opcode #98 (HP: Regeneration) in BG1

Angel

I was fooling around with introducing the Ring of Regeneration into the original BG1, and found that opcode #98 is even more broken in BG1 than already indicated.

Specifically, it completely ignores the "Timing" setting and always uses duration no matter what.

For example, if you set timing "while equipped" (like for a Ring of Regeneration) and set duration to 0, it won't work. If you then set duration to anything above 0, it looks like it works - until the duration passes, then it stops working again. Worse, the effect won't disappear from the character when the item is taken off.

I guess that with Tutu and BGEE there aren't many "pure" BG1 hackers anymore and this is largely irrelevant, but I wanted to note it anyway. ^^

I guess that with Tutu ...
Today you are more likely to run the a BGT(-weidu) user than a (Easy)Tutu.

But anyways... what did you use to modify the item ? And you are sure it's the latest implementation of the editor ? The DLTCEP is 7.6a and NI is w1.1.0.jar

Today you are more likely to run the a BGT(-weidu) user than a (Easy)Tutu.

Heh. I tried BGT a while ago but it didn't work for me, the Candlekeep area was corrupted.

But anyways... what did you use to modify the item ? And you are sure it's the latest implementation of the editor ? The DLTCEP is 7.6a and NI is w1.1.0.jar

dltcep7.4, but I'm pretty sure it's an engine bug. The item does work in other versions, just not in the old BG1. The bg1Effects.dat file already has a notice that this opcode needs a non-zero duration to work, but the problem is apparently worse than that.

If something works in bg2 but doesn't work in bg1, then you can safely assume it was a bug or missing feature in bg1.

BG1 is totally obsolete by now, and you have two options: TuTu or BGEE.

One is cheap as in free, the other is official.

The IESDP states this: "Permanent timing modes require a duration for this effect to work", i.e. if you use While Equipped you still need to provide a Duration. When the Duration runs out, the effect will stop (because that's what Duration is for...). In others words, yes the opcode is screwey in BG1.

Archived