IWD2 kits (needed for dialogue triggers)

K4thos

Considering there are dialogues in IWD2 content that are meant to show up only for particular kits that doesn't exist in BG I'd like to propose few new kits that will be included in this mod. Due to 3rd edtion rules they can't be ported as they are to the 2nd edition game. Most of below kits have been ported based on descriptions I found in other mods (whole code and spell resources are new but of course I will ask for permissions to use the concept before release). Please share your feedback what should be changed.

Paladin of Ilmater (based on Holy Warrior of Suffering by yellow hat elminster)

DIVINATE OF ILMATER: Divinate of Ilmater are widely known for their willingness to put themselves in harms way to protect the downtrodden, the poor, and those who suffer. Though they are most often found living among the poorer denizens of Faerun's cities they can be found any place in the realms where there is suffering.

Advantages:
– +4 bonus to Save Throws vs. Death.
– 1st level: Gains an additional use of Lay on Hands.
– 3rd level: May use the Cure Disease ability once per day.
– 5th level: May cast Favor of Ilmater once per day.
– 7th level: May cast Champion's Strength once per day.
– 9th level: May cast Entropy Shield once per day.

Disadvantages:
– Restricted to two weapon slots.
– May not achieve Mastery with Two Handed Swords.

Disadvantages if IWD:EE base paladin kit is not disabled:

– Restricted to two weapon slots.
– May not achieve Mastery with Two Handed Swords.
– May not use Smite Evil.
– Is not granted Divine Courage.

Paladin of Helm (based on d20 paladins)

DIVINATE OF HELM: Paladins of Helm follow the teachings of the god of guardians. They are dedicated to defending the weak and protecting important places against assault.

Advantages:
– 1st level: Gains Aura of Good passive ability.

AURA OF GOOD: This spell functions like Detect Evil, except that it detects the auras of good creatures, clerics or paladins of good deities once per round.

– 3rd level: Gains Aura of Courage passive ability.

AURA OF COURAGE: The Paladin becomes immune to fear (magical or otherwise). In addition, allies within 10 feet have their Morale reset each round.

– 5th level: May cast Divine Bond once per day.

DIVINE BOND: Divinate of Helm forms a divine bond with The Watcher which allows the paladin to enhance the weapon as a standard action by calling upon the aid of a celestial spirit for 1 turn per paladin level. When called, the spirit causes the weapon to shed light. At 5th level, this spirit grants the weapon a +1 Enhancement bonus. For every four levels beyond 5th, the weapon gains another +1 Enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +5 at 21th level.

– 8th level: Gains Aura of Resolve passive ability.

AURA OF RESOLVE: Paladin becomes immune to charm spells and spell-like abilities. In addition, once per round allies within 10 feet gains a +2 bonus to Saving Throws against all spells that belong to the Enchantment school.

Disadvantages:
– May not turn undead.
– May not Specialize in ranged weapons.

– May not turn undead.
– May not Specialize in ranged weapons.
– Is not granted Divine Courage.

Paladin of Mystra (based on Knight of the Mystic Fire by yellow hat elminster)

DIVINATE OF MYSTRA: Paladins in service of Mystra, Our Lady of Spells, often find themselves traveling frequently in the service of their god. Mystra herself seeks to preserve the stability of the Weave, and has tasked her clergy and paladins to act with this in mind. Her Divinates, who represent some of her most faithful warriors, are sent out throughout the realms to investigate magic users as needed.

Advantages:
– +2 bonus to Save Throws vs. Spell.
– 9th level: Casting time reduced by 3.
– Four arcane spells are added to <PRO_HISHER> repertoire, all the way up to the 4th level. These are listed below:
1st level: Magic Missiles.
2nd level: Glitterdust.
3rd level: Dispel Magic.
4th level: Minor Sequencer.

Disadvantages:
– May not use Lay on Hands.
– May not cast Protection From Evil as an innate ability.

– May not use Lay on Hands.
– May not cast Cure Disease.
– May not cast Protection From Evil as an innate ability.

Old Order Monk (based on Monk of the Old Order by yellow hat elminster)

OLD ORDER MONK: Monks of the Old Order do not worship any deity, but are devoted to the philosophy espoused by a deity who is either now dead or has never existed on the Material Plane of Toril. The monks contradict themselves on this point, but the deity's identity isn't important to them, it's the message they care about. The Old Order never has huge monasteries, but has spread widely throughout Faerûn.

Advantages:
– None

Disadvantages:
– Alignment restricted to any lawful.

Broken Ones Monk (based on Monk of the Weeping Friars by yellow hat elminster)

BROKEN ONES MONK: Members of the Order of the Broken Ones venerate Ilmater, god of suffereing. They strive to endure the pain of their training as well as the pain of others.

Advantages:
– +2 bonus to Save Throws vs. Death.
– 1st level: Gains an additional use of Lay on Hands. Lay on Hands used by this monk can also work on others.
– 5th level: May cast Favor of Ilmater once per day.
– 13th level: May cast Entropy Shield once per day.

Disadvantages:
– Alignment restricted to lawful good, neutral good, and lawful neutral.
– May not use Stunning Blow ability.
– May not use Quivering Palm ability.

Priest of Ilmater (based on Painbearer of Ilmater kit from Divine Remix)

PRIEST OF ILMATER: Ilmater, also known as the Crying God, is the god of suffering and perseverance. Taught that enduring the suffering of others is the greatest act of sacrifice, Painbearers of Ilmater can be found wherever the weak are oppressed. Painbearers are known for their charity, humility and their un-shaking faith during even the most trying of circumstances.

Advantages:
– May use Lay on Hands ability once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 5 levels thereafter.
– May cast Ilmater's Endurance once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 10 levels thereafter.

ILMATER'S ENDURANCE: The Painbearer draws upon Ilmater to be able to shoulder the burden of trials ahead. For 1 round per level of the Painbearer, the cleric gains +2 to saves, doubles HP, is immune to panic and disease, and will stand firm in the face of any charge or force.

Disadvantages:
– Alignment restricted to lawful good, neutral good, and lawful neutral.

Priest of Selûne (inspired by domain spells available for Silverstar of Selûne in IWD2)

PRIEST OF SELÛNE: Selûne is often called the Moonmaiden for her connection to the silver moon that orbits Faerun. She is the goddess of the moon and travelers. Her priests, called Silverstars, travel far and wide to help the oppressed and explore lost places. Silverstars are known for their open-minded tolerance and their hatred of bigotry.

Advantages:
– May cast Moon Motes once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 3 levels thereafter.

MOON MOTES: Moon motes calls upon Selûne's connection with moonlight and magic to invoke a spray of glowing spheres. The glowing spheres cause 4d4 points of magical energy damage to every creature caught in its path, with creatures rolling their Saving Throw vs. Spell sustaining half damage. Undead suffer double damage from the glowing spheres.

– May cast Moonblade once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 5 levels thereafter.
– May cast Wall of Moonlight once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 10 levels thereafter.

Disadvantages:
– Alignment restricted to neutral good, chaotic good, and chaotic neutral.
– May not turn undead.

Priest of Oghma (based on Lorekeeper of Oghma kit from Divine Remix)

PRIEST OF OGHMA: Oghma, the Lord of Knowledge, is the patron of bards and the god of knowledge. Oghma's Lorekeepers are interested in recovering lost secrets, preserving knowledge and spreading information freely. Lorekeepers are known for their honesty and their inquisitive nature.

Advantages:
– +10 bonus to base Lore score on each level.
– May cast Secret Word once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 5 levels thereafter.

Disadvantages:
– Alignment restricted to lawful neutral, true neutral, and chaotic neutral.
– May not turn undead.

Priest of Bane (based on? Don't remember and can't find the source. I don't think I came up with all this stuff myself, so please let me know if this kit looks familiar)

PRIEST OF BANE: Also known as the Black Hand, Bane is the god of strife, hatred and tyranny. The Dreadmasters, his priests, can be found wherever the strong and cruel prey upon the weak. They are known for their manipulative, scheming and malicious attitude.

Advantages:
– Immune to charm, fear and morale failure.
– May cast Cloak of Fear once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 4 levels thereafter.
– May cast Domination once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 5 levels thereafter.

Disadvantages:
– Alignment restricted to lawful evil, neutral evil, and chaotic evil.
– May not turn undead.

Priest of Mask (by Lava Del'Vortel)

PRIEST OF MASK: The Lord of Shadows, Mask, is the god of thieves and shadows. His servants, the Demarchs, often help small bands of thieves in their efforts. Many can be found as advisors in thieves' guilds. They are known for their deceptive nature and their avarice. It is rumored that the Cult of Mask maintains a large network of informants throughout the cities of the realm. It is also rumored that this network provides employment for all sorts of thieves, beggars and thugs.

Advantages:
– May cast Apparel with Shadows once per day.

APPAREL WITH SHADOWS: This spell enables a priest to mask any one being. By touch, the caster provides +35% Hide in Shadows bonus, +20% Moving Silently bonus and renders the target undetectable to divination spells for 1 round per level.

– Five arcane spells are added to <PRO_HISHER> repertoire, all the way up to the 5th level. These are listed below:
1st level: Reflected Image.
2nd level: Invisibility.
3rd level: Invisibility 10' Radius.
4th level: Improved Invisibility.
5th level: Shadow Door.

Disadvantages:
– Alignment restricted to chaotic neutral, lawful evil, neutral evil, and chaotic evil.
– Dual-Classing restricted to Thieves.

Priest of Tempus (already imported with IWD:EE content)

Did you consider an alternate approach, i.e. adapting the dialogues to the EET kits?

nope, too much work to do it (and I'm not really a writer, I could ask AWizardDidIt, but still it sounds like something not really that important). Usually if there is a check for particular kit like PALADIN_MYSTRA there is also a check for PALADIN_ALL etc. (of course after my DLG conversion since IWD2 uses quite different triggers due to engine differences). So you will still get appropriate dialogue for paladin/cleric/monk, just not unique to your particular kit.

However, that may also be done by a mod later on, once the IWD mod becomes available.

everything related to IWD-in-EET will be in the package. There are optional tweaks included that allows to disable certain features of the mod (like IWD:EE changes to the kits and spell progression, new spells available for players, new kits etc.). As for mod compatibility both Divine Remix and Faiths and Powers will need to have compatibility code because they use different IDS names for above mentioned kits. Alternatively I could add check for them in dialogues but I think it will be better if they simply overwrite existing kit when installed on top of IWD-in-EET rather than create duplicated one (I will ask subtledoctor what approach he thinks would be appropriate though since he is maintaining these mods).

I see your point.

I just keep this in mind for possible mod options, especially for NPCs with certain kits. You could extend the dialogue options with e.g.~Ah, you have a priestess of Umberlee in your party...~ and then go from there. Similar to what NPC Stronghold did for the old game...

Nevermind...walks off, scribbling down notes for further plans...

Advantages:

– Level 1: Gains Aura of Good passive ability.

AURA OF GOOD: This spell functions like Detect Evil, except that it detects the auras of good creatures, clerics or paladins of good deities.

– Level 3: Gains Aura of Courage passive ability.

AURA OF COURAGE: Paladin becomes immune to fear (magical or otherwise). In addition, each ally within 10 feet has thier Morale reset.

You say passive ability but since there are no intervals/durations in the description it kind of sounds like it is a normal active special ability?

You say passive ability but since there are no intervals/durations in the description it kind of sounds like it is a normal active special ability?

it works all the time. No need to activate it. Aura of Good also sends permanent protection from it, so once the good alignment is detected (neat green animation on creature) it won't show up again on that particular cre. As for other auras the effect on allies is implemented based on the way "OHNSHLD1.ITM" aura works (reapplied every few seconds if character is close enough paladin), but it is added on paladin as CRE effect (timing 9) rather than equipped item. You can see which party members are currently under paladin's aura via portrait icon and appropriate string displayed on character's screen.

btw. when it comes to Aura of Courage I would prefer to add bonus to morale (the same way that bonus to Saving Throws works in Aura of Resolve) rather than morale reset but as far as I know it's not possible to implement on EE engine - it results in morale break if you pass either min or max morale value.

I see.

Maybe the description should be a bit more detailed like:

This ability functions like Detect Evil, except that it detects the auras of good creatures, clerics or paladins of good deities once per round.

The Paladin becomes immune to fear (magical or otherwise). In addition, allies within 10 feet have their Morale reset each round.

Good point, Ulb, thanks. I've updated the description.

btw. I'm open to completely redesigning these kits, so if someone has better concept for particular deity advantages/disadvantages it could as well replace any of the above propositions. Same for balancing and usefulness concerns – feedback would be appreciated.

PRIEST OF SELÛNE: Selûne is often called the Moonmaiden for her connection to the silver moon that orbits Faerun. She is the goddess of the moon and travelers. Her priests, called Silverstars, travel far and wide to help the oppressed and explore lost places. Silverstars are known for their open-minded tolerance and their hatred of bigotry.

Advantages:

– May cast Moon Motes once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 3 levels thereafter.

MOON MOTES: Moon motes calls upon Selûne's connection with moonlight and magic to invoke a spray of glowing spheres. The glowing spheres cause 4d4 points of magical energy damage to every creature caught in its path, with creatures rolling their Saving Throw vs. Spell sustaining half damage. Undead suffer double damage from the glowing spheres.

– May cast Moonblade once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 5 levels thereafter.

– May cast Wall of Moonlight once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 10 levels thereafter.

Disadvantages:

– May not turn undead.

Looks off.

Better version:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

– May not turn undead.

Abilities:

<possible ABILITY 2 NAME>: <ability 2 description>

etc..

Or something similar... pi pi pii.

Paladin of Helm is worse.

Jarno, consider letting Beamdog know if you don't like this kit description style. Similarly to item descriptions vanilla kits follows strict rules how they are presented (at least in English). All those enters, uppercases, order etc. looks the same in vanilla kits. I've seen that you gave the same feedback to Ulb on SHS. Check it once again and you will notice that his descriptions look similar to what is posted above.

My concern is, you add a bunch of "semi-official" EET kits based on various mods, and then what if a player also installs those mods? Now some dialogue on the game won't trigger for my Silverstar of Selune (DR) but will trigger for the Silverstar of Selune (I2iEET).

I know this is going to sound like more work. But: perhaps you could create a function that will make those dialogues work for other kits. And then modders could apply that function when installing, of not, at their discretion. This way your priest of Oghma would work, the DR priest of Oghma would work, the FnP priest of Oghma would work, etc. etc. Way better experience for players, because they would only have to focus on what their character would focus on: "am I a priest of Oghma? Yes? Oh look, the game recognizes that." Instead of worrying about which mod's kit they are using.

Separately, if you use any of my kits, I would much rather you simply clone the kit in its entirety. Or at least use identical names for the important stuff, like the kit name and .2da file. That way I could put something like

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~myclab.2da~ BEGIN
... before installing the kit. And you could do the same. That way there would only be one identical Nightrunner of Mask (for instance) and whichever of us is the one to install it, it will work with these dialogues either way.
My concern is, you add a bunch of "semi-official" EET kits based on various mods, and then what if a player also installs those mods? Now some dialogue on the game won't trigger for my Silverstar of Selune (DR) but will trigger for the Silverstar of Selune (I2iEET).

quote from my post above:

As for mod compatibility both Divine Remix and Faiths and Powers will need to have compatibility code because they use different IDS names for above mentioned kits. Alternatively I could add check for them in dialogues but I think it will be better if they simply overwrite existing kit when installed on top of IWD-in-EET rather than create duplicated one (I will ask subtledoctor what approach he thinks would be appropriate though since he is maintaining these mods).

----------

I know this is going to sound like more work. But: perhaps you could create a function that will make those dialogues work for other kits. And then modders could apply that function when installing, of not, at their discretion. This way your priest of Oghma would work, the DR priest of Oghma would work, the FnP priest of Oghma would work, etc. etc. Way better experience for players, because they would only have to focus on what their character would focus on: "am I a priest of Oghma? Yes? Oh look, the game recognizes that." Instead of worrying about which mod's kit they are using.

Having 3 (or even 2) different priests of Oghma in kit selection screen seems a bit weird to me. Wouldn't it be better to simply overwrite IWD-in-EET kit with yours? That's what happens when ADD_KIT is used with IDS name that already exists in game, right? (when I now think about it I don't think I ever tested it, so not sure if this is the case) Then it would be a matter of using variable in the tp2 that assigns different IDS name if IWD-in-EET is detected.

Dialogue patching is also possible. The function is as simple as:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.+\.DLG~ ~override~
  DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH BEGIN
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~\(Kit([^,]+,\)oldIDSKitName)~ ~\1newIDSKitName~
  END
BUT_ONLY

but it would slow down your mod installation.

Alternativelly we could come up with a single IDS name for all those kit variants in IWD-in-EET, Divine Remix and Faiths and Powers, so that the last one installed always overwrites previous one (notice that IWD-in-EET is early in install order and dedicated kit mods are usually installed at the end).

edit:

Separately, if you use any of my kits, I would much rather you simply clone the kit in its entirety. Or at least use identical names for the important stuff, like the kit name and .2da file. That way I could put something like

first post is initial sketch for those kits. They will be likely adjusted based on feedback (hence this topic). Even now some of them have been altered. Unless you're going to make the same changes cloning doesn't seem like a right approach. Some spells and all 2da files for these kits are generated on the fly by weidu code using vanilla resources, rather than pre-made files. Priest names follows vanilla kit naming convention for priests, so I'd prefer to keep the "Priest of Mask" rather than "Nightrunner of Mask" (not even sure how those priests are referred to in IWD2 dialogues - if there is a specific name used there I may change the kit name / description to match the dialogue).

I think I misunderstood your post. If by cloning you mean that we should use the same name for 2da than no problem with that.

That way I could put something like
ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~myclab.2da~ BEGIN ... before installing the kit. And you could do the same. That way there would only be one identical Nightrunner of Mask (for instance) and whichever of us is the one to install it, it will work with these dialogues either way.

In IWD-in-EET case such check is not needed since it should be installed before any tweak mods (preferably somewhere at the beginning, so that other mods can edit the content as they wish). For this reason I think that overwriting the kit by other kit mods installed later is a good idea. If you're going to skip kit installation if 2da file is already present than player won't have a choice which one to use. A bit extreme solution considering extra kits in IWD-in-EET are used to enable all dialogue options and don't aim to replace dedicated kit mods.

I've never seen ADD_KIT used with the same IDE name as an existing kit, so I don't know what happens.

My 2nd suggestion is just that, if you want to use something like the FnP Nightrunner... simply use the FnP Nightrunner. This mod can have a check for FnP's version already being installed, and FnP can have a check for this version being installed, and each will skip it if the other one already exists. That way the player will only get one version, and because the dialogue in question uses the IDS name that both versions share, it will work no matter what. You certainly have my permission to use any of my kits in this way.

On the other hand, if you want to make a priest of Mask that is different from ours, then you should simply make a new kit. I don't think there is s problem having multiple priests of the same deity, for instance. It's actually lore-correct that deities had different sects with different characteristics; no reason the game shouldn't reflect that.

As for naming, what we are doing lately with the divine-class kits is to put simply "cleric of Mask" in the all-lowercase string, so that is what appears in the kit menu, but put "Nightrunner of Mask" in the mixed-case and description strings, so that is what you see in the record screen. It keeps things clean when choosing among kits, but keeps the flavor of having a more specific kit name elsewhere.

As for naming, what we are doing lately with the divine-class kits is to put simply "cleric of Mask" in the all-lowercase string, so that is what appears in the kit menu, but put "Nightrunner of Mask" in the mixed-case and description strings, so that is what you see in the record screen. It keeps things clean when choosing among kits, but keeps the flavor of having a more specific kit name elsewhere.

Erhm, which of the strings does the "cleric of Mask" refer to ?

Cause the kit name itself should be "cleric of mask", while the second string should be "Cleric of Mask", and the description should start with "CLERIC OF MASK:

..." aka they are set in that order in the add_kit function...

Archived