List of NPCs to support

Quester

There is an optional component of L1NPCs that lets you change references to the NPC's profession, within certain boundaries. It helps if I know the dialog files where such is referenced but if that info isn't immediately at hand, I can run some sort of arcane grep in some code I've forgotten how to execute, let alone write (*grumbles in orcish*).

It's more a conceptual matter, really, than a text-string matter: Hubelpot's references to his background as a farmer or druid are going to be a bit off if they're changed to "When I was a thief in my little town" or "I gave up work as a fighter to..." as are character reactions.

Again, though, I have no problem with L1NPC adding him. Anyone who adds it has to know it's going to make for some conceptual oddities every now and again for any NPC so altered.

Anyone who adds it has to know it's going to make for some conceptual oddities every now and again for any NPC so altered.
Aye, anyone who changes him to something stupid is going to have to live with their own stupid choice. I think it even says that in the documentation:
Q: Yeah, but I turned Kagain and Korgan into paladins with your mod, and it was stupid.

A: I bet. Don't do that. I can't tell where you draw the line, so you will have to make your own choices.

But the other thing (often overlooked) is you don't need to change an NPC's class or even kit at all, but still install the component that tweaks them (to adjust proficiencies, stats, etc.).

It's more a conceptual matter, really, than a text-string matter: Hubelpot's references to his background as a farmer or druid are going to be a bit off if they're changed to "When I was a thief in my little town" or "I gave up work as a fighter to..." as are character reactions.

Again, though, I have no problem with L1NPC adding him. Anyone who adds it has to know it's going to make for some conceptual oddities every now and again for any NPC so altered.

I can't say that I speak for all Lvl1NPC users, but I believe most of us do not use the mod to do stupid things like make Montaron a monk with 18/00 strength or turn Keldorn into an assassin. At least for me, it's more about getting things exactly as you, the player, think they should be, while still staying very close to the original character. For example, turning Minsc into a berserker and deciding for yourself which his favorite weapons are. Things like that.

Edit: Oh, Miloch posted while I was writing. :)

It seems I can no longer edit the post containing the list? It worked once yesterday, but not since then. What gives?

Incidentally, does anyone know what's going on with the CoM forums? I get a 'malicious website' warning from my browser when I try to go there, it's been like that for a couple of days now.

The forum software is buggy. You weren't able to edit your own post even before they upgraded it and I doubt the upgrade fixed that. (Or rather, you could only edit it if you were lucky because it tracks IP addresses or something.) Edit: that seems to be exactly the case, because your last post has a different IP than the previous ones, so you were able to edit it before that. Silly - it should match user ID not IP address.

I can probably edit it with barbarian admin power if you want to post changes.

Dunno what's up with CoM - I get this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@forums.chosenofmystra.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

Hope they're not trying to migrate to IP.Board 3.2.3 or something...

Indeed, Level1NPCs isn't going to turn your NPCs into weaklings. :) The mod allows the player to customize their playing experience with both default and many mod NPCs in a variety of ways. The reason for its name is simply that it sets the NPCs' lvl to 1, but keeps their xp so you will have a chance to choose their proficiencies, skills and spells yourself when they join you. You can also, optionally, choose to adjust their starting class, kit, proficiencies etc. It's all good.

@CoM_Solaufein: Okay then.

@Miloch: You could edit it, perhaps, but it's going to be an ongoing thing since it was meant to be edited as permissions were given or denied. If you want, feel free to set Ninafer and Callisto as denied (use red), and Kitanya as pending.

If anyone knows a better way to get in touch with a mod author than to post on their forum, please feel free to do so and point them to this thread. Since some of these mod authors haven't been seen for years, posting on their forum probably isn't going to yield results any time soon.

Yes Dakk, I've seen it, but I am neither the coder of these changes nor even able to edit my own list anymore. :)

So Miloch, please make sure to add those to the list as well!

I know :) I just wanted to make the list (it's like going out clubbing!) ;)

Archived