Version 28 of Sword Coast Stratagems released

DavidW

SCS 28 won't install on EasyTutu installs due to a problem with avaricem.cre not existing. I attempted to install with other mods which failed, then on a clean easytutu install with nothing else installed. The relevant portion of the debug file is here:

SFO: Applying patch(es) to CRE file(s) digger...

[./override/_digger.CRE] loaded, 1096 bytes

Copying and patching 1 file ...

[./override/_digger.CRE] loaded, 1096 bytes

Copied [_digger.CRE] to [override/_digger.CRE]

...done

edit_template of type CRE called for avaricem with no arguments

[stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 33 bytes

Appending to files ...

[stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 33 bytes

Appended text to [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt]

SFO: Applying patch(es) to CRE file(s) avaricem...

FAILURE:

You are trying to edit avaricem.CRE, which does not exist in the game

Stopping installation because of error.

If a new release isn't forthcoming is there a way I could workaround this portion, since it's in the initial component nothing else will install when it chokes on it.

Dorn's "Poison weapon" effect in BGEE bypass any magic defense(mirror image, stone skin) on successful hit(no damage, just peeling one image or skin).

And his poison is 2 damage per second up to 12 total for 1 turn.

Therefore he can deal with most mages single handed.

Can it be fixed ?

Btw, thanks for you amazing mod, David.

Hi there, i just re installed bg2 with tob and the patch plus a great deal of mods. I just tried to install scs and when it came to Smarter General AI it says ''not installed due to errors'' resource NMMONK.spl not found. What could be the cause of that? By the way,until yesterday i was using v21 and strangely the drow of ust natha (the warriors) became petrified as soon as they spawned removing the challenge of killing them. I attached the weidu log too.

WeiDU.txt

Some belated bug reports and comments for v28 (I've been busy with other stuff):

*Rakshasas now seem to have the same offensive spell choices as regular mages (i.e. not focused around AoE's like web/ice storm/death fog/cloudkill), they're also much lower level in some cases, Maharajah Raks and Adratha in the druid grove are only level 9 (instead of 16 or so... trademeet Raks used to be one of the hardest chapter 2 battles IMO). They also sometimes have vocalize memorized, which is pointless becuase AFAIK no silence spell can affect a Rakshasa.

*I can confirm scorpio's report that Tanova (the version in Bodhi's lair, not in the nighttime encounter) has no combat script assigned

*About the bug some other players mentioned with unbreachable liches, it turns out that while the lich ring does not grant immunity to breach anymore, the lich trait spell (DW#LICIM.spl) still does.

*Sendai (the real one, the first time she's fought) has vanilla game spellbook and doesn't have your mage/cleric script.

*Lizards in Abazigal's lair, all now have HLA's, not just their captain. DWLSH2 (the lizard shaman) is now a druid, but uses a vanilla game script (CMACL20A).

*In the eyeball area in Abazigal's lair, the tyrant golems don't spwan:

IF
!Global("DMWWBeholders","AR6003",1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("DMWWBeholders","AR6003",1)
CreateCreature("dw#tygol",[1047.962],0)
CreateCreature("dw#tygol",[947.1037],0)
CreateCreature("dw#tygol",[1241.1059],0)
CreateCreature("behund01",[1213.936],0) // Death Tyrant
CreateCreature("behund01",[1126.914],0) // Death Tyrant
END

The cre resource DW#TYGOL is missing.

*The Ascension fallen solars have FINSOL04 as their script, which calls for them to summon mariliths and a succubus at start of combat, DW#SOLAR a non-summoning script, which I suppose they're intended to use, is compiled but not actually assigned to them. FINSOLAR.cre is also still classed as NO_CLASS rather than FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC

*Abazigal in the final Ascension battle seems to share Irenicus-in-Hell's f/m script, this is game breaking, because the top block of his script is now:

IF
HPLT(Myself,2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ChangeAnimation("HELLJON2") // Jon Irenicus
SetGlobal("DefeatedJon","GLOBAL",1)
END

Rather than.

IF
HPLT(Myself,20)
Global("DeathScriptAbaz","AR6200",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetInterrupt(FALSE)
SetGlobal("DeathScriptAbaz","AR6200",1)
ClearActions(Myself)
CreateVisualEffectObject("ICRMPARI",Myself)
CreateVisualEffectObject("SPROTECT",Myself)
ActionOverride("finmel01",ClearActions(Myself))
ActionOverride("finmel01",DestroyItem("finabaz")) // Abazigal
ReallyForceSpellDeadRES("melspl10","finmel01")
Kill(Myself)
END

Also, I don't think Abazigal needs a full high level mage spell book with timestop etc...

On the other hand, the new general AI scripting and kit assignment is great (I've noticed in v28 enemies don't follow sanctuaried characters) I wonder if it's possible to have v28 smarter general AI and v21 for the rest, or am I going to break my game?

Dorn's "Poison weapon" effect in BGEE bypass any magic defense(mirror image, stone skin) on successful hit(no damage, just peeling one image or skin).

And his poison is 2 damage per second up to 12 total for 1 turn.

Therefore he can deal with most mages single handed.

Can it be fixed ?

Ugh, this is a ridiculous change BGEE made to the stoneskin and mirror image effects (which block poison in vanilla BG2, as they should). The result is that their new blackguard kit is as powerful vs mages as Weimer's anti-paladin. Actually it's even more overpowered, since the poisoned mage has no chance to recover.

It's not an SCS bug anyway, and besides it's an engine level thing that would be hard to reverse.

Ugh, this is a ridiculous change BGEE made to the stoneskin and mirror image effects (which block poison in vanilla BG2, as they should). The result is that their new blackguard kit is as powerful vs mages as Weimer's anti-paladin. Actually it's even more overpowered, since the poisoned mage has no chance to recover.

It's not an SCS bug anyway, and besides it's an engine level thing that would be hard to reverse.

I didn't mean to call it SCS bug, but hoped it can be fixed somehow, like a lot of other little things.

It seems pretty important for SCS mod.

I didn't mean to call it SCS bug, but hoped it can be fixed somehow, like a lot of other little things.

It seems pretty important for SCS mod.

I'm afraid it's not "fix"-able, because it's an intended (...) feature of BGEE.

Your options, if you don't like the overpoweredness of poison would be too:

1) Find someone skilled in infinity engine hacking, like Taimon, ask them to decompile baldur.exe and meddle with the hardcoded stoneskin effect.

2) Not play Enhanced Edition

1) Find someone skilled in infinity engine hacking, like Taimon, ask them to decompile baldur.exe and meddle with the hardcoded stoneskin effect.

3) Complain? (to developers)

I'm afraid it's not "fix"-able, because it's an intended (...) feature of BGEE.

Ok, ok, I got it.

And It's possible just

4)Don't hit poison weapon button.

I don't understand the complaints about this abilty... assassins can do the same, so do arrows/bolts of biting and darts of wounding. The only issue I have with it is that it stacks with arrows of detonation (though I never use those anyway) for overpowered AoE poison.

Edit : Some say it didn't work that way in original/vanilla game and my memory is weak on that since I haven't played it in a while but I'm pretty confident that on-hit effects always applied through stoneskin and likely mirror image too so you could always interrupt mages unless PfMW'd (elemental dmg and stun from celestial fury anyone?)

Complaints are imo spot-on, but not because of the poison itself, but for the fact that it bypasses mirror images and stoneskin, which isn't how it worked (works) in the original game. On-hit effects do indeed bypass such defences, but not poison. Similary, using Poison Weapon in conjuction with Detonation arrows does not inflict poison damage on a stoneskined mage in the original game, but it can inflict other effects such as WizardSlayers casting failure, AoE Deathblow HLA etc. through stoneskin.

My personal opinion - developers wanted the game to be more "newbie-friendly", so they implemented such imbalanced stuff as "core features". You don't see games such as those the old Silmarils studio used to make nowdays.

Regardless, I don't blame the develpers - they're in it for the money, not appeal to fossil players like myself :p .

Be that as it may, I doubt SCS has anything to do with it.

Apart from the overpoweredness of poison vs casters I find that behaviour totally implausible: The assassin's poison coated sword or the wyvern's stinger bounces harmlessly off a mage's stoneskins, but the poison ends up injected into his bloodstream anyway. That's a nice magic trick!

About the vanilla game assassin's poison, yeah, it's also a variety that causes 1/2 damage even on a save. IMO it's not OP for a single class thief (without multiple attacks or warrior THAC0), considering the assassin must compete with builds like a dual class human F->T (with weapon GM) and a F/T multi (exceptionally strong at high levels).

You could DC a human assassin to fighter to get more mileage out of their poison, but this either takes ages or leaves you with a gimped thief with poor thieving skills and lower backstab multiplier, also you'd be sacrificing a lot of hp compared to other fighters along with shorty saving throws etc.

We've drifted a long way off topic here...

Some belated bug reports and comments for v28 (I've been busy with other stuff):

*Rakshasas now seem to have the same offensive spell choices as regular mages (i.e. not focused around AoE's like web/ice storm/death fog/cloudkill), they're also much lower level in some cases, Maharajah Raks and Adratha in the druid grove are only level 9 (instead of 16 or so... trademeet Raks used to be one of the hardest chapter 2 battles IMO). They also sometimes have vocalize memorized, which is pointless becuase AFAIK no silence spell can affect a Rakshasa

Are they immune to level 6 spells ? Otherwise, Power Word : silence should affect them.

Archived