Thoughts on modding bard songs

subtledoctor

I'm away from my computer, which means I can only muse and plan until the next time I can actually mod. Can't mod and can't try stuff in NI etc. All I can do is read the IESDP and hang out here. So I might as well bug people in the Q&A forum...

Okay: so I would like to a) have a bard song that lingers for a few rounds after you start swinging a weapon; b) have the song end immediately if you cast a spell; and c) in either case, it should trigger the 'disable button' opcode 144 to stop you re-initiating the song, and trigger the 'change bard song' opcode 251 to change your song to something useless so it can't be re-initiated by scripts.

(There will be a separate ability to re-enable your bard song - one of various songs - with a bit of a casting time... sort of tuning your instrument before playing the new song.)

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking, use whatever method is used for the 'Lingering Song' HLA (from RR?) or the SoD bard hat, to handle the 5-round linger into melee. But how to make it trigger opcodes 144 and 251? Maybe have them be in a spell cast by the bard song itself, at t=32, and have a 206 effect in the song lasting 4 seconds at t=1...?

Spellcasting should be easier, theoretically I can just patch all wizard spells to add an .eff targeting bards which triggers the 144 and 251 effects, and which stops the song immediately.

Would that work? How would you all do this sort of thing?

Archived