innate sequencers and contingencies

DrAzTiK

I made this already, it's in Tome & Blood right now ("innate metamagic" component). Install it after SR for best results.

Only thing is, something as powerful as 9th level Chain Contingency seems weird as an innate ability that you can get for free or from a scroll like a common spell. So I made it into an HLA.

This actually reminds me, I need to make a bit of an update to this component.

Edited by subtledoctor

Of course, be aware... it doesn't mean the total end of rememorizing stuff. Sequencers can only be filled with spells you have memorized. So making spwi420/710/809 innate means you save one spell slot on the sequencer itself, but you still sacrifice 2 or 3 slots to fill it.

Of course I personally think that's okay. What I end up doing is, when I rest, I see if I have any spells left that I didn't cast. Whatever I have left, goes into the sequencer. So I don't end up with super-powerful, planned out sequencers (3x Skull Trap etc.). But 2 or 3 reject spells, bundled together intelligently, can still be quite useful the next day. It ends up feeling a bit more organic this way.

From a game system point of view where combat is occupying a majority of your playtime, having to rest to regain spells may not be ideal. The system is based on P&P, however, and it makes a lot more sense since combat is not really the end-all focus of the gameplay. ...Also, spellcasters are already crazy strong - can you imagine a game universe where they're constantly able to cast again? Yikes.

Edited by Bartimaeus

...can you imagine a game universe where they're constantly able to cast again? Yikes.

Dragon Ball, Avatar, army, any number of Anime universes, shooting game. ...yep, dont miss the 3rd option in that. See, it's not like the lead propellents and explosives fry by themselves, it's more like magic than you first thoughs. Try to be a Barbarian today, when they got AK-47's at your ass, pretty sure you aren't going to make it pass the first levels.

From a game system point of view where combat is occupying a majority of your playtime, having to rest to regain spells may not be ideal. The system is based on P&P, however, and it makes a lot more sense

I have said this before, and I'll say it again, the BG games are not P&P based in mechanical point of view, it's a pure Real Time Strategy game, that was randomized by a d20 system inspired by P&P.

The difference is that the game measures the time in very small tick(1/15th of a second), instead of the so called rounds(6 real time seconds). You never have for example reactions once per round, x number of attacks AND movement, or bonus actions... like the current P&P equalent today has.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola