BG1: Problems and bug reports

berelinde

Hello,

I've installed the Gavin mod via the BiG world project along with several others. So far, I really, really like Gavin as a character but something has gone wrong with his first (?) quest. My party received a messenger saying that he needed to go back to the Morningstar Temple. Since we were about to enter the mines I selected the, "We need to finish our current quest" option. As it turns out I made short work of the mines and made my way back to the temple...but the quest didn't trigger.

Now in other...let's call them "alternative" play through... my PC forgot about the quest and Gavin had to remind me. Then I was killed and had to go back to before the reminder and start again. However in my...let's call it actual play through ... even though it has been several days since the messenger came through I have not received that reminder.

I've done some googling and read through these forums but I haven't found a solution for this problem. I suppose if I dug a little deeper I would find the answer I require, but every time I start reading I learn something about the mod that I really didn't want to know. Good stuff...stuff that would have liked to have been surprised by in the game. So I'm really hoping someone will just spoon feed me the answers I need without spoiling anymore surprises.

Please let me know if there is anything you need from me.

Thanks,

simAlity

Hello,

I've installed the Gavin mod via the BiG world project along with several others. So far, I really, really like Gavin as a character but something has gone wrong with his first (?) quest. My party received a messenger saying that he needed to go back to the Morningstar Temple. Since we were about to enter the mines I selected the, "We need to finish our current quest" option. As it turns out I made short work of the mines and made my way back to the temple...but the quest didn't trigger.

Now in other...let's call them "alternative" play through... my PC forgot about the quest and Gavin had to remind me. Then I was killed and had to go back to before the reminder and start again. However in my...let's call it actual play through ... even though it has been several days since the messenger came through I have not received that reminder.

I've done some googling and read through these forums but I haven't found a solution for this problem. I suppose if I dug a little deeper I would find the answer I require, but every time I start reading I learn something about the mod that I really didn't want to know. Good stuff...stuff that would have liked to have been surprised by in the game. So I'm really hoping someone will just spoon feed me the answers I need without spoiling anymore surprises.

Please let me know if there is anything you need from me.

Thanks,

simAlity

You need to look up some globals in order to narrow your problem down because Gavin's quests depend on what you already might have done in the game:

- did you kill Basilius?

- did you kill Mutamin?

- did you meet Valeria?

In the Temple you taklked to the priest to get a quest?

Look for the following globals

- B!GavinMessenger1

- B!GavinMessenger2

- B!GavinMessenger3

either with Near Infinity, EE Keeper or with console.

GetGlobal("B!GavinMessenger1","Global") or 2 or 3

Then report which of these globals is greater than 1.

You need to look up some globals in order to narrow your problem down because Gavin's quests depend on what you already might have done in the game:

- did you kill Basilius?

- did you kill Mutamin?

- did you meet Valeria?

- B!GavinMessenger1

- B!GavinMessenger2

- B!GavinMessenger3

Basilius is dead

Don't know how Mutamin is yet

I've seen Valeria but haven't spoken to her yet.

And I've been back to the temple several times but haven't gotten the quest yet.

Variables:

B!GavinMessenger1 is 3

The other two messenger variables are absent.

Edited by simality

- did you kill Basilius?

- did you kill Mutamin?

- did you meet Valeria?

- B!GavinMessenger1

- B!GavinMessenger2

- B!GavinMessenger3

Basilius is dead

And I've been back to the temple several times but haven't gotten the quest yet.

Variables:

B!GavinMessenger1 is 3

This looks like the Basilius quest is finished (with otr without Gavin) and the Mutamin quest is not yet started, so the temple has no task for you. There is a five day wait in between quests or even more depending on what timers you selected at install.

You can check if everything is fine by looking at these

- Global("B!GavinBassilusQuest","GLOBAL") should be greater than 4

- Global("B!GavinMutaminQuest","GLOBAL") should be 1

- Global("B!GavinMutaminQuestTimer","GLOBAL") should give you some value expressing game time

If all this is set, then you are in the waiting period between quests.

- did you kill Basilius?

- did you kill Mutamin?

- did you meet Valeria?

- B!GavinMessenger1

- B!GavinMessenger2

- B!GavinMessenger3

Basilius is dead

Variables:

B!GavinMessenger1 is 3

This looks like the Basilius quest is finished (with otr without Gavin) and the Mutamin quest is not yet started, so the temple has no task for you. There is a five day wait in between quests or even more depending on what timers you selected at install.

- Global("B!GavinMutaminQuestTimer","GLOBAL") should give you some value expressing game time

So being summoned to the temple was a bit of a misnomer? I'm replaying the part between where I finish with the mines and where Gavin reminds it has been three days since he was summoned to the temple.... so why is it three days? Why not five?

- did you kill Basilius?

- did you kill Mutamin?

- did you meet Valeria?

- B!GavinMessenger1

- B!GavinMessenger2

- B!GavinMessenger3

Basilius is dead

Variables:

B!GavinMessenger1 is 3

So being summoned to the temple was a bit of a misnomer? I'm replaying the part between where I finish with the mines and where Gavin reminds it has been three days since he was summoned to the temple.... so why is it three days? Why not five?

3 or 5 days may depend on your install choices, Gavin allows you to select the interval for his banters etc. It is five in my game, I just have Gavin in my current party and by coincidence I finished his third quest just yesterday.

I suggest that maybe you post a savegame here - it will be easiest to see what (if at all) the matter is. The mod uses a large number of interacting globals and timers here. Also, Ajantis or Coran in party can have an effect on the plot.

Global("B!GavinMessenger1","GLOBAL",3) means either: You were at the temple with Gavin after the messenger and Kelddath gave the Bassilus quest (obviously not in your case), or: you've heard from Kelddath about Bassilus before any messenger (with or without Gavin in the party) - but then there shouldn't be a messenger concerning the Bassilus quest for Gavin. *scratches head* Do you remember when you talked to Kelddath in the temple and heard about Bassilus, was it with Gavin in the party, did Gavin join afterwards, or did he leave the group somewhere before or after Bassilus was killed?

Wait - did you kill Bassilus *before* you spoke to Kelddath and Gavin the first time?

What game are you playing (BG:EE, Tutu, BGT) and which version of Gavin?

Thank you, Roxanne, for supporting Gavin.

(If this would be my mod I would consider changing Gavin's joining motivation from "want to earn money" to "want to earn money and my High Priest offers a reward for killing this Bassilus so why don't we do that together" and skip the first messenger. It's not my mod, though.)

Edited by jastey

Global("B!GavinMessenger1","GLOBAL",3) means either: You were at the temple with Gavin after the messenger and Kelddath gave the Bassilus quest (obviously not in your case), or: you've heard from Kelddath about Bassilus before any messenger (with or without Gavin in the party) - but then there shouldn't be a messenger concerning the Bassilus quest for Gavin. *scratches head* Do you remember when you talked to Kelddath in the temple and heard about Bassilus, was it with Gavin in the party, did Gavin join afterwards, or did he leave the group somewhere before or after Bassilus was killed?

Wait - did you kill Bassilus *before* you spoke to Kelddath and Gavin the first time?

(If this would be my mod I would consider changing Gavin's joining motivation from "want to earn money" to "want to earn money and my High Priest offers a reward for killing this Bassilus so why don't we do that together" and skip the first messenger. It's not my mod, though.)

Yes, everything looks fine, except that this messenger has appeared at all.

I played with Gavin in EET just these days, I killed Bassilius before I took Gavin into the party (I had Drake before). When the messenger appeared in my case and I went to the temple, I received the Mutamin quest correctly. And a few days later the Valeria task. So in my case it all worked fine.

With respect ti changing Gavin's motivation - that Drake NPC I just tested comes with exactly that motivation for Basilius. It may not be a good idea to change Gavin, might look like a copy. (But maybe few people will ever recognize or even install both in the same game...)

Edited by Roxanne

I got the quest *just* before adding Gavin to the party. And I tried to kill Bassilus before going to the mines but at that time he was too tough an opponent so I headed to the mine, encountered the messenger, did the mine and then went back to the temple.

Trying to figure out how to upload an attachment to this forum. Help?

I got the quest *just* before adding Gavin to the party. And I tried to kill Bassilus before going to the mines but at that time he was too tough an opponent so I headed to the mine, encountered the messenger, did the mine and then went back to the temple.

Trying to figure out how to upload an attachment to this forum. Help?

Put a complete savegame folder into a zip. rar or 7z file.

Select the *More Reply Options* at the bottom right of the window where you type your reply. This will make the *Attach File* function available.

If the file is too big, you may need to upload the attachment to something like dropbox and post the link, but for such an early game save this probably is not necessary.

I'd definietly need to see a savegame for this. If "B!GavinMessenger1" is at "3", neither the messenger should spawn nor should he have a valid dialogue. If Bassilus is dead, the messenger shouldn't spawn, either. It can't be a mixup with another of Gavin's quests either or the other variables would be set, so something is very wrong.

With respect ti changing Gavin's motivation - that Drake NPC I just tested comes with exactly that motivation for Basilius. It may not be a good idea to change Gavin, might look like a copy. (But maybe few people will ever recognize or even install both in the same game...)

That's funny, I didn't know that. I guess it's kind of obvious, for a cleric NPC of Lathander. (I won't change Gavin anyway - I'm not the author and busy with other things.)

00000077-still no Gavin Quest.7z is the save where I pulled my global variables for you. Please note that the messenger has come and gone (which is why I created the save) and Basilius is dead.

00000074-Chapter 2 start..7z was created AFTER I received the quest but BEFORE I went into the caves. I've already taken a stab at killing Basilius and found him too difficult. The messenger has not yet arrived. I include this save in case someone wants to try and reproduce the bug. Assuming it is a bug.

(bonus points if you can figure out why my reputation isn't increasing).

000000077-still no gavin quest.7z

000000074-chapter 2.7z

00000077-still no Gavin Quest.7z is the save where I pulled my global variables for you. Please note that the messenger has come and gone (which is why I created the save) and Basilius is dead.

00000074-Chapter 2 start..7z was created AFTER I received the quest but BEFORE I went into the caves. I've already taken a stab at killing Basilius and found him too difficult. The messenger has not yet arrived. I include this save in case someone wants to try and reproduce the bug. Assuming it is a bug.

(bonus points if you can figure out why my reputation isn't increasing).

The situation in the 077 save seems to be this

- Basilius quest is done - the messenger came but you killed Basilius before the temple gave it to you. Global "BGAVINKELDDATHBASSILUS" is set to 1, that means that the priest has acknowledged that Gavin's Basilius task is considered done. There must have been a dialogue line when you reported Basilius death to Kelddath.

- The Mutamin quest has been started, i.e. this script block has triggered

IF
    IfValidForPartyDialog(Myself) OK, Gavin is in party
    !Dead("mutamin")  // Mutamin   OK, is not dead
    GlobalGT("B!GavinBassilusQuest","GLOBAL",4) OK, global is 5
    Global("B!GavinMutaminQuest","GLOBAL",0)  OK. was 0 and changed to 1 afterwards
    !Global("X#AjantisCoranChallenge","GLOBAL",1) Not applicable, none of them there
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("B!GavinMutaminQuest","GLOBAL",1)  THIS HAS BEEN SET
        SetGlobalTimer("B!GavinMutaminQuestTimer","GLOBAL",FIVE_DAYS) THIS HAS BEEN SET Timer is set to 2222943 where current game time is lower still
END

So the situation is that you are currently waiting for the messenger to give you the second invitation to the temple in which you will receive the Mutamin quest.

I can see no problem in this situation.

PS - The FIVE_DAYS wait is what I have in my install. Those intervals can be selected in the mod installation, so there might be another period in yours.

Edited by Roxanne