Raoul in the Bridge District broken?

Guest penguin

Guest penguin

Hey, I just installed the song and silence mod, since my Blade is getting a little bored, but I have a problem. Rauol shows up in the bridge district, but when I hold my cursor over him, he has no name, and when I try to talk to him, I just get a blank dialogue window and the game locks up.

The other mods I have installed (in this basic order) are:

Kelsey

Saerileth

Yasraena

Divine Remix

aVenger's Rogue Rebalance

Song of Silence

(I have a few more, like Baldurdash's stuff, and NPC Kit pack, but those were both installed a LONG time ago, and neither has ever caused problems with anything else.)

If anyone could offer suggestions as to how to fix this, my Blade and I would both appreciate it. Thanks much.

At a rough guess, it sounds as though the text for the character wasn't installed properly. Were you running the game in the background while you installed mods?

Unless someone more educated in the ins and outs of things suggests something better, I'd say uninstall all the mods you've got there and try a reinstall in the same order. It's a sledgehammer fix, but it should work.

Guest penguin

tried that :p no good, unfortunately. I think I'm going to try a full clean install this weekend when I have time then reinstall every mod, but if anyone could tell me a) what's wrong right now or b) if I have any incompatible mods installed, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the suggestion.

As Rob suggested, this kind of problem is caused by running something that's accessing BG2 resources while you install the mod. Now this could be the game itself, NI, InfExp, or another copy of WeiDU (installing another mod). I've never seen a case of this problem that wasn't caused by that, and therefore solved by reinstalling that mod with nothing else running at the time.

It can't be caused by 'incompatible mods' as no non-WeiDU mod would overwrite the dialog.tlk and therefore maim S&S's strings.

Edit: And if his name still isn't appearing afterwards (but his dialogue is) it'll be because you're using a saved game once Raoul has already spawned. If you start a new game his name would appear.

Guest penguin

oh yeah, I already tried reinstalling the mod...like 3 times...ish. Btw, neither the dialogue nor the name is appearing. I think it'll be somewhat easier and more foolproof if I just backup my saves, then reinstall the game (which is what I'm going to do). But I'm just wondering, do i HAVE to start a new game to see Raoul and use the new HLAs, abilities, etc.? Thanks for all the help.

Guest penguin

update: k, fresh reinstall of game + mods worked...except my save games are corrupted now (character names are replaced by random blocks of text). I've had this happen to me once before, so this means I have to start a new game....*sigh* oh well. lol. Thanks again for all the support.

Archived