RE for BG I?

Vigdis

I don't know if someone came up with this question already, but I'm just wandering if there will be a BG I version of this mod... you know, something like...*in her best town crier voice* Ever wanted to bid a really unforgettable farewell to Hull? Comfort Joseph's wife after her husband's most tragic death? Expierience Joia's gratitude after you bring back her flamedance ring? Celebrate your grand heist with Narlen Darkwalk?

This sort of thing. I believe it would be an interesting addition to the game. What do ye think? :)

Not really; a BG2 mod gets eight or ten times the audience of a BG1 one. BG1 NPC is popular, since it's a comprehensive mod; still, Kelsey gets many more downloads. Same with RE for BG1/BG2.

But that's not the point. The point is, there are far too many bright and beautiful men and women in BG2 not to desire them. BG1 is bleak, character-wise. (With Scar and Duke Eltan, yeeeeeshhhh...) Moreover, BG1 is more virtuous. Evil opportunities are few and far between, and in most times it's like kicking a puppy. Monogamy is almost expected of one.

Besides, in BG1 CHARNAME is not, cannot be sophisticated. Naturally wise, kind and good - yes. Still, just a kid or a young girl; that's how all romance and friendship partners, from Dynaheir to Kivan, treat him or her. Thus, it's more difficult to imagine him or her hopping from bed to bed.

I have an eclectic nature and sometimes when I read a thread a thought will pop into my head from off left field and I'll run with it - so bear with me a moment.

I have a book of medieval misericords in churches and monastic settings and a large number of them are of a sexual nature, deal with puinishment (usually spanking) or conflicts between the sexes.

I suppose in BG1 with the pc growing up in what is basically a monastic setting the modern sensibility would think of the pc as being quite inexperienced. If you were to apply our knowledge of medieval and dark ages society to the game however this would be very wrong.

There is a lot of legal evidence from the Irish Law Codes onwards governing the behavour of men and women (usually relating to money and property in the event of the failure of the relationship and to protect rich women from forced marraiges). It is clear that family and marraige were important social and political issues HOWEVER it is only with the rise of an institutional Christian Church that 'Sin' as a concept relating to ones sexual behaviour becomes a moral issue required to be kept in the private domain.

In the north of europe, families would sleep, eat and live communally. Mother and father "at it" would probably be happening under animal-skins in the adult area up in the rafters of the long-house... Exposure to sex, and sexual expression, was much more widespread and explicit than we probably would realise. I think that CHARNAME would be very aware of sex, even in a monastic setting.

So BG1? Loads of scope and also quite a range of settings and cultures to play with (Urban, Rural, Monastic...) which could be reflected in CHARNAME's exposure to a bigger, wider and more risky world.

Thanks to anyone who stayed through this long, rambling, reply

G

I did. :)

I suspect the creators of the game didn't go this far in their heads, though. I mean, judging by Haer'Dalis's introductory dialogue, the designers were wonderfully smart and creative, but in Candlekeep, they went with a basically family-friendly "And here's where our story starts" setting.

So, if we re-read "The Name of the Rose" and introduce, say, a deep, sensual, questionable and profoundly troubling romance with Dumbledore Ulraunt, we can do it - we can include references, flashbacks, anything! - but then we step outside and talk to the monk who teaches us to "press this arrow button", and then it's... well... the moment is lost, I would say.

In BG2, it's cooler: it starts with torture, it starts medieval, it's even a little bit scary. I've a feeling I could go anywhere from there. Not so much in BG1, though. There's fanfic, you could go far with fanfic(SisterVigilante's Fury, for one; or Baldur's Gate by Vegetius), but actual BG1 setting... Sigh.

Besides, in BG1 CHARNAME is not, cannot be sophisticated. Naturally wise, kind and good - yes. Still, just a kid or a young girl; that's how all romance and friendship partners, from Dynaheir to Kivan, treat him or her. Thus, it's more difficult to imagine him or her hopping from bed to bed.

Touche. I believe no one expects CHARNAME to turn into a Coran/Safana. But still, this boy/girl is young, on the road, and finally free from Gorion's control. It is likely that in such circumstances he/she would want to taste this newly gained freedom in every way possible. Besides, twenty years is helluvalot time. I can't imagine a person (and a son/daughter of Bhaal at that) reaching that age and staying perfectly innocent, even if raised in a library, among monks and sages.

Of course, the encounters would have to be written differenty than those for BG II (CHARNAME is not a battle - hardened adventurer yet) but I don't see the nature of the PC as a reason why such a mod should not be done.

IMO It depends on stats and alignment. Someone with CHA of 18 shouldn't have much trouble with getting sex and should be desired by many characters.

but then we step outside and talk to the monk who teaches us to "press this arrow button", and then it's... well... the moment is lost, I would say.

Those guys are just begging to be removed from game.

Charname's really not that much of a kid - s/he's 20 at the start of BG1. Yes, it's highly conceivable that Charname would be a virgin, but on the other hand, s/he could have had a fling with a guard or stable boy or whatever. I guess that's up to the player to decide.

After leaving Candlekeep, you can look at it two ways: that good ol' Charname is traumatised at Gorion's death and terrified at being hunted by Sarevok and assorted assassins and bandits. Or that Charname is like a middle class kid who has just left home to go to university and, drunk on sudden freedom, has shagged their way through campus and caught three STDs by the end of fresher's week.

I generally think Charname would have other things on their mind for most of BG1, but, well, that's how I play my character. Others my choose to differ.

But that's not the point. The point is, there are far too many bright and beautiful men and women in BG2 not to desire them. BG1 is bleak, character-wise. (With Scar and Duke Eltan, yeeeeeshhhh...) Moreover, BG1 is more virtuous. Evil opportunities are few and far between, and in most times it's like kicking a puppy. Monogamy is almost expected of one.

Blah. BG2 isn't so different. It still has those stupid noninteractive harlots.

Guest Guest_JoseCohen

And he/she'll never get to be that way unless they start somewhere...

:)

Blah. BG2 isn't so different. It still has those stupid noninteractive harlots.

It's like they wanted to show what some people have to do to survive, but they didn't dare to go all the way into the darkness? "Let's say no and make Charname go away at the last moment." Guess I couldn't blame them, if they wanted to focus on quests and the story. At least we got some bioware romances.

Unless we count the backrooms in CC, but that's just a general sleepover without the party.

Guess I couldn't blame them, if they wanted to focus on quests and the story.

That would make BG a QSSEG - Quest Solving Story Exploring Game.

As for going all the way into darkness...

They already went all the way - my PC had over 500 kills when I finished the game and often lost the whole party. It would make him/her an insane butcher.

As for going all the way into darkness...

They already went all the way - my PC had over 500 kills when I finished the game and often lost the whole party. It would make him/her an insane butcher.

That's true, but ain't it like that always, both in games and tv in general? Take a common action movie. Unless the person that kills someone does it in a really sick way, noone usually cares. In most games, you can kill something or someone, it's just another day at the computer. You *cannot* take it to the bedchambers. Maybe you can, but it's rare. I know no such games.

Personally, I do admit I have easier to shrug off a random Gibberling kill, because it goes so fast. Dialogue sticks.

That's true, but ain't it like that always, both in games and tv in general? Take a common action movie. Unless the person that kills someone does it in a really sick way, noone usually cares. In most games, you can kill something or someone, it's just another day at the computer.

Well, it just shows that computer gaming fails as an art form. Killing shouldn't be trivial unless the game is deliberately sociopathic, like GTA or Carmageddon.

Somehow it looks like going to a filthy fantasy world where death is a commonplace and there's no real safety is an "escape from terrible reality". There are games that can really convey the grittiness of combat, like Close Combat 3: The Russian Front or Soldier of Fortune (mostly with great sound effects) and they aren't nice and pleasant.

Yet, in Baldur's Gate, where we are supposed to roleplay an inexperienced kid, combat is "fun" and death is meaningless.

You *cannot* take it to the bedchambers. Maybe you can, but it's rare. I know no such games.

I don't understand your train of thought.

Personally, I do admit I have easier to shrug off a random Gibberling kill, because it goes so fast. Dialogue sticks.

That's because of lack of proper sound effects/narration and quantity over quality approach to combat.

Archived