Item Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

For the Ring of Earth: I don't think I've ever used the stone to flesh ability. So changing that to Prot. from Petrification would be nice.
It's exactly what i tought.
Also, instead of the stoneskin, maybe use the barkskin ability from that druid staff(just change the name to sound more earthly...eg. skin of stone). This would give the character that nice brown color.
I don't understand:you mean having the stoneskin effect with barkskin look?Or you're suggesting using barkskin effect (ac bonus) insted of stoneskins one?
Ring of Air: I can't think of any low level air spells that would fit(possibly haste). Maybe just add a resistance and change Invisibility to 3/day.
Air/Lightning spells could be Zone of fresh Air or Glitterdust...3.5 PnP Ring of Air has Chain Lightining!! Anyway 3/day Improved Invisibility is too much in my opinion.
Ring of Fire: I always thought burning hands was wasted on this ring. If you're a fighter, you attack for more. If you're a spellcaster, you don't want to be that close.
In fact i would have traded burning hands for Fire Shield or some other fire based spell...any ideas which one should fit better?
P.S. another suggestion would be to just make them Elemental Summoning Items. Either a good elemental and Charm, or a weak elemental and some abilities.
It's what i've done in the first place...but then i tought that summoning should remain limited to elemental staffs...and that elemental staff should remain limited to mages and druids.
Also, instead of the stoneskin, maybe use the barkskin ability from that druid staff(just change the name to sound more earthly...eg. skin of stone). This would give the character that nice brown color.
Just disregard this, I forgot they both change your color. I was going with barkskin for the brownish color, but stoneskin does the same thing.

For the Ring of Air: How about doing a theme and going with Improved invisibility and FireShield(Blue). This way all three rings would have a shield and another ability.

If you're going to add resistances to the rings, you may want to add resistances to the various weapon types for the ring of earth (maybe 10-20%). It'll fit the theme and be less encoutner specific/powerful than stoneskin.

Ok, I was just looking over all the abilities we've been talking about, and these rings are getting too powerful. They were already all good enough to wear in a party(at least I used them all). So without adding extra resists and more spells, this is what I was thinking....remember, most of these you get right away.

Ring of Air:

Charm Air Elemental

Improved Invisibility

FireShield(Blue) or Haste/Lightning bolt

Ring of Earth:

Charm Earth Elemental

Prot. from Petrification

+1 AC (either up this to +2, take it away and give stoneskin, or give it resist to melee dmg)

Ring of Fire:

Charm Fire Elemental

Fire Resist(I actually liked the resist how it was)

FireShield(Red)...This would give extra fire res. though wouldn't it?

If you did it like this, all three rings would have the charm, a defensive ability, and a spell to help in battle.

If you're going to add resistances to the rings, you may want to add resistances to the various weapon types for the ring of earth (maybe 10-20%). It'll fit the theme and be less encoutner specific/powerful than stoneskin.
Actually i've always preferred the 3.5 version of stoneskin (res 10/adamantium instead of immunity to up to ten physical attacks!)...it's a good idea but even stoneskin fits well the ring and physical resistances too could be very powerful (barbarians resistances as well as armor of faith or fighter's HLA would stack).

Maybe the AC bonus could be removed in favor of this...but with a low %,something like 10% resistance to all weapons (or 15% against all but crushing! :) )

Here's a new idea, actually partially covered. How about having an animation cycle for the rings. Ring of air gives the blur ability while equipped(or just the foggy animation), fire gives the fire shield while equipped, and earth could give one of the abilities you decide(+ac, stoneskin, or %res). I'd actually like the idea of either AC or %res and maybe the brownish look of barkskin/stoneskin. I'm really into graphics and effects for the feel of the game. I wish there was something better for Ring of fire, like Smoke or fire eg. flametongue.

How about having an animation cycle for the rings
Yes it's a good idea...it expands my tought of rings making the wearer akin to a genasi.

Ring of Earth: the wearer get a thick brown skin (i think the new color should not apply to armor)

Ring of Air: apart the blur or translucent effect i really don't know

Ring of Fire: the fireshield is too much...color glow pulse red to hair? :)

If we're going this way i think would fit better having only defensive abilities granted by these ring...no flame strike, burning hands and the like.

As you thought to improve Valygar's armor, are you planning to improve other npc items?

If so, something could be done to Jaheira's harper pin. It is powerful as it is but speaking frankly, when you receive that item, the game is very advanced and almost no one shoots you a magic missile. That abylity should be changed to another one, something to improve her druid casting abylities. The same happens to the non-detection thing. In the vanilla game, non-detection works only if you hide in shadows with your ranger or with a thief. I believe that with invisibility also works, but Jaheira has not invisibility spell, nor stealth, so why giving her that non-detection?

It could be upgraded only if you are romancing her and use the pendant you get in the romance.

What do you think?

As you thought to improve Valygar's armor, are you planning to improve other npc items?
Yes! I'd like to make them more useful or appropriate to the Npcs. For istance i want to force the player to think twice before unequipping the Npcs of their beloved items...for example doesn't make sense to me that Keldorn discards his blade received from Torm himself in favor of the first +3 two handed sword he found in a sewer!!
If so, something could be done to Jaheira's harper pin. It is powerful as it is but speaking frankly, when you receive that item, the game is very advanced and almost no one shoots you a magic missile. That abylity should be changed to another one, something to improve her druid casting abylities. The same happens to the non-detection thing. In the vanilla game, non-detection works only if you hide in shadows with your ranger or with a thief. I believe that with invisibility also works, but Jaheira has not invisibility spell, nor stealth, so why giving her that non-detection?
I've always tought the Harper pin doesn't fit Jaheira but it's an"existing"Forgotten Realms item...i don't know if it has to be changed at all but i can think about it and if you (or anyone) have good ideas about it let me know! By the way magic missile is often used as last resort by high lvl mages too and it really could hurt! Non-detection it's quite a useless ability if the character isn't able to hide in shadows cause in BG it doesn't work with invisibility via spells. (This item would be really useful if you make her a ranger/cleric :) )
It could be upgraded only if you are romancing her and use the pendant you get in the romance.
Actually i think you can upgrade it only if you install Item Upgrade but i stop using it cause that mod provides too many major artifact level items (which translated means too many overpowered items: Celestial Fury +5 is an outstanding example).

I still have doubts about how rings should be done but in the meanwhile i propose the enhanced Elemental Staffs.

Staff of Fire ---> moved to page 11

Special Abilities (20 charges each):

Summon 8 HD Fire Flemental (10 turns)

Fireball (10D6 save vs. staff half)

Combat Abilities:

+1D6 fire damage on hit

Staff of Air ---> moved to page 11

Summon 8 HD Air Elemental (10 turns)

Gust of Wind: any creature must save vs. breath at -2 penalty or be blown back by the force of the gust. In addition all clouds in the area will be dismissed

Combat Abilities:

+1 attack per round

Staff of Earth ---> moved to page 11

Summon 8 HD Earth Elemental (10 turns)

Flesh to stone (save vs. staff negates) ---> Probably another spell could be better, any suggestion?

Equipped Abilities:

Armor class bonus: +2

Note that a more powerful combat ability implies less powerful secondary spell. For now i've made them usable only by mages and druids (single multi or dual classed). Furthmore i've redone the Elementals in another mod but i can put them in both mods if you like them, the 8 Hit Dice elementals are as follow...

Characteristics (Fire Elemental) :

STR 14, DEX 16, CON 16, INT 6, WIS 11, CHA 11; AL Neutral

HP 84, AC 2, THACO +10, Saving Throws 10/12/11/11/13

2 Attacks per Round, 2d6+2 Slashing +2d6 Fire Damage (Fist +2)

Special Abilities:

Immune to Normal Weapons

Immune to poison, sleep, hold & stun effects

Fire Resistance 100%

Slashing, Crushing, Piercing & Missile Resistance 25%

Characteristics (Air Elemental) :

STR 14, DEX 19, CON 16, INT 6, WIS 11, CHA 11; AL Neutral

HP 84, AC 0, THACO +8, Saving Throws 10/12/11/11/13

2 Attacks per Round, 2d6+2 Piercing Damage (Fist +2)

Special Abilities:

Immune to Normal Weapons

Slashing, Crushing & Piercing Resistance 25% ; Missile Resistance 75%

Characteristics (Earth Elemental) :

STR 19, DEX 8, CON 18, INT 6, WIS 11, CHA 11; AL Neutral

HP 104, AC 4, THACO +8, Saving Throws 10/12/11/11/13

2 Attacks per Round, 2d6+9 Crushing Damage (Fist +2)

Special Abilities:

Immune to Normal Weapons

Slashing, Piercing & Missile Resistance 50%

Updates:

- Elementals: 8HD instead of 16HD ones

- Staff of Air: Gust of Wind replaces Zone of Fresh Air

What about water? :)

Which elementals are these? There are several versions in the game, from lesser to normal to greater. They seem to match PnP statistics, for what that's worth. Just remember when you're increasing dexterity and constitution above normal, you're also increasing the effective AC and HP. Also, in most cases, all non-character creatures should get the saving throws of warriors for their level/hit dice.

Which elementals are these? There are several versions in the game, from lesser to normal to greater. They seem to match PnP statistics, for what that's worth. Just remember when you're increasing dexterity and constitution above normal, you're also increasing the effective AC and HP. Also, in most cases, all non-character creatures should get the saving throws of warriors for their level/hit dice
These are the 12HD elementals that mages and druids summon with a six level spell (i've also changed 8HD and 16HD versions). As you say they match PnP statistics: i've used the 3.5 edition and managed to port it to 2nd . However i've taken some liberty: physical damage resistance was previously 5/- for all of them (i've translated it to 25% in 2nd ed. rules) but you can see i've made it a little different from one Elemental to another to make them more unique...for the same reason instead of having crushing damage for all of them fire el. get slashing damage and air el. get piercing damage. The descriptions i've posted includes bonus to THAC0, AC and HP provided by strenght, dexterity and constitution. They get the saving throws of warriors appropriate to their level/hit dice.
What about water?
That would be great but beyond the scope of my project. Refinements let you summon the Prince of Water Elemental with Druids but i don't know if i'm allowed to take that animation to make a six level spell version.
I like the ideas for the staffs. I think that zone of sweet air and an extra attack for a wizard is kinda weak compared with sunfire. What if you made the staff of air have haste or mass invisibility with the +1 attack per round?
You may be right but the extra attack is really useful if used with a fighter/mage or fighter/druid,it's much more powerful than +1D6 fire damage or +2 AC. I've thought about giving it haste ability but there's a problem: you can haste your character simply by having the staff while fighting with another weapon. What do you think? Should i change Zone of Fresh Air anyway?
You may be right but the extra attack is really useful if used with a fighter/mage or fighter/druid,it's much more powerful than +1D6 fire damage or +2 AC.

I didn't realize you were only making sunfire 1D6, I was thinking of the spell being caster level. Zone is good for a secondary ability. It balances out overall, I just remember using it too much.

How about working on the dragon armors next?

Archived