where does Baldur.bcs run in the script heirarchy

Fiann of the Silver Hand

it runs on the default level. But the global script runs at a different time than area/object scripts, so this doesn't have much importance.

Unless you want to replace it or assign a script to another slot.

Note: the slot won't be saved anywhere.

I've seen a few places that people recommend to not put scripts in Baldur ....

There's a clear reason why, because if you screw up in that file, the whole rest of the game doesn't work... as the baldur.bcs is always running, if you lock it into an infinite loop, none of the others non-looped actions are ever taken. Well unless your action is at the very end, and that's really unusual.

Such as the drow city won't turn hostile towards you, the drow weapons won't disintergrate in the outside, Aerie won't talk the J talks, romances won't end even if the party member is dead, a quest giver won't show up to relay you a message from your guild house and other plot points, Jaheira won't return to your group after she went away, and others just to name a few.

The file, just like all the other scripts, is run 15 times a second normally, so what ever the hierarchy is, it really doesn't matter.

I think if you are installing a mod that modifies baldur.bcs, the expectation is that it will work properly because it has been tested. I have put thousands of lines of code in and never had a problem, because of testing. There is nothing wrong with it if the code is clean of errors. It's not hard to make sure the script works properly and I think there is too much taboo about scripting in it.

Wolpak: I don't think anyone wants to release mods with bugs and some bugs will just slip your testing so your comment is kind of a no-brainer.

I always thought the reason not to put too much into Baldur.bcs is because the script will slow the game down if too huge.

There will always be bugs you can't find. You can break baldur.bcs and still unable to find it with simple test(s).

If you have a script loop that simply denies access to everything beneath it.

Or if you have a less frequent condition.

Combine the two, and you will have extremely obscure bugs.

Archived