WTP Familiars (revised Find Familiar spell)

Hi Salk,

For my own point of view you are free to use any of the material, ideas or anything else you can squeeze out of any mod I've ever released in my own name. If it helps the current modding scene release more mods I'm all for it.

The Credits and Copyright info in the original mod was just there to prevent the mod being instantly reused by someone else at the time of publishing. I have no attachment to any of my previous modding works so feel free to use anything and everything as you wish. If there is anything I co-authored you might need to get agreement from the other author(s) if they are around.

I sent you a pm at the BG:EE forums which is where I first saw your message. I have accounts at SHS, G3, BWL and BG:EE as Rabain, any contact at any of these should eventually reach me...eventually.

I lurk occasionally but don't log in very often any more.

Good Luck & Regards,

Rabain

I am being pretty indecisive about something.

Should the Familiar level up exclusively with caster levels in case of dual and multi class mages?

Wizard spells do that so it doesn't make sense to have the Familiar level up when there is an improvement in a class different than mage.

On the other hand, for balancing reason it'd be better that way.

Any ideas?

I'd vote against exclusivity. A fighter(7)-mage(1) dual is much more powerful than a level 1 mage - he should have a more powerful familiar at his side imo. I don't really know how familiar is "created" (I'm not talking game mechanics here, but "game reality" i.e. is he summoned, created, does he tag along from wilderness etc.)

I'd vote against exclusivity. A fighter(7)-mage(1) dual is much more powerful than a level 1 mage -

You forgot the "NOT as a MAGE" -part of that sentence ... :D

Got yeah. The "caster level" is the clear definitional thing that should determine the strength of the familiar.

Yeah, and that only gets higher when the mage class gets higher ... unless you are a cleric, or a ranger, but there you have to be really high level(ouh, and there's no Ranger/Mages so), but whatever.

What jarno said. A fighter->mage 7/1 is not a more powerful mage than a level 2 mage. In magical things, mind you. Which is what a familiar is about.

It's even more evident if you switch it around, a mage->thief 3/25 shouldn't have their familiar be ultra powerful as the mage is still a clown at magic.

EDIT:

@kreso: IIRC a familiar could pretty much be all of the above. It's either a "natural" creature that gets imbued with a smattering of magical power when it becomes a familiar (a cat, for example). You could also gate a small create and bind it to you (imp) or have a semi-magical creature attach itself to your company (faerie dragon). In all cases the power of the familiar is basically linked to the magical prowess of the master.

Edited by Dakk

It's even more evident if you switch it around, a mage->thief 3/25 shouldn't have their familiar be ultra powerful as the mage is still a clown at magic.

That was a bit cruel... :D

Edited by Salk

That was a bit cruel... :D

You could also gate a small create and bind it to you (imp)

... nice, that you think it's the Imp that's bind to ... :D

LOL x2

Edited by Dakk

After careful consideration (and against my own interest! - I am a F/M/C), I find myself sympathising most with those who believe the level up should be mage exclusive.

So in the next installment, the familiar will level up only when the protagonist advance in level as mage.

What about this: give the creature 1/2 the casters hp, regardless of class, but have it otherwise level up per their wizard levels? That way your wizard/thief 1/20 doesn't have a familiar walking through throne of bhaal with 2hp(?)

Edit

I like that idea: I always worry that the little guys will die...