Won't install in OSX

Otis1975

Hello. I cannot get this to open on OS X. I'm using a 2012 Macbook pro with the latest updates and using BGT Weidu. I follow the instructions, but when I click on the command file, it tells me I do not have access to the file, even though I should. The message reads:

"The file setup-bg1npc.command could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges. To view or change access privileges, select the file in the Finder and chose File>Get Info."

I do so, changing "read only" to "read & write" wherever I can and making the computer completely accessible, but I still get the same error. Any and all help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

I checked the v20 for OSX download. Neither file, setup-bg1npc or setup-bg1npc.command has the execute bit set. So, both files need the execute bit set, as per CrevsDaak's instructions. It's a common issue when an "OSX version" is built on a Windows machine. The execute bits don't get set properly.

Still no good with that particular mod. However, it does work on several others (and doesn't on others). The most common thing I'm seeing in the terminal window is "Bad CPU type in executable", which I'm assuming means a flaw in the file. Ah, well. Perhaps the new version will address the problem. Thanks for the help.

Otis, sorry it didn't even occur to me that bg1npc v20 had a PowerPC version of WeiDU.

When you see that error it's due to the weidu shipped being so old it's from when Macs were PowerPC based (or at least when Rosetta still worked for PowerPC binaries on Intel). ;)

Download a copy of the latest weidu here
http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=29284.0

Make a copy of the 'weidu' binary file and rename it setup-bg1npc. Then install the mod.

Otis, sorry it didn't even occur to me that bg1npc v20 had a PowerPC version of WeiDU.

When you see that error it's due to the weidu shipped being so old it's from when Macs were PowerPC based. ;)

Download a copy of the latest weidu here

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=29284.0

Make a copy of the 'weidu' binary file and rename it setup-bg1npc. Then install the mod.

Just to make sure I'm clear, is the file I'm looking for called "weidu"? I did as you said, but it's still not working. The terminal screen says I need to install it in an Infinity Games folder, which I don't have (my games are via GOG.com). I'll try it with some other mods and see what shakes loose.

Yes, it is the file called 'weidu'.

By "Infinity Games folder" it means the game folder of an Infinity Engine game (e.g., BG1, BG2, PST, IWD, etc..). It is the folder that contains the CHITIN.KEY file. OSX likes to create a folder to put the files from an extracted archive, e.g., it puts the files from OSX-BG1NPC-v20.rar into a folder called "OSX-bg1npc-v20". If you're trying to run the mod installation from that folder, it won't work. You'll need to move the files from that folder into the game folder. You should have a "bg1npc" folder, bg1npc.tp2, setup-bg1npc, and setup-bg1npc.command in your game folder. Of course, also you'll need to replace the file 'setup-bg1npc' that came with the download with your renamed weidu binary.

Yes, it is the file called 'weidu'.

By "Infinity Games folder" it means the game folder of an Infinity Engine game (e.g., BG1, BG2, PST, IWD, etc..). It is the folder that contains the CHITIN.KEY file. OSX likes to create a folder to put the files from an extracted archive, e.g., it puts the files from OSX-BG1NPC-v20.rar into a folder called "OSX-bg1npc-v20". If you're trying to run the mod installation from that folder, it won't work. You'll need to move the files from that folder into the game folder. You should have a "bg1npc" folder, bg1npc.tp2, setup-bg1npc, and setup-bg1npc.command in your game folder. Of course, also you'll need to replace the file 'setup-bg1npc' that came with the download with your renamed weidu binary.

I think that's got it. I appreciate all y'all's help with this, you have been most patient. This should basically work for most of the mods I've been so far unable to install, I assume? Once again, much obliged.

I think that's got it. I appreciate all y'all's help with this, you have been most patient. This should basically work for most of the mods I've been so far unable to install, I assume? Once again, much obliged.

For the most part, yes. However, if you have older mods that install sound files (e.g., voiced dialog lines) or new areas, they may have bundled versions of SoX (used to convert .ogg files packaged with mods to .wavs for the BG engine) or tisunpack (used to unpack area tilesets) that are for PowerPC Macs instead of Intel Macs. You'll need to replace those binaries too. They are usually stored inside the mod's folder (bg1npc v20 doesn't use either). An intel-compatible version of tisunpack should be in that WeiDU v237 download. You can get SoX at http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/

Archived