th' drink would probably kill him or put him out for a couple o' years, him bein' human wi' no shortaxe bloodline in his family. He sweated a mite bit, but finally came up wi' a cunnin' plan.~
 ++ ~[PC] Is there any other sort of plan?~ + sidetalk_six 
 ++ ~[PC] Let me guess... he left quickly, with everything he could steal?~ + story_is_over
 ++ ~[PC] If this story is about him stealing magic beans and growing a big beanstalk...~ + sidetalk_seven
 ++ ~[PC] What did he decide to do?~ + story_is_over
 ++ ~[PC] Pity this isn't a story about a scribe or sage. Then you could work in something about 'cunning linguist'.~ + sidetalk_eight
END

IF ~~ sidetalk_six
 SAY ~[ARAN] Always th' wisearse, eh?~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO story_is_over
END

IF ~~ sidetalk_seven
 SAY ~[ARAN] Dear gods alive, those books in Candlekeep really were created by scholars what never stuck their nose out o' th' door, eh? Everyone knows that story be "Jackie an' her Fire Giants". Will you let me tell th' blighted story, or what?~
END

IF ~~ sidetalk_eight
 SAY ~[ARAN] You have a dirty mind. An' a slow one... that wordplay be over 200 years old, an' it weren't funny then, neither.~
END

IF ~~ story_is_over
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bein' an enterprisin' sort, he traded wi ' one o' th' Svirfneblin recruits. Svirfies love Gogondy more than life itself. So he bonded a favor for th' illusion, an' the Svirfy recruit cast a bit o' illusion an' then drank it hisself.~
 ++ ~[PC] That worked? I would think the gnomes would have detected the ruse.~ + start_the_punchline
 ++ ~[PC] So he got into the contract under false pretenses. Not bad. I would have just drank the stuff.~ + start_the_punchline
 ++ ~[PC] Tricky. I like it. What was the penalty?~ + start_the_punchline
 ++ ~[PC] That is really stupid. For all he knew, the daily ration would include this drink... what would he do if that turned out to be true?~ + start_the_punchline
 + ~Class(Player2,THIEF_ALL) !Name("c-aran",Player2)~ + ~[PC] This has to be you. No one else would do something so risky. Except perhaps <PLAYER2>, after a lot of drink.... on second thought, nope. Just you.~ + start_the_punchline
 + ~Class(Player3,THIEF_ALL) !Name("c-aran",Player3)~ + ~[PC] This has to be you. No one else would do something so risky. Except perhaps <PLAYER3>, after a lot of drink.... on second thought, nope. Just you.~ + start_the_punchline
 + ~Class(Player4,THIEF_ALL) !Name("c-aran",Player4)~ + ~[PC] This has to be you. No one else would do something so risky. Except perhaps <PLAYER4>, after a lot of drink.... on second thought, nope. Just you.~ + start_the_punchline
 + ~Class(Player5,THIEF_ALL) !Name("c-aran",Player5)~ + ~[PC] This has to be you. No one else would do something so risky. Except perhaps <PLAYER5>, after a lot of drink.... on second thought, nope. Just you.~ + start_the_punchline
 + ~Class(Player6,THIEF_ALL) !Name("c-aran",Player6)~ + ~[PC] This has to be you. No one else would do something so risky. Except perhaps <PLAYER6>, after a lot of drink.... on second thought, nope. Just you.~ + start_the_punchline
END

IF ~~ start_the_punchline
 SAY ~[ARAN] Th' ruse worked well enough, though they caught on right away. He got in immediate, on account o' th' deep folk enjoyin' a good bit o' illusion an' trickery, an' most o' all because th' trick were on my lad. See, th' 'favor' turned out to be this Svirfie's sister needed a husband. Apparently she were so tall an' gawky for a Svirfie that no one had come callin'.~ 
 = ~[ARAN] Hearin' that finish to th' story, we had a good laugh at my lad, on account o' there be no way that could be true. We was laughin' up a storm, when in walks a shortaxe lass, no beard, a little short, gnarled, ugly as sin... grabs my lad by th' belt, an' pulls him towards th' door.~
 = ~[ARAN] 'Sorry boys', he calls out as he gets pulled through th' door; 'Apparently, I have matrimonial duties. Anybody got some Gogondy?'~
 IF ~!Race(Player1,GNOME) !Race(Player1,DWARF) !Race(Player1,HALFLING)~ THEN EXIT
 IF ~OR(3) Race(Player1,GNOME) Race(Player1,DWARF) Race(Player1,HALFLING)~ THEN GOTO story_fallout_short_races
END

IF ~~ story_fallout_short_races
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, do you be lookin' a mite red on account o' th' story bein' funny, or on account o' somethin' else...~
 ++ ~[PC] ..laughing... ..let me get my breath... ~ EXIT 
 +  ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] Mildly amusing. Though I don't see how any of us 'shortaxes' as you call us could ever find a human worthy of marriage. You humans are all too tall, to stupid, and you smell funny.~ EXIT
 +  ~Gender(Player1,MALE)~ + ~[PC] Not bad, for a stupid joke. It is a bit less funny for us <PRO_RACE>s, though. No self-respecting 'shortaxe' would let his sister marry a human. You are all too tall, to stupid, and you smell funny.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I get it. I just would tell it with an Elf as the butt of the joke.~ EXIT 
 ++ ~[PC] The joke is on him. Or on you. Rumor is, Svirfneblin women can craft a man hard as stone, and keep him there for days. Why do you think the delvers drink so much?~ EXIT 
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, I enjoy mysogynistic racist jokes, really I do. Have you heard the one about the human male who told jokes? He laughed so hard that he lost his head...~ + story_fallout_threat
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] So... being intimate with a 'short' race is a joke? It is so horrible that a human would rather face death or unconsciousness than sharing a marriage bed?~ + story_fallout_threat
END

IF ~~ story_fallout_threat
 SAY ~[ARAN] Whoa there, hey! My apologies! I was just tellin' a fun story, an' didn't mean nothin' offensive. I'll be watchin' my manners better.~
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) Race(Player1,DWARF)~ + ~[PC] Oh, it can't just be a story. Why is it so hard to believe that a human and a member of the delving races would be romantically involved? We Dwarves can bring strength, ferocity, and cunning into the bedroom. Why do you think male Dwarves grow their beards so long? It serves to hide our constant effect on them.~ EXIT
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) Race(Player1,HALFLING)~ + ~[PC] Oh, it can't just be a story. Why is it so hard to believe that a human and a member of the 'short' races would be romantically involved? Halflings are very family oriented, and we have ways of making sure our men are so happy the very hair on their toes curls.~ + hem_and_haw
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) Race(Player1,GNOME)~ + ~[PC] Oh, it can't just be a story. Why is it so hard to believe that a human and a member of the delving races would be romantically involved? A good follower of Denir builds a large and industrious family. That would imply we know how to make men very, very happy.~ + hem_and_haw
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) GlobalGT("c-aransex","GLOBAL",0) GlobalLT("c-aransex","GLOBAL",4)~ + ~[PC]  Oh, it can't just be a story. You have already pretended to put up with me, with your physical attention. So this must be about me, and how I am not attractive to you.~ + fallout_angry_woman
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) GlobalGT("c-aransex","GLOBAL",4)~ + ~[PC]  Oh, it can't just be a story. You dare to share my bed, and then tell me a story like that?~ + fallout_angry_woman
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] Apology accepted. Next time, think before you tell me a story.~ EXIT
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] I... I really don't like stories like that. Please don't tell me anything like it again.~ EXIT
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] Apology accepted... for now. You can atone for your silliness by coming up with a really good joke about human males some other time.~ EXIT 
 IF ~Gender(Player1,MALE)~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ hem_and_haw
 SAY ~[ARAN]  I.. Sune's Randy Rump, I didn't mean nothin'. I certainly didn't mean to say anythin' to offend you at all. I just open my mouth on account o' I have to change th' foot I put in it. I'm right sorry.~
 + ~Race(Player1,DWARF)~ + ~[PC] You had better be. With an attitude like that, you may never get to find exactly how well a dwarven woman can craft your pleasure.~ EXIT
 + ~Race(Player1,HALFLING)~ + ~[PC] You had better be... shutting off an entire race is not in your romantic interests. The right halfling woman, properly motivated, can not only curl your toes - she can grow hair on them.~ EXIT
 + ~Race(Player1,GNOME)~ + ~[PC] Oh, you just will never know what you are missing. The things we gnomes can do, when we want to be entertaining... you probably would not live through the experience. It would take a real man, and you human males sped all that energy growing taller, instead of focusing that vitality where it really matters.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Apology accepted. Next time, think before you tell me a story.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I... I really don't like stories like that. Please don't tell me anything like it again.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] You should see your face... Don't worry, Aran. I thought the story was funny. I just wanted to see how scared I could get you!~ EXIT 
 ++ ~[PC] Why don't you take a little walk, and stay away from me for awhile, whuile I cool down a little.~ EXIT
END

++ ~[PC] I have never heard of the Crystalmist Mountains.~ + sidetalk_one

SAY ~[ARAN] Th' hells you have. One good swig o' that rusty drink has put a man out for decades, or killed 'em outright. Shortaxes can handle it, an' Svirfies, but not many other folks.~

++ ~[PC] Why don't you take a little walk, and stay away from me for awhile, while I cool down a little.~ EXIT

++ ~[PC] Pity this isn't a story about a scribe or sage. Then you could work in something about 'cunning linguist'.~ + sidetalk_eight

Guess I'm slow too, I just barely got that joke after several years of seeing it. ;)

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) Race(Player1,DWARF)~ + ~[PC] Oh, it can't just be a story. Why is it so hard to believe that a human and a member of the delving races would be romantically involved? We Dwarves can bring strength, ferocity, and cunning into the bedroom. Why do you think male Dwarves grow their beards so long? It serves to hide our constant effect on them.~ EXIT

This needs to go to hem_and_haw instead of just exiting.

Heh. Nice.

Svirfies worship Glittergold, mostly.
Callarduran, mostly.
for awhile, whuile
"for a bit, while" is perhaps better.

Do you capitalise races and generic items? I thought the BG1 NPC "style guide" or whatever says to lowercase them (elf, svirfneblin, etc.). Anyway, that's what I've done - I also consider "gogondy" a generic drink like "brandy" or "whiskey" unless it's a specific brand (e.g. Harfurthock's Best Granite-Strength Gogondy).

The talk about not believing the PC has quaffed gogondy might seem a bit strange if he/she actually *has* - particularly in Aran's presence. Maybe I could set a variable or something when this happens (opcode #265, if that works). Otherwise, it's at least possible to detect the presence of gogondy via the item names (agpotn03 and agpotn04).

(And did you pay some folks off for an avid supply of proofreaders or something, when there's modders practically begging for them in the request subforums, requests that fall mainly on deaf ears? ;))

Fixing - thank you! Typos, mis-capitalization, Callarduran, hem_and_haw, "for a bit, while";

on the detecting agpotn03 and agpotn04, I will go prospecting, too - we can add crossmod about this kind of thing later, but it would be cool to do both. If Aurora warns of the drink, or if anything set a var anywhere that I can slide in, I will try to find it. The crossmod stuff would be better.

As for proofreaders, I chalk the incredibly cool and wonderful help to #1 my hideous typing and spelling, #2 my slow pace (so folks want to make me move along faster), and #3 my posting almost everything out in the open, bad code/ideas/failures along with the good - so folks know that I actually really want all sorts of help and feedback (and that when they make a suggestion, I try to build it or some version of it into the mod, which appeals to my sense of fun in figuring out how). But mostly, it is the massive number of teleflora orders and bottles of scotch I keep promising and never delivering ;)

If Aurora warns of the drink, or if anything set a var anywhere that I can slide in, I will try to find it. The crossmod stuff would be better.
I didn't see a variable though it would be easy to add one, somewhere around here in agtomtha.d
@117 /* ~Let's celebrate this with a toast of gogondy. This is something few non-svirfneblin have ever clapped their lips on, but you've earned the right to taste it. Don't worry, this is the watered-down version. You couldn't handle the real stuff, heh heh.~ */

IF ~~ DO ~GiveItemCreate("agpotn04",LastTalkedToBy(),1,0,0)~ + ag_tom_store5 END

The party can also

pick his pocket for the "real stuff" which might actually kill them, or have some pretty nasty consequences anyway

. So since that's not referred to in dialogue or anything, I'd have to slip a variable into the actual item or its triggered script.

But mostly, it is the massive number of teleflora orders and bottles of scotch I keep promising and never delivering ;)

I'm reminded of the online flower shop in Jagged Alliance II. Beware the crushed bouquet of black roses ... ;)

In the market for some good single malt, most definitely. My Glenlivet 1980 is almost gone.

erik, I have been trying to think of how I could get that merc life insurance policy to work - we have plenty of Bobby Ray's equivalents, but

[sidebar]Have you seen the new JA2 inventory system and action points implementation? I am going to have to get that running again this summer, and check it out. Way cool modding stuff. [/sidebar]

Archived