Minor Issue in the Second Quest (SPOILERS)

You can pickpocket Sawara's gem. You know, the one that transports you back to the Bridge District. As much as I love finding creative solutions to quests using pickpockets, this is potentially game-breaking. What happens if someone uses the gem once, then returns and kills Sawara? Alternately, they could use the gem to escape Spellhold, probably breaking the game.

The easy solution is to make the gem non-pickpocketable. I'd prefer that you rewrite the script to make the quest work if the gem is stolen, but it'd be a lot more work and the large majority of players would never notice it. Plus, even Bioware takes the "quest items cannot be pickpocketed" route more often than not.

One more thing: the Druid spell Insect Plague makes this battle fairly easy. This isn't really your problem; that spell makes a lot of things (such as the Celestial Fury fight) almost trivial. If you ever change the battle around significantly it might be worth looking at, but otherwise don't worry about it. Magic resistance effects Insect Plague, so giving everybody Potions of Magic Protection makes the spell much less reliable. Of course, players like me will just have the resident thief remove all of Sawara's potions before he goes hostile.

Ooh, this is fairly big--thanks! I wouldn't have noticed because I never pickpocket. Marked for the next version.

Sawara will most likely be getting revamped soon; apparently he also has trouble detecting invisibility. I do find, like you, that Insect Plague tends to make everything easier :)

You can pickpocket Sawara's gem. You know, the one that transports you back to the Bridge District. As much as I love finding creative solutions to quests using pickpockets, this is potentially game-breaking. What happens if someone uses the gem once, then returns and kills Sawara? Alternately, they could use the gem to escape Spellhold, probably breaking the game.

The easy solution is to make the gem non-pickpocketable. I'd prefer that you rewrite the script to make the quest work if the gem is stolen, but it'd be a lot more work and the large majority of players would never notice it. Plus, even Bioware takes the "quest items cannot be pickpocketed" route more often than not.

One more thing: the Druid spell Insect Plague makes this battle fairly easy. This isn't really your problem; that spell makes a lot of things (such as the Celestial Fury fight) almost trivial. If you ever change the battle around significantly it might be worth looking at, but otherwise don't worry about it. Magic resistance effects Insect Plague, so giving everybody Potions of Magic Protection makes the spell much less reliable. Of course, players like me will just have the resident thief remove all of Sawara's potions before he goes hostile.

Archived