Minsc.cre incorrectly altered on BGT installation

Anomaly

Hi,

With a minimum install of BG2 FixPack + BGT 1.12 + BG1 NPC Project (only the core component), we encounter a problem if the player reaches Nashkel while still at level 1.

BGT will try to spawn MINSC.CRE if entering Nashkel while PC level is 1.

But MINSC.CRE is altered by the core component (showed by WeiDU --change-log). He is still level 1, but he has 36293 XP (ready to level up as high as level 6), and his colors are also different.

MINSC2.CRE, MINSC4.CRE and MINSC6.CRE are correct though and unaffected by the core component, so the bug is invisible to players who were level 2 or more before entering Nashkel (the majority of them).

Thanks for reporting in!

~%tutu_var%minsc.cre~
~%tutu_var%minsc2.cre~
~%tutu_var%minsc4.cre~
~%tutu_var%minsc6.cre~
<<stuff>>

BEGIN
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%crefile%~ THEN BEGIN
COPY_EXISTING ~%crefile%~ ~override~
LAUNCH_PATCH_FUNCTION FJ_CRE_VALIDITY
INT_VAR do_message = 1
END
<<stuff>>

PATCH_IF (~%crefile%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~%tutu_var%minsc.cre~ = 0) BEGIN
WRITE_LONG 0x18 36293 // Current XP
END

So, we explicitly and specifically patch minsc.cre and _minsc.cre to 36293 xp. I'll go look at the worklogs to figure out *why* we do it, but we definitely make the intentional choice to do so. My guess is that it is a survivability patch from one of the early fixpacks, like Dudleyville or something, to increase the odds of a L1 party attempting those blasted Kobold archers (few L1 parties would make it past the first shower of arrows unless *someone* is the expected level). Colors, though... unless it is something odd going on within the validity check, we don't mess with those even in the second "change minsc" component:

/* Minsc */
BEGIN @1025 /* The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait. */
 GROUP @1008 /* The BG1 NPC Project: Portrait Changes and Additions */
 REQUIRE_FILE ~override/X#BG1NPCCore.G3~ @1004 /* BG1 NPC Required Changes component is not installed. */
ACTION_FOR_EACH minsc IN minsc minsc2 minsc4 minsc6 _minsc _minsc2 _minsc4 _minsc6 BEGIN
 ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME "%minsc%.cre" BEGIN
COPY_EXISTING "%minsc%.cre" ~override~ // Minsc
  PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x2d3) THEN BEGIN // protects against invalid files
	WRITE_ASCII 0x34 ~NMINSCS~ #8 // small portrait
	WRITE_ASCII 0x3c ~NMINSCM~ #8 // medium portrait
  END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
 END
END

So, none of our stuff should be changing the colors - can you please reconfirm this?

In BGT, minsc6.cre has XP set to 32293 and is level 6. But a ranger gets level 6 at 36000. So the patch to 36293 was probably intended to target ~%tutu_var%minsc6.cre~ instead, in order to give him XP to match the level he has.

All the others, minsc.cre, minsc2.cre and minsc4.cre have XP matching their level (1, 2 and 4 respectively).

I see no difference in color in all minsc CRE files (haven't checked in game), both with only BGT (1.13 beta 3) and with BGT 112 and BG1 NPC v19 (no change with v20 in that regard). I noticed a difference in gear between minsc.cre and the others, one having LEAT01 (leather) and the others LEAT04 (studded leather). The two items use different colors. I guess that explains the color mistery. ;)

Isaya's right about my color problems : it was due to the fact that Minsc.cre is wearing leather armor while the other Minscs are wearing studded leather. With the same armor, they look like twins. So please disregard what I said about the colors since everything is right on this side. ;)

This is still a problem... my char#1 is a level 1 sorcerer.

th_minscbug.jpg

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v20

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Initialise (required by almost all other mod components): v20

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #1070 // Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: v20

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Move Boo out of quick access and into Minsc's pack: v20

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge: v20

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Dark Side-based kobold upgrade: v20

~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Nythrun's Level 1 NPCs: List party-joinable NPCs (required to install any NPC components): v1.7

~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #55 // Dudleyfix for BG1 NPCs: v1.7

~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Fix BG1 NPC spells and innate abilities: v1.7

~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Update game references to NPC classes/kits: v1.7

~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1206 // Imoen: v1.7

~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod -> for the original Infinity Engine (CHOOSE THIS!): Widescreen Mod v3.02

The mod hasn't been updated since the bug was discovered. Version 20 was already available when the bug was reported. So yes, it's still there. cmorgan fixed it for the next release, though.

Easy workaround: wait until you're level 2 before entering Nashkel.

I hit this problem too.

I use an xp mod so it's a bit annoying to wait for level 2, is there another way to fix this manually? Someone on BGT forums suggested me to CreateCreature("minsc2"), but I worry that this could break scripts or create problems if I make Minsc leave the party or rejoin later.

Also another question: it seems this mod lets me divide the couples like Montaron and Xzar, if I do this are their banter breaking as well? Because they usually talk together, so I wonder if there are other consequences if I play with them separated.

Someone might come up with a workaround for the time being, but the simplest way to "fix" this is select Minsc, and use the CLUAConsole to level him up. Just add the experience right to him. Voila.

If you divide couples, then the BG1NPC content that requires they both be present does not trigger (just as if they are dead or incapacitated). We use the check

IF ~InParty("jaheira") InMyArea("jaheira") !StateCheck("jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN

on almost every line, so if someone is not in the party, or not in the same area, or is stunned/silenced/held/dead/etc. etc. the lines will not play.

BG1 NPC does not allow to break couples. But Sword Coast Stratagems does. You're probably making a confusion.

If I'm not mistaken, BG1 NPC only adds experience to Minsc.CRE. So he's still level 1 with XP for level 6. So you just have to avoid levelling him up. Then use Shadow Keeper to bring Minsc back to 258 XP (that his normal value for level 1 version) in your save game just after recruting him. Or use the CLUA console and the command

CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP("258")

You need to select Minsc and set the mouse pointer on his portrait before typing Enter after typing the command, in order for the game to apply the command to Minsc and not to another character.

Other way : update the bg1npc.tp2 file as described a few posts above. Then run setup-bg1npc.exe and ask to reinstall BG1 NPC.

Archived