Ranged swashbuckler kit?

Grim Squeaker

Originally posted by Andyr:

SHARPSHOOTER: This sort of thief tends to preferr to use stealth to engage their target from afar with bolt or arrow, rather than face them in dangerous melee combat. Unlike the ranger, they use their skills to aid their dubious activities involving the property and lives of others rather than the protection of the great outdoors.

Although well-versed in the use of many missile weapons, the sharpshooter lacks a warrior's resiliency, and the propensity for missile attacks over melee means that they lack the opportunism of other thieves when it comes to backstabbing. They tend not to see this as a disadvantage, instead striking from the shadows with a well-aimed projectile, or setting a deadly trap for those who would follow.

Excellent description, Andyr, but I'm afraid you dropped the ball when it came to the stats:

Advantages:

- Can attain Mastery in any missile weapon a Thief can use.

- Can make a Called Shot once per day per 5 levels. When he activates this ability, any shot made within the next 10 seconds is augmented in the following manner (according to the level of the sharpshooter):

4th level:  -1 to THACO of target

8th level:  -1 to save vs magic of target

12th level:  -1 to strength of target

16th level:  +2 bonus to damage

Disadvantages:

- Cannot be of Lawful Good alignment.

- Backstab multiplier capped at x2.

I definitely don't consider a maximum +2 bonus to THAC0 and Damage, and the occasional Called Shot, to be worth having one's Backstab multiplier all but nullified. Whatever happened to their level-based THAC0/Damage bonuses? Go ahead and remove their Backstab entirely if you want, but denying them their Archer-like bonuses pretty much invalidates the entire kit.

And personally, I don't really consider alignment (or race) restrictions to be a real disadvantage.

One thing that worries me--I just learned that non-Warriors are prevented (hardcoded) from gaining the extra ApR due to weapon proficiency, which frankly bites. I've never seen a "Increase ApR with Missile Weapons" spell effect, so I doubt I could make the Sharpshooter what I'd intended it to be in this regard.

this includes priests...

found that out while i was fooling around with kensai aerie...

but the damage bonuses from five stars do apply...

however, once you increase the attacks per round above one, to the correct number as if they were warriors, using near infinity, items and weapons that increase attacks per round will correctly modify the apr...for example, kundane, belm and gauntlets of extra ordinary expertise will work correctly... :D

Hmmm... Well, all they lose over a normal thief is the backstab. And since you'll be mostly shooting, this isn't so much of a problem. Especially since you're better at shooting than other thieves. :D

Guest alter Kämpe

Howdi,

I found your forum via the BG1tutu support thread at Balduran's Adventures' Spa & Grill , where CamDawg made some posts, too. As much as I like the idea of Sharpshooter Thief, a reverse kit would be nice, too:

A Backstabbing Dualwielder Thief with Specialized or Mastery proficiencies in Two Weapon Style and Daggers/Short Swords, but without the ability to wield dual Longswords - which is friggin' impossible IRL anyhow.:) And no, I don't ask for another Swashbuckler...

The kit should have one proficiency point for Shortbows and Missile Weapons, but I don't know how to handle Throwing Daggers - if (s)he can Specialize in Daggers (s)he'd get two points on Throwing Daggers, too, right? Snares would be a must, and the Stealth Abilities should have a head start over Picket Pocking and Open Locks, IMHO.

Not a very detailed idea, I guess, but maybe someone could spice it up?

TIA

alter Kämpe

Guest alter Kämpe

(snicker) You might be right - but I don't like the negative connotaions that swing in this description. :suspect:

Anyway, IMNSHO a dual-wielding thief without at least two points in Two-Weapon Style is utter bullshit 'cause the penalty on his main hand is to big, and the restriction to daggers and small swords would differentiate him from the Swashbuckler, Fighter- and Ranger-Kits enough to allow more of the classic thief proficiences.

Archived