BGQE v9: Need editors for NPCs accents! (Dynaheir and The Dwarfs)

I'd be very grateful if someone would help me with the NPCs having the strongest accents: Dynaheir, Montaron, Kagain, Yeslick. Please help me rephrasing the sentences in the way these NPC talk in the game (and the BG1NPC Project).

Here are the lines:

Dynaheir

/* c#q01001.tra */

@121 = ~There is nothing funny about this situation. Let us see how we can help this man. My magic is not sufficient.~

@151 = ~You have a twisted sense of humor, <CHARNAME>, and I will not tolerate it. This is nonsense!~

@170 = ~You knew the potion wouldn't necessarily work, <CHARNAME>! I do not wish us to "help" in this way. If you don't mean to help, then let us decline our assistance the next time, so the people have a chance to look for someone that will!~

@202 = ~There is a price to everything. Magic is not to be trifled with.~

/* c#q02005.tra */

@207 = ~This is a fine ending.~

@210 = ~Buying that necklace will help those people, although I am not sure what you are planning to do with it.~

@240 = ~I surely hope you took it to give it to the parents yourself, <CHARNAME>!~

/* c#q03008_9_10_11.tra */

@314 = ~(smiles) You did that quite well on your own, <CHARNAME>.~

/* c#q04001_3_4_5.tra */

@85 = ~I am sorry for the wife and child, having such a husband and father.~

/* c#q04eggdelivery.tra */

@36 = ~Who would have known we would have to fight that wyvern wherever it would have been delivered?...~

@49 = ~I don't feel good about this egg stone. It seems a powerful magical item, though... Maybe that is the problem.~

/* c#q05001.tra */

@146 = ~I wish him success!~

@172 = ~Do you find this amusing? Why did you give that information to these people?~

@177 = ~What that woman said could be interesting for the fallen paladin.~

/* c#q07001.tra */

@111 = ~May his path be peaceful.~

/* c#q10001.tra */

@97 = ~Many men have taken great comfort from little things. Is it not so, my dear Minsc?~

Montaron

/* c#q01001.tra */

@117 = ~Why do we have to deal with such ridiculous things? Bah, let's slit him open, hack and chop him into little pieces. Finished.~

@153 = ~And now the slime is gone to slime elsewhere.~

@181 = ~Hahahahaaa! This was delightful. This was better than hacking the slime into pieces!~

@188 = ~Are they finished with their greasy behaviour?~

@244 = ~I'd make the pieces small enough so you can put them into your potion bottle, mage. Deal?~

/* c#q02005.tra */

@166 = ~MwahaHAHA! This was fun! Let's find another family and do this again!~

@174 = ~And the prize for riddle solving goes to - tadaa! - <CHARNAME>! Let's get out of here.~

@218 = ~Better give me all your gold, Xzar, to make things simple and straight!~

@219 = ~<CHARNAME>, I have a thing or two I'd like to sell you, too, if you have the time...~

@235 = ~<CHARNAME>, next time you have too much gold, just give it to us.~

@246 = ~Oh, dear Xzar, don't cry! The world is mean and heartless!~

@260 = ~Excuse me while I kill myself in that corner over there.~

@262 = ~Don't be jealous, mage, I am sure <CHARNAME> loves you, too.~

@297 = ~Why didn't you let the boy have that thing, <CHARNAME>? It was about to start being fun.~

@436 = ~That's probably because you haven't gone behind the bushes in time, Xzar.~

/* c#q04001_3_4_5.tra */

@77 = ~No, Xzar, we don't need another pet monster. You are enough as it is.~

@56 = ~You have to wear that on the head, yes? Want me to put it there for you, Xzar? Let me just swing it a bit around, first, to make sure it *hits* the right spot!~

/* c#q05001.tra */

@162 = ~That is due to the fact that you haven't been a young girl for quite some time now, Xzar.~

@175 = ~Ye-heah! Quick, let us go to the parents' house and watch the mob do their mobbing!~

/* c#q07001.tra */

@113 = ~Now you did it, Xzar, my eyes are watering.~

/* c#q10001.tra */

@107 = ~You had a pet rabbit?~

@110 = ~I never had a pet rodent! I feel tricked!~

@125 = ~What? What? Why did you give them all away, I just about finished fattening them.~

@133 = ~I could just kill you, and save you the trouble.~

@154 = ~I would love to have the hamster. And at least three more, please. They are so small, it's no real meal otherwise!~

/* drunk_beregosttemple.tra */

@4 = ~I always wanted to kill a lich, you know. And I enjoy killing a man! I never tried a man who claims himself a lich. I guess it would be a disappointment.~

@25 = ~Arrrrh, <CHARNAME>, now you are a poor sod and killing you in your sleep without anything to rob is so less fun!~

Kagain

/* c#q01001.tra */

@124 = ~You're not seriously considering helping, do you?~

@157 = ~Hmpf. If we'd just squashed him right away, it would have been over much sooner.~

@183 = ~Did this amuse you, <CHARNAME>? Pff.~

@194 = ~<CHARNAME>, I will squash the next slime we see, whatever you say.~

/* c#q02005.tra */

@171 = ~I can help them move with another kick in the butt!~

@200 = ~Now they are all standing united, it would take only one blow with my axe to finish them off. <CHARNAME>, say that this was your intention! You are not going to listen to this babbling any longer, are you?!~

@226 = ~Some people are just too plain stupid for this world, if you ask me.~

@295 = ~Next time we waste time with something like this you will need someone to wipe the snot from your own nose!~

@434 = ~That mother got help from us - seems she was undecided as to when it would be best to leave this place. Now she correctly realized it is time to go.~

/* c#q04001_3_4_5.tra */

@78 = ~I am sorry they didn't order a Spectral Panther. I would have liked to fight whatever the delivery actually was *then*.~

@80 = ~I could crack your scull with my axe and see what comes out of there!~

@60 = ~Hmpf. At least we had some fun with those beasts and the tamer. You see what we get for saving a man's life? A stone!~

/* c#q05001.tra */

@164 = ~Bah, we glow of charity and felicitousness, it's driving me away!~

@173 = ~Ha! I didn't know you are of the jesting kind.~

/* c#q06001_2.tra */

@123 = ~I like blood splashes on my weapons and armor to impress my enemies, but if I'd have to kill *that thing* I'd probably wash to get rid of that smell - <CHARNAME> - what are we doing here?~

/* c#q07001.tra */

@114 = ~Maybe we should follow him... and make sure he gets the greeting he deserves!~

@116 = ~Oh, come on, Blackguard. Not that you wouldn't like to try your weapon on this

/* c#q10001.tra */

@92 = ~Phh, rodents!~

@112 = ~Of course I had one, too, when I was little. And another, and another. Just enough to feed the snake.~

@152 = ~Nice, trying to drop that into my backpack. Did I mention that I see this as snake food?~

Yeslick

/* c#q01001.tra */

@135 = ~*sigh* It wouldn't be the first time someone did such a mischief to himself. And yet, it is only fair to consider the motivation for his actions.~

@167 = ~Well, we went for the uncertain route, and it went wrong. I am not proud of this.~

@184 = ~I am not proud of our deeds in this matter!~

@217 = ~Ah, it is a real joy to witness this. I wish them both well. Hopefully, they will never again see a need to use magic to increase the mutual affection.~

/* c#q02005.tra */

@191 = ~'Tis funny what effects too little communication can have. Well, I guess I should keep my mouth shut, considering t' consequences of "too much" talking in my case *sigh*.~

@227 = ~Can we give him another 100 gold, just for his honesty?~

@301 = ~Children are a gift. The noise they make is music to their elders' ears.~

/* c#q04001_3_4_5.tra */

@84 = ~If he wasn't already arrested, I would have liked to tell that man my opinion quite clearly!~

@48 = ~That villain was no lunatic. I heard about his beasts guarding entrances... Did you encounter them?~

/* c#q05001.tra */

@160 = ~True, my friend, very true.~

@167 = ~Now, this really was unnecessary! Don't you think these poor parents have enough problems as it is?~

Thank you very much in advance!

Um, some possibilites. (Dynaheir seems to favour formal and older sentence construction.)

/* c#q01001.tra */

@121 = ~There is nothing funny about this situation. Let us see how we can help this man. My magic is not sufficient.~

@121 = ~There is nothing of humor in this situation. Let us see how we can help this man. My magic is not sufficient.~

@170 = ~You knew the potion wouldn't necessarily work, <CHARNAME>! I do not wish us to "help" in this way. If you don't mean to help, then let us decline our assistance the next time, so the people have a chance to look for someone that will!~

@170 = ~You knew the potion might easily fail, <CHARNAME>! I do not wish us to "help" in this way. If you do not truly mean to give aid, then let us decline our assistance the next time, so that the people have a chance to look for someone who will!~

@49 = ~I don't feel good about this egg stone. It seems a powerful magical item, though... Maybe that is the problem.~

@49 = ~I like not this egg stone. It seems a powerful magical item, though... Mayhap that is the problem.~

/* c#q05001.tra */

@177 = ~What that woman said could be interesting for the fallen paladin.~

@177 = ~What that woman said could be of interest to that poor paladin.~

@97 = ~Many men have taken great comfort from little things. Is it not so, my dear Minsc?~

@97 = ~Many men have taken great comfort from little things. Is't not so, my dear Minsc?~ // I love this line

(Roughening up the halfling sprat's language...)

/* c#q01001.tra */

@188 = ~Are they finished with their greasy behaviour?~

@188 = ~Are they finished with their greasy business?~

@244 = ~I'd make the pieces small enough so you can put them into your potion bottle, mage. Deal?~

@244 = ~I'd make the pieces small enough so you can put 'em in your potion bottle, mage. Deal?~

/* c#q02005.tra */

@174 = ~And the prize for riddle solving goes to - tadaa! - <CHARNAME>! Let's get out of here.~

@174 = ~And the prize for riddle solving goes to - tadaa! - <CHARNAME>! Let's get outta here.~

@235 = ~<CHARNAME>, next time you have too much gold, just give it to us.~

@235 = ~<CHARNAME>, next time you got too much gold, just give it to us.~

@262 = ~Don't be jealous, mage, I am sure <CHARNAME> loves you, too.~

@262 = ~Don't be jealous, mage, I 'm sure <CHARNAME> loves you, too.~

/* c#q04001_3_4_5.tra */

@77 = ~No, Xzar, we don't need another pet monster. Yer enough as it is.~

@56 = ~You have to wear that on the head, yes? Want me to put it there for you, Xzar? Let me just swing it a bit around, first, to make sure it *hits* the right spot!~

@56 = ~You gotta wear that on the head, yes? Want me to put it there for you, Xzar? Lemme just swing it a bit around, first, ta make sure it *hits* the right spot!~

/* c#q05001.tra */

@162 = ~That is due to the fact that you haven't been a young girl for quite some time now, Xzar.~

@162 = ~That's a-cos' you haven't been a young girl for quite some time now, Xzar.~ // ...what? I *really* need to play this quest...

/* c#q10001.tra */

@154 = ~I would love to have the hamster. And at least three more, please. They are so small, it's no real meal otherwise!~

@154 = ~I would love to have the hamster. And at least three more, please. They're so small, it's no real meal otherwise!~

Kagain - minor typos

/* c#q04001_3_4_5.tra */

@80 = ~I could crack your scull with my axe and see what comes out of there!~

@80 = ~I could crack your skull with my axe and see what comes out of there!~

/* c#q07001.tra */

@116 = ~Oh, come on, Blackguard. Not that you wouldn't like to try your weapon on this

@116 = ~Oh, come on, Blackguard. Not that you wouldn't like to try your weapon on this.

Yeslick - nothing I'd like to change

(Oh, yes, Montaron was a halfling, shame on me. He wants to kill my PC anyway, so it doesn't matter).

Thank you for your suggestions. Still, I thought Dynaheir talk with more "Thee" and so forth, and the - short persons with more "ye" and stuff? I have absolutely no idea how to make them sound like that.

/* c#q04001_3_4_5.tra */

@77 = ~No, Xzar, we don't need another pet monster. Yer enough as it is.~

Yer -> Ye're

I think the standard dwarf changes are:

You -> Ye

Your -> Yer

You're/You are -> Ye're

Could always start with those.

Still, I thought Dynaheir talk with more "Thee" and so forth, and the - short persons with more "ye" and stuff? I have absolutely no idea how to make them sound like that.

Point. (I'd been trying not to overdo it.) Olding Dynaheir a bit more:

/* c#q01001.tra */

@151 = ~Thou hast a twisted sense of humor, <CHARNAME>, and I will not tolerate it. This is nonsense!~

@170 = ~Thou knew the potion wouldn't necessarily work, <CHARNAME>! I do not wish us to "help" in this way. If thou dost not mean to help, then let us decline our assistance the next time, so the people have a chance to look for someone that will!~

/* c#q02005.tra */

@210 = ~Buying that necklace will help those people, although I am not sure what thou art planning to do with it.~

@240 = ~I surely hope thou took it to give it to the parents thyself, <CHARNAME>!~

@314 = ~(smiles) Thou didst quite well on your own, <CHARNAME>.~

/* c#q05001.tra */

@172 = ~Dost thou find this amusing? Why didst thou give that information to these people?~

General rules of thees and thous:

Thou = 'you' as a subject

"Thou art a fine adventurer, <CHARNAME>"

Thee = 'you' as an object

"I love thee, <CHARNAME>"

Thy = 'your' (some of the time)

"Yet thy smell is... somewhat distressing."

Thine, also = 'your' (but there's usually an 'of' with it)

"That soap of thine, most lovingly crafted with aromatic herbs - perhaps thou mightst use it?"

Verbs can usually take an 'st' or 'est' - but a little of that goes a really long way.

As to when to use thees and thous? The rules kinda shift... these days they're often used to indicate an archaic or old-fashioned speaker. However, in their heyday, they were a lot closer to the French vous and tu - formal (you) vs informal/intimate/insulting (thou). You could use thou to a child, an intimate, an inferior, or somebody who was none of those things whom you wanted to annoy... (There's an older use of thou to do with plurals, and we are totally not going there, because you will never run into it in any meaningful way and I don't understand it well enough to explain.)

I am assuming Dynaheir uses thou in the 'old-fashioned' sense.

Archived