Baldur1 Dialogues for Continuos Characters

Roxanne

Maybe the problem is that i didn't finish BG1 with SoD installed. When i start SoD manually, then i'm in the dungeon. So i guess when you kill Sarevok in BG1 there's default cutscene in palace?

When you play without EET, there are no transitions. You finish BG1, you see end movie + credits, you see SoD intro movie. Then you have to import your game in SoD or start new or whatever your choice is.You only get seamless transfers between the game parts when EET will be released and you mod your game with it.

Maybe the problem is that i didn't finish BG1 with SoD installed. When i start SoD manually, then i'm in the dungeon. So i guess when you kill Sarevok in BG1 there's default cutscene in palace?

When you play without EET, there are no transitions. You finish BG1, you see end movie + credits, you see SoD intro movie. Then you have to import your game in SoD or start new or whatever your choice is.You only get seamless transfers between the game parts when EET will be released and you mod your game with it.

actually vanilla SoD works sort of like ToB. The party is moved automatically to Tomb dungeon via MoveToCampaign action. This hasn't been changed in EET. And to answer Etamin's question - yes, you see Sarevok end movie, than see SoD introduction movie (which mentions that few weeks have passed) and than you are in the SoD tomb where you are imminently explained why you are there (it's wrap up of Sarevok plot). Than you continue with the main SoD plot up to the end where BG2 transitions starts.

The party is moved automatically to Tomb dungeon via MoveToCampaign action.

So how much of the off chapter work have you done to clear out the maps the player will be able to visit in the maps during later stages of the game ?

Aka if I start a new game from ToB, and want to visit BG and somehow make it there, will I still run into say lazy boy Ragefast at the top of his house with the IMPrisoned Abela the Nymph, and get to deal with the situation(4) ?

The BGT-weidu didn't need to do this... it will be extremely tricky.

Aka if I start a new game from ToB, and want to visit BG and somehow make it there, will I still run into say lazy boy Ragefast at the top of his house with the IMPrisoned Abela the Nymph, and get to deal with the situation(4) ?

You can't go back to BG1 areas if you start your game from BG2 and can't go back to BG1 and BG2 areas if you start from ToB. You open up links between areas as you progress the story, so if you skipped whole part of the journey than you can't magically make the game think that you did finish it. If you want to have full experience with all areas visitable during whole game than you have to play from BG1 up to the end.

Some people may be interested in shorter playthrough so they can start later, for example from SoA. In such case you can go back to SoA from ToB because you opened the links as you progressed, but there will be no way to travel to BG1 as you have never been there and links connecting those areas with BG2 have not been initiated.

The world state is shaped as you play, so no cleaning is needed. Any other solution would be a mess.

This hasn't been changed in EET. And to answer Etamin's question - yes, you see Sarevok end movie, than see SoD introduction movie (which mentions that few weeks have passed) and than you are in the SoD tomb where you are imminently explained why you are there (it's wrap up of Sarevok plot). Than you continue with the main SoD plot up to the end where BG2 transitions starts.

So here's my question - do you plan to change it? Like i said, it would be great if after end movie will begin new quest "Return to palace and inform Council of Four about Sarevok death". Then there would be cut scene in castle like in BGT, after which Belt would inform you about few Sarevok followers still alive and ask you to investigate it. Then you would be moved to the dungeon (or maybe even walk there by yourself).

So here's my question - do you plan to change it? Like i said, it would be great if after end movie will begin new quest "Return to palace and inform Council of Four about Sarevok death". Then there would be cut scene in castle like in BGT, after which Belt would inform you about few Sarevok followers still alive and ask you to investigate it. Then you would be moved to the dungeon (or maybe even walk there by yourself).

The introduction movie and whole SoD prologue does good enough job from continuity perspective to me. If you want more plot there I'd suggest letting Beamdog devs know about your idea. If it will be implemented officially than it will be also available in EET. You could also ask elminster if he is planning for something like this in Eve of War mod. Adding content like this would be an interpretation on our part and things like that should be left for external mods, imo. It would also create potential compatibility problems for mods that affects BG1 end content. I don't see a point to be honest.

In RC 7.1 the following http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27913&page=3&do=findComment&comment=245811 has been implemented to define banter dialogues during SoD campaign.

This constitutes a slight problem:

Global("EndofBG1","GLOBAL",1) is used in EET for SoD

A large number of NPC scripts and dialogues to NPC to NPC banters use trigger !Global("EndofBG1","GLOBAL",2).

For this reason, BG1 banters can be triggered during SoD but the respective banter file is not assigned to (one) of the involved partners. This results either in a) one NPC starts a banter but it breaks off when the other one does not answer or b) stuttering if a triggering global does not increment.

My proposal is to continue with the BG1 banter file in SoD for those cases that are applicable, i.e. those that were already present during BG1 and only assign new files to new NPCs.

This affects mostly mod NPCs who can follow the PC into SoD. (Alternative - rewrite all banters to use the joined file which is continuous throughout the game...having the b file change several times during the game makes life hard for modders, unless you redo existing stuff.)

PS - for all the new contents I do in EET, I have already decided to refer only to joined files in the future (what about IWD coming?) instead of defining a lot of code to trigger the right dialogue file for the right campaign each time (especially for banters that are not specific to any special part of the game.)

There is the following problem with Jaheirah's dialogue (J-file)

It uses this trigger

GlobalGT("bd_plot","global",599)
GlobalLT("bd_plot","global",685)

for

~We've escaped for the moment, but we cannot run forever. How do you plan to answer the charges against you, <CHARNAME>? Your flight will do little to win you favor with the citizens of Baldur's Gate.~

This state is triggered in SoA campaign instead of the PID.

In my game after SoD I have ("bd_plot","global",680) and I can find no trigger in the whole game that ever makes it reach 685,

Either I make a mistake here or there is a bug with Jaheira. Her state to trigger the PIDs has the EET-corrected trigger

ObjectActionListEmpty(Myself)
IsGabber(Player1)

The same trigger can be found with Minsc and Dynaheir J-dialogues, so obviously this is supposed to trigger somewhere at the end of SoD (but it does not).

Strangely enough the dialogue that triggers (weight 82) is weighted after the PID (weight 73)?

My current patch for this is

IF

Global("EndofBG1","Global",2)

GlobalLT("bd_plot","global",685)

THEN
RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("bd_plot","global",685)

END

(put at bottom of Baldur.bcs)

Archived