cmorgan

Suggestion: Post it in labeled chunks in the same thread, preferably following natural breaks. You probably code like this anyway. I try to.

Example

Post 1 of 6: Initial state

This is where the top-conditions true block goes. It's probably pretty big. It might point to other sub-menus, like verbal flirts, physical flirts, head games, or actions intended to excite jealousy. It's probably also got some relationship managment stuff in there too. If you group the first block like that, it will make posting code a lot easier, but it will also make troubleshooting easier in the finished mod, so it's worth thinking about.

So, summing it up:
- Post 1 of 6: Initial state
- Post 2 of 6: Verbal flirts
- Post 3 of 6: Physical flirts
- Post 4 of 6: Head games
- Post 5 of 6: Jealousy stuff
- Post 6 of 6: Relationship management

Post 2 of 6: Verbal flirts

This is where you put the transition states from all those verbal flirts in the top state. Maybe there will be other menus, maybe not, but you will know that if it's a verbal flirt, you'll find it here.

Post 3 of 6: Physical flirts

This is where you put the transition states from all those physical flirts in the top state. Maybe there will be other menus, maybe not, but you will know that if it's a physical flirt, you'll find it here.

Post 4 of 6: Head games

This is where you put all the transition states from all the head games the PC can play on Aran: bursting into tears, playing jokes on him, tricking him into doing things for her, you name it. Maybe there will be other menus, maybe not, but you will know that if it's a head game, you'll find it here.

Post 5 of 6: Jealousy stuff

This is wehre you put all the "flirt with somebody else" stuff, and all the other stuff that is intended to excite jealousy in the NPC. Asking opinions about other party members could probably go here, too. What the heck. Maybe there will be other menus, maybe not, but if it's about jealousy, you'll find it here.

Post 6 of 6: Relationship management

Breaking up, getting back together, putting talks or interjections on hold, what have you, you'll find that here. You could also put party management stuff here, too, like if you're kicking Aran out of the party or what have you. If it's about relationship management, you'll find it here.

Good idea. It also serves to recheck my own work, making sure it still maps correctly.

My biggest problem is that since it is going into an alpha for recheck on regular intervals, some of the stuff is decidedly... not for prime time. And the way the friendship/romance stuff bleeds into each other is great because it mimics more natural conversation, but it makes full disclosure much more a problem now.

I didn't think of that when I set out to show all work on the forum.

Heh!

it would take some cutting and pasting, but luckily it really doesn't matter where directly called states reside - the numbering I have set up was originally to keep everything in order, but that is long since past. That is a darned good idea.

Archived