Mod Compatibility List for EET

Sorry, I did not see your post before.

Yes, the renaming PVRZ and and updating references in the TIS files is what I am doing right now.. I tested it for some example areas, works fine. I now do the remainders.

Except for two files BH1000 and bH2201. There is something odd with those. It looks fine in the original version but gets the *EE horizontals* when converted to PVRZ?

Both BH1000.TIS and BH2201.TIS seem to have too few tiles (or WED files reference too many tiles). That's why NI can't convert them from the palette-based into the PVRZ-based TIS format. If you have a decent hex editor you could manually add some dummy tiles to the TIS files to make them work. BH1000.TIS requires one addition tile and BH2201.TIS requires four additional tiles.

Edited by argent77

Yes, the renaming PVRZ and and updating references in the TIS files is what I am doing right now.. I tested it for some example areas, works fine. I now do the remainders.

Except for two files BH1000 and bH2201. There is something odd with those. It looks fine in the original version but gets the *EE horizontals* when converted to PVRZ?

Both BH1000.TIS and BH2201.TIS seem to have too few tiles (or WED files reference too many tiles). That's why NI can't convert them from the palette-based into the PVRZ-based TIS format. If you have a decent hex editor you could manually add some dummy tiles to the TIS files to make them work. BH1000.TIS requires one addition tile and BH2201.TIS requires four additional tiles.

Thank you for your help. I have to confess that your advice is beyond my skills.I may invest the time to pursue this issue, provided that the conversion of the mod in question makes sufficient progress.

These very old mods contain some unexpected surprises and do not qualify for automated conversion for the largest part. I gained some experience with some of them, but each of those old modding pioneers had their own methods to make their ideas come true and some are far from *standards* used by most mods today. It is always interesting - and a greenhorn like me learns a lot that way.

PS - there does not seem to be a hex plugin for notepad++ 64bit version?

Edited by Roxanne

PS - there does not seem to be a hex plugin for notepad++ 64bit version?

There is a Hex Editor plugin for Notepad++. Not sure if it's already available as 64-bit version.

I'm using the standalone hex editor HxD for most of my needs.

Thanks - I already tried both of them but looks like I am ahead of time (after my last PC crashed). None of them work with windows 10 64bit...

Anyway, it is just 2 of the areas. None of them has an issue with using the old TIS though.

I managed to convert those 2 areas with your tile2ee converter, but the result were horizontal lines (just opposite of what one would expect).

Maybe I will just leave it with this strange mix of old and new for the time being.

There is another option by using NI's PNG export as an intermediate step:
1. Export TIS as PNG
2. Open Tools > Image to TIS... to export the PNG back into legacy TIS. Specify 4892 tiles for BH1000.TIS and 1591 tiles for BH2201.TIS.
3. Copy both resulting TIS into override folder and export them as PVRZ-based TIS.

The second step in combination with the third step ensures that extra tiles (such as open doors) are laid out correctly on the pvrz textures to further reduce graphical artifacts in the game.

Edited by argent77

[...] If you have a decent hex editor you could manually add some dummy tiles to the TIS files to make them work. BH1000.TIS requires one addition tile and BH2201.TIS requires four additional tiles.

This is exactly the type of thing PS_Tileset is designed to do. Adding the missing tiles to both tilesets is a total of 3 function calls away. If you upload both of the original tilesets for me, I can show you how.

1. Export TIS as PNG

2. Open Tools > Image to TIS... to export the PNG back into legacy TIS. Specify 4892 tiles for BH1000.TIS and 1591 tiles for BH2201.TIS.

3. Copy both resulting TIS into override folder and export them as PVRZ-based TIS.

The second step in combination with the third step ensures that extra tiles (such as open doors) are laid out correctly on the pvrz textures to further reduce graphical artifacts in the game.

I tried your method and it seems to have worked. The tiles are in a wild order when opening the TIS in NI but visiting the area in game it looks okay.

I hope it will work for others as well.

Thank you (once again) for your help.

Edited by Roxanne

[...] If you have a decent hex editor you could manually add some dummy tiles to the TIS files to make them work. BH1000.TIS requires one addition tile and BH2201.TIS requires four additional tiles.

This is exactly the type of thing PS_Tileset is designed to do. Adding the missing tiles to both tilesets is a total of 3 function calls away. If you upload both of the original tilesets for me, I can show you how.

Thank you for your offer.

Argent77 was faster and I tried his method meanwhile. Looks like it has worked.

I post a link to the files anyhow (too big for G3 attachment) https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t5valcg0h9wvzy/Tis_Files.zip?dl=0, just in case you are interested to test your tool on them.

1. Export TIS as PNG

I tried your method and it seems to have worked. The tiles are in a wild order when opening the TIS in NI but visiting the area in game it looks okay.

I hope it will work for others as well.

Thank you (once again) for your help.

Was the associated WED file also present in the override folder. NI needs it to properly lay out the tiles on the pvrz textures.

@Sam.: PS_Tileset looks promising. Btw, one of the TIS files in question is about 25 MB big. Does the mod handle TIS files of 16 MB or bigger?

Was the associated WED file also present in the override folder. NI needs it to properly lay out the tiles on the pvrz textures.

This may explain the NI issue: Because of the problem discussed earlier (the names of PVRZ files overlapping with EET file names), I did some steps - created the new Tis+PVRZ exporting them to a working directory. Renaming them. Putting them into override. Modifying the wed files to the new tis names. Testing it in game. So NI may have a problem with that. I assume this will all be correct if you do a proper mod install instead of development work. At least all my other several hundred Tis files from mods I made look fine.

@Sam.: PS_Tileset looks promising. Btw, one of the TIS files in question is about 25 MB big. Does the mod handle TIS files of 16 MB or bigger?

Sadly, no... I guess I should have thrown in that disclaimer with my initial statement, sorry. I'm still hoping this gets implemented sooner rather than later.

Hello Roxanne,

I only wanted to ask, is there any progress with Bonehill?

Or have you abandoned the project ?

You havent uploaded a new version yet, so I assume, the project is really dead ?

I appreciate your assistance greatly;

sorry, that I cannot assist you more....

Hello Roxanne,

I only wanted to ask, is there any progress with Bonehill?

Or have you abandoned the project ?

You havent uploaded a new version yet, so I assume, the project is really dead ?

I appreciate your assistance greatly;

sorry, that I cannot assist you more....

I have successfully tested part 1 of the mod and have returned to the Sword Coast.

The issue with the graphic files is solved.

All quests, dialogues, cutscenes, worldmap, journal entries, items etc worked perfectly for me.

I took Fabio along for that part as well and found no issue with him. He left party and stayed on the island just as intended in the mod.

All the fixes have been uploaded to github. When you download from there now, you will have the version I used (github can be updated immediately with all fixes I introduce.)

It will be some days until my game reaches part 2 and I can continue playing that part.

I am confident by now that all major issues have been fixed.

I have added the test version to EET compatibility list with the warning that it is still work-in-progress, so I hope some more people venture to test it and provide feedback.

Edited by Roxanne

1. Export TIS as PNG

I have found one more Tis file like that from another mod RR3300 from RoT.. I assume a similar treatment may help. Just - I have no idea how you calculate those rile numbers (it ofers me 2820 per default).