Widescreen mod and some components of bg1re are incompatible

jastey

I think Widescreen mod expects all areas to have tis-files with the area name. But areas in BG(II) work perfectly with tis-files of different names (as long as the are, wed, and the search maps, and mos all share the same name).

It would be great if Widescreen mod would take this into account. Currently, Widescreen mod and bg1re are incompatible since some components of bg1re introduces mod areas that use game-tis files without renaming the game tis-file.

I do this for other mods, as well, so it would be great if Widescreen could either read the tis-name of the wed-file, or ignore areas that have no tis-file of the same name (assuming that a tis of the game is used).

EDIT: See hereand here for reference.

I don't think anyone is maintaining this, so, not likely to happen anytime soon.

Well, actually if you can code the stuff up, reliably, the mod can be updated by any of the 3 Poodah Gibberlings(admins). I say reliably, because the logic has to cross over multiple library files and multiple games, and that becomes hard with each change.

CamDawg has done so in the past. The 3.06 was definitely done so. But of course those changes were actually approved by the bigg in the github page, year before.

I'd rather not see blanket "incompatible" statements:

1) after all, most of the components are not using tis stuff, so it's just one component;

2) it's quite easy to copy in-game tis files and rename them, or include the files into the mod and ensure compatibility.

Otherwise you're insisting that people shouldn't use all BG1 RE components with Widescreen(and *everybody* uses widescreen with Tutu/BGT and such) because of a single component. To me it seems it's much easier to tweak the component in question than to deny the mod all BGT/EasyTutu users.

It's not one, but 8 components from bg1re (it's 7 areas), also my Ajantis BGII mod, although this never seemed to have been an issue, and two mods I have in the works.

I could include the tis's, but why should I increase the mods' size by x MB only to make it compatible with a mod that could just as easily be changed to account for compatibility.

(If no-one will update Widescrenn than sure, I'll think of something.) EDIT: I changed the topic title to make it less dramatic.

(RE for BGII uses this concept, too, btw. Here, it's not only the tis having the other name, but the custom .are files use all (differently named) game resources, including the wed and search/height maps etc. So, I'd say if Widescreen has a problem with this in the current version, it really should be changed.)

I could include the tis's, but why should I increase the mods' size by x MB only to make it compatible with a mod that could just as easily be changed to account for compatibility.

Actually you could copy the .tis file during the install with an altered name, but that's suboptimal in any case, as it can use a lots of extra space, so the compatibility via fix in the Widescreen mods own code handling is better. Now, we just need to get Mike or CamDawg, or theacefer assign their name with blood on that code as approval, and update the mod, and we are good to go. :party:

Dunno what else I could do to help.

Man... I don't think you need to do a thing more, as posting that will do, unless of course there's more to fix.

Now of course if you could tell us why this only affects the BG1 install and not the BG2(BGT ... as explained above), it would be nice.

I've pushed a pull request that should prevent this from happening. Dunno what else I could do to help.

Thanks! This is example how wonderful git and git hosting sites (like GitHub.com and BitBucket) can be and provide essential value to this community!

Actually you could copy the .tis file during the install with an altered name, but that's suboptimal in any case, as it can use a lots of extra space, so the compatibility via fix in the Widescreen mods own code handling is better. Now, we just need to get Mike or CamDawg, or theacefer assign their name with blood on that code as approval, and update the mod, and we are good to go. :party:

We are good to go one second after CrevsDaak issued pull request - you can just download the whole mod this link: https://github.com/CrevsDaak/widescreen/archive/patch-1.zip (patch-1 is the name of the branch, not the name of some zip file with code changes) and it comes with applied patch :beer:

(RE for BGII uses this concept, too, btw. Here, it's not only the tis having the other name, but the custom .are files use all (differently named) game resources, including the wed and search/height maps etc. So, I'd say if Widescreen has a problem with this in the current version, it really should be changed.)

The problem is only with original BG1 engine and the original Ps:T engine. Nothing happens on TuTu, BGT, nor BG2, since it's a (sort-of) different engine than BG1's. BG1's (and Ps:T's) engine requires .tis file to be of the same size or larger than the size of the screen, otherwise they crash. To prevent this the Widescreen mod enlarges the .tis file by adding black space to it's sides, but it searches for every .tis named after a .wed file, which causes it to fail if somebody's using an existing .tis with custom .wed for a new area. I've fixed it to prevent this in any possible way, while still processing the area .tis if it hasn't been already.

We are good to go one second after CrevsDaak issued pull request - you can just download the whole mod this link: https://github.com/CrevsDaak/widescreen/archive/patch-1.zip (patch-1 is the name of the branch, not the name of some zip file with code changes) and it comes with applied patch

Gives me this (installed on BG:TotSC):

[widescreen/libsmall/patch_tis.tpa] PARSE ERROR at line 18 column 1-50

Near Text: !

GLR parse error

[widescreen/libsmall/patch_tis.tpa] ERROR at line 18 column 1-50

Near Text: !

Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR: parsing [widescreen/libsmall/patch_tis.tpa]: Parsing.Parse_error

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR: [widescreen/areas] -> [widescreen] Patching Failed (COPY) (Parsing.Parse_error)

Stopping installation because of error.

Archived