"Gorion's Dagger" Mod Addition Request/Suggestion

MrSyms

Hello, this is my first post, I actually created my account just to make this request. I have been playing the Baldur's Gate trilogy since the original releases. As such, I love the modding community and I also tend to bring my own imaginings into my play throughs. One constant aspect of my play throughs is a sentimentality to the dagger that is recovered from Gorion's inventory. I keep the dagger until it disappears upon transition to BG2.

My request is to place some at least minor importance to Gorion's dagger into the game that I think will work well in this mod specifically. As everyone is aware during the Candlekeep tutorial starting mission Fuller will give you a +1 dagger for retrieving his crossbow bolts provided you have high enough charisma. What I would suggest is a removal of this item from the game and placing the +1 dagger (+1 stat at the very least) into Gorion's inventory with the item being named "Gorion's Dagger".

There can be some new dialogue added for it as well between _charname_ and Imoen and whether or not the dagger can be retrieved again in BG2 is up to the creator of this addition. As I do not have any skill in creating mods and am not likely to ever gain any I leave all the details and credit to an experienced mod creator and I am grateful to anyone who has read and at least considered my idea.

It's a nice idea. Item Revisions might pick it up.

I suspect there might be an issue with giving it enough crunch to keep things interesting for a player, apart from sentimental reasons, vs. not having it overpowered. (If you look up the discussion about Koveras' Ring, you'll see what I mean.)

It's a nice idea. Item Revisions might pick it up.

I suspect there might be an issue with giving it enough crunch to keep things interesting for a player, apart from sentimental reasons, vs. not having it overpowered. (If you look up the discussion about Koveras' Ring, you'll see what I mean.)

Yep, I read through the forums every few months when I decide to quest through BG or IWD again and have seen discussions on Koveras Ring and other items. I mostly chose this mod specifically because this is the one that allows Imoen to eventually give you Gorion's Necklace as a present. That resonated very well with me.

Given how weak daggers are, I don't think there would be as much controversy over something like this. You could probably start out the game with a +1 or even +2 dagger and it wouldn't be a big deal.

So, yeah this is a nice idea.

Yes, you are of the same mindset as me. Some people may claim having magic weapons early is overpowered, however since you already get the +1 dagger immediately and can also get a +1 quarterstaff and bastard sword early when entering Beregost it doesn't seem a big deal to me. I also don't see much problem with quick magic weapons considering how early you can run into monsters such as vampiric wolves that require them for 'vanilla' melee.

(If you look up the discussion about Koveras' Ring, you'll see what I mean.)

Well, a +1 ring is a little different than a +1 ring that also give +5% to every thieving skill and an gives average damage bonus of +1(per dice, so the fireball spell does about +6 more damage at level 10).

Yes, you are of the same mindset as me. Some people may claim having magic weapons early is overpowered, however since you already get the +1 dagger immediately and can also get a +1 quarterstaff and bastard sword early when entering Beregost it doesn't seem a big deal to me.

Well good luck with that with the SCS and IR installed with the standard options, you won't have +1 items, but fine weapons that do more damage(+1), but have no thac0 bonus. Get a few more mods and therre won't be any weapons just lying around and you can't find a +1 weapon to save your life vs the vampire wolves at the Berecost Temple. Unless you go to a shop that sells them.
Well good luck with that with the SCS and IR installed with the standard options, you won't have +1 items, but fine weapons that do more damage(+1), but have no thac0 bonus. Get a few more mods and therre won't be any weapons just lying around and you can't find a +1 weapon to save your life vs the vampire wolves at the Berecost Temple. Unless you go to a shop that sells them.

I skip those options. While I do like the idea of fine or masterwork weapons, the implementation is flawed in my opinion. The way Faerun looks to me is that magic is a large part of the world and not something so out of reach to even the average adventurer. I could understand magic weapons being super rare if the attribute of immunity to normal weapons was less common and if a magic user was a class so rare and powerful to be supremely feared. As it is mages are a dime a dozen class and only a real problem when in a group or with an exp level far passed your own. As such it doesn't seem farfetched to me that there are plenty of mages sitting in their strongholds or where ever spending time creating magic weapons for profit or otherwise. Plus the gods see fit to almost constantly interact with this world and it is commonplace for them to enchant weapons for their favored adventurers.

Beyond my personal view of the world, I'm not sure what you mean by fine and masterwork items not giving a bonus to THAC0. Readme descriptions for both SCS and IR detail a bonus to THAC0 and damage. If it were as you say I'd be more interested as I cannot see why a finely made blade would carry an adventage of skill for the wielder, that takes magic. A sharper blade made with more care and finer material should cut better sure, but that doesn't mean the wielder (especially a green adventurer or a peasant for that matter) is any better in his/her martial prowess using it.

Not to discourage your point of course. I know there are players who prefer heavier challenges. I do too depending on my mood and how I feel like roleplaying my character, companions, and the world.

Actually, if you use IR&SCS, you have to edit IR's .ini file to get Masterwork weapons in your game, they won't be there by default.

If SCS detects IR, it will skip it's own relevant component, and IR skips it's own component in favour of SCS one.

So unless you tinker with IR's ini settings, you'll have all the magical weapons you want.

Heh heh, my own mod converts +1 weapons to 'mastercraft' quality as well. But it keeps their functional characteristics the same. So you can really have it any way you like.

In any event, I should think Gorion might carry something better than a plain +1 dagger.

Jarno, what do you think about adding +1 Luck to it?

:p

Luck sounds interesting to me; a +1 dagger is just... well, there're a lot of +1 weapons around. +1 is boring. I wouldn't mind a weak power for Gorion's dagger, I'd just be let down if it were generic. Like the original Koveras' Ring is a generic +1 Ring of Protection that Sarevok doesn't even notice if you carry it through to the Throne of Bhaal. But then, as a gamer I prefer flavour over tactical use, it's just my play style.

How about a bonus against Evil aligned creatures? (If that's possible.)

A sharper blade made with more care and finer material should cut better sure, but that doesn't mean the wielder (especially a peasant or a green adventurer for that matter) is any better in his/her martial prowess using it.

(I'd disagree, actually. A point-heavy blade vs. one that's sized and balanced for your arm-strength makes a difference, especially over the long term. You don't get so tired, and you're not fighting the weapon all the time. Or the difference between a bow that always throws left over one that doesn't.)

Jarno, what do you think about adding +1 Luck to it?

Yeah, let's just give the player another enchanted item that's worth a +20,000 gold. And while we are at it, we could also make the dirp give a permanent vanilla protection from evil, that's a 1'st level cleric spell right ? That's not much, is it ? Sounds nice. Especially as you can then summon as many demons as you wish without their AI being able to even see you, also the +3 damage bonus against Sarevok and more than half of the game monsters and so forth is REALLY NICE. TOO NICE actually.

Luck bonus sounds fun, but I'd also agree it may be a bit overpowered for what is pretty much your first item pickup. Seeing as how this is Gorion, perhaps it could have a 1D4 fire or some other elemental damage. Maybe even come with one use per day spell(s) like Magic Missile.

(I'd disagree, actually. A point-heavy blade vs. one that's sized and balanced for your arm-strength makes a difference, especially over the long term. You don't get so tired, and you're not fighting the weapon all the time. Or the difference between a bow that always throws left over one that doesn't.)

Good point.

What does "dirp" mean exactly?

Well, it's a bit of a reference to the fact that whatever the item is in the BG1 portion of the game, it shouldn't be the Ultimate Over Powered item of all the OP -items. It's nothing against anyone, just in case you took that as such. Or even regular OP item, at the start of the games campaign.

Archived