Improved D'Arnise Keep

I recently found the time to play BG2 again, and I got up to the D'Arnise Keep. Much to my surprise, the 4 trolls and 2 ice trolls in the main audience hall were replaced with about three-times that number of spirit (or spectral), normal and ice trolls. A few other groups, such as the lone ice troll on the way to the drawbridge winch, and the lone ice troll in the barracks, near the star sapphire, were also much more powerful and numerous than I've encountered countless times before.

Wondering what the heck happened (I thought I triggered something multiple times), I looked through my Wiedu.log and found that I had accidentally installed the Improved D'Arnise Keep componant (I've always refrained from it because I always have enough problems with Torgal).

It's the first time I've had trolls get back up during a battle, and the first time I've actually run out of fire- or acid-dealing arrows and spells when dealing with trolls (I had to aim a fireball to finish off three of them). I even had to resort to Yasraena poisoning them with IronKiss, to finish them off.

Thank you so much for improving this area! I should accidentally install componants I didn't mean to more often, since it was a pleasant surprise running into that first band :). It actually required me to use a strategy I used (to no effect XD) the first time I fought that first group. Though, now I'm starting to dread Torgal's little band :laugh:.

Keep up the stellar work!

Cool - glad it's working well for you. (Actually, the troll spawns are randomised, so it won't necessarily be the same setup next time).

Have you also got the "more resilient trolls" component installed? That makes them more likely to get up again.

And let me know what you think about the Torgal battle - I have the impression it's on the edge of too difficult but I'd welcome feedback.

Just beat D'Arnise Hold. I think I got off easy, Torgal didn't move through the entire fight, not even when he was being attacked. If this is a bug that was already fixed, I think I'm using an old version (I've been downloading the later versions, but the prospect of having to start a new game has kept me from installing any).

Though, from my experience when it was just two giant trolls and Torgal, I can readily imagine how hard it would be with the four extra spirit trolls, if Torgal had actually fought.

If you think it's too difficult, a good strategy is to retreat back to the previous room and fight them one or two at a time, so I don't think it's too hard.

And let me know what you think about the Torgal battle - I have the impression it's on the edge of too difficult but I'd welcome feedback.

I agree -- "on the edge of too difficult" is just the right way to put it. Divide-and-conquer tactics are almost a must, and some people find them cheap. I don't, but I think that they shouldn't be required out of deference to those that dislike them.

For what it's worth, I was near the beginning of Chapter 2 with a reasonable, but not completely optimized, party. Were I to wait until near the end of Chapter 2 it would have been much easier.

Assuming there was no change between v.5 and now, then I found it difficult with my solo Berserker, although it was the 1st stronghold quest I did as I recall. However, I don't think it needs any changes in difficulty, it was one of the standout components from my playthrough.

Archived